Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OEM Part Availability

OEM Part Availability

I have wanted to share this for sometime as many questions have been asked regarding how long parts (OEM) would be available for our beloved MM's.

Working for the past 21 years at a "Tier 1" supplier for Ford Motor Co., we are required by Ford to have the capability to manufacture a part for them for 10 years after production of a car/truck is haulted. This may also include part numbers for components that have gone thru a particular change while the car/truck is still in production.

In this case. a part number with a "Z" in it signifies a service part. Still brand new but it was made as a service part due to OEM no longer requiring that particular part number.

If this holds true in all cases, then we should be able to order "new service" parts until 2013/2014. IMHO.

Once that timeline is exceeded, it is off to a salvage yard.

Mike.

really?... that's good info to know! Thanks

Since most of out cars are from a parts bin, we should not have too much trouble. The front and rear bumpers were a concern -not any more, thanks.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Warped

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    Since most of out cars are from a parts bin, we should not have too much trouble. The front and rear bumpers were a concern -not any more, thanks.
    Fix your "warped drive equip"
    drive is spelled wrong

PROCHARGER SUPERCHARGER FROM F.I.T. # 007
    18psi pulley
    MMR built Stroker 5.0+.020 overbore
    Forged Crank/Manley Rods/Manley Pistons
    Billet Oil Pump
    ARP Bolts and head studs
    Snow Methanol Injection
    3500 Stall Converter (PI)
    Stryker 340 Fuel Pump
    45 lbs Injectors
    4:10 gears
    K&N Air Filter
    Factory Spoiler
    Widened Wheels
    Nittos
    170 deg thermostat
    SS Inserts
    Daniel's Colex Billet Supercharged Emblems front and rear
    Trunk organizer

Just to clear up some technicalities: A replacement part must be made available. In other words, if Ford makes a change to a part and it can replace its predicesor (I suck at spelling), then only the successor is required to be available. It has to perform the same function. Appearance parts I'm sure are not allowed to be replaced by different looking parts. The government requires replacement parts be available for 10 years after production ceases (I think gov't requirement may be anywhere between 7 - 10 years). Sometimes the supplier/manufacturer of the part no longer wants to make the part or Ford can find a cheaper source before the 10 years are up. So, if you wait 10 years to buy a part, it may not be made by the same source. But, likely it will be made off the same tools.

IMO sheet metal ( doors, fenders.,etc) should not be a problem with the sheer number of panther platform cars produced. I can see a problem with parts unique to the Marauder.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Cosmetic stuff that is unique to the MM will likely go away before 10 years pass. Many pieces for my 95 Super Coupe, that are unique to 94 - 95 SC only, have been discontinued for a year or more. I found the same thing with a 85 Marquis LTS 5.0 (Fox chassis, like an LTD LX) I owned several years ago. Unique parts on it were going after 7 or 8 years.

cheers
    Ed N.

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed
    Cosmetic stuff that is unique to the MM will likely go away before 10 years pass. Many pieces for my 95 Super Coupe, that are unique to 94 - 95 SC only, have been discontinued for a year or more. I found the same thing with a 85 Marquis LTS 5.0 (Fox chassis, like an LTD LX) I owned several years ago. Unique parts on it were going after 7 or 8 years.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Fast Ed...got a pic of that 85 Marquis LTS 5.0...for the life of me I cannot remember seeing one...willie
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

Yep, auto manufacturers are famous for not having specific parts. The MM rear bumper cover is embossed "MARAUDER". A replacement cover 5 years from now may fit the car but no name on it.

I have already purchased a new set of MM floor mats and a good condition rear bumper cover. Sort of like wearing belt & suspenders.

Quote Originally Posted by prchrman
    Fast Ed...got a pic of that 85 Marquis LTS 5.0...for the life of me I cannot remember seeing one...willie
    I don't have any pics of the car unfortunately. It got T-boned on Hwy. 401, the main east-west highway across southern Ontario, around 1992. I only had the car for maybe 2 years.

From what I understand, the Marquis LTS may have been a Canadian-sold vehicle only. Over the years I've spoken to many Fox LTD / Marquis enthusiasts in the U.S., and some of them weren't even aware of the LTS, only the Ford version LTD LX. I had heard a total production number of about 1400 units.

It was sort of a forerunner of the Marauder. Most of the chrome trim was done in a dark charcoal colour, it had front buckets, console, floor-shifted AOD, and a tachometer. The drivetrain was a throttle-body injected 5.0 HO, with 3.27 gears. Had the Mustang GT quick-ratio steering rack, 1.3" front stab. bar, and the front springs were 650 lbs./inch, same as the ones sold as an upgrade for the 5.0 Mustangs in the Ford Racing Parts catalogue.

cheers
    Ed N.

Quote Originally Posted by fast Ed
    I don't have any pics of the car unfortunately. It got T-boned on Hwy. 401, the main east-west highway across southern Ontario, around 1992. I only had the car for maybe 2 years.

From what I understand, the Marquis LTS may have been a Canadian-sold vehicle only. Over the years I've spoken to many Fox LTD / Marquis enthusiasts in the U.S., and some of them weren't even aware of the LTS, only the Ford version LTD LX. I had heard a total production number of about 1400 units.

It was sort of a forerunner of the Marauder. Most of the chrome trim was done in a dark charcoal colour, it had front buckets, console, floor-shifted AOD, and a tachometer. The drivetrain was a throttle-body injected 5.0 HO, with 3.27 gears. Had the Mustang GT quick-ratio steering rack, 1.3" front stab. bar, and the front springs were 650 lbs./inch, same as the ones sold as an upgrade for the 5.0 Mustangs in the Ford Racing Parts catalogue.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Thanks for the info Ed...I was unaware of such a vehicle...sounds pretty cool...thinking about putting my 460ci in a 2 door 84 mercury marq...willie
    ---------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder BLACK
    SS inserts
    Addco sway bars
    JLT CAI
    4.10's
    MO's custom tune
    275 rwhp/303 lbs. torque

voltson Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by prchrman View Post
    Here's a pic of my '85 Marquis LTS (my apologies for digging up an old thread!)

I consider it "Marauder Jr"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by voltson; 01-02-2008 at 01:24 PM.

God's head center caps

So that means that the center caps for our wheels being hawked on e-bay as "rare" will be available for 10 years? The way they are being described, it makes one wonder if there is a "problem" acquiring them from FOMOCO.

Isnt it a 'law' that auto MFGS have to make OEM parts available a minimum of 5 years after the last model rolls off the assembly line?

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Isnt it a 'law' that auto MFGS have to make OEM parts available a minimum of 5 years after the last model rolls off the assembly line?
    That is what I have heard, that for 5yrs after last mfg that parts should be available and I believe this includes all parts including body parts, trim, etc.

And it sounds like service parts are for 10yrs, but not sure if Marauder specific body parts fit into this category or if the law states they must be the same in operation and appearance or just meet OEM operation requirements.

The 5yr rule is only something I've heard never seen proof of it myself.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information