Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote oil filter is in

Talking Remote oil filter is in

I took advantage of the long weekend and installed my remote filter kit. The hardest part was getting the plumbing dressed nice but after two trips to Ace hardware I was up and running. Besides the obvious benefit of easy oil changes the remote filter also lets you prefill the oil filter with fresh oil before installing and puts the filter into the airflow for added cooling. I took some pics and will post later.

Kit was JC whitney universal. It did require about $15 in fittings to make the install plumb clean. I also ported and polished the adapters for better flow. About $60 total.
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

Where did you mount the filter and how much oil pressure did you loose??

I have heard that long runs of hose can reduce pressure but I have no experience with it.

Marauderjack

PS: Anything to improve the removal of the filter is a BIG PLUS to me!!!
    No Marauder

This thread is usless without pictures.

*hint* *hint*

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Sorry for the blurry images.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

Thanks for the update.

I like this idea. Getting to the filter in the stock location is a b!tch. Just be carefull when driving over rough terrain. You may also be victim of a vicious prank is some dipstick (punn intended) removes the filter for you. Keep an eye on the oil pressure guage. You'll get very little notice if you have a problem.

Do you have a "real" oil pressure guage?

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

It looks good. What does something like that go for?
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita
    It looks good. What does something like that go for?
    And what part number for the kit did you use from the JC whitney and for the other parts as well if it's not too much trouble?
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Quote Originally Posted by torinodan
    And what part number for the kit did you use from the JC whitney and for the other parts as well if it's not too much trouble?
    Here's the kit I used
    http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000167267
    I also bought some brass fiting from ACE hardware to get the hose to leave the part the filter screws on at 90degrees. Also one fitting is above the other.

Performance
    Dress

Quote Originally Posted by Defyant
    Thanks for the update.

I like this idea. Getting to the filter in the stock location is a b!tch. Just be carefull when driving over rough terrain. You may also be victim of a vicious prank is some dipstick (punn intended) removes the filter for you. Keep an eye on the oil pressure guage. You'll get very little notice if you have a problem.

Do you have a "real" oil pressure guage?
    I don't have a real oil pressure gauge.

The filter is visible from the wheel well on the drivers side. I may get a chrome cover for it. I would definity notice if it was gone.

The filter is very well protected and does not hang below anything. I have no worries about parking or sidewalks or speedbumps.

The hoses are only about 1ft long. I doubt there is much loss in pressure. Hopefully the larger filtration area compensated for any loss in pressure through the fittings which were all ported and polished for smooth flow.

Performance
    Dress

Thunderstorm A Comin

I hate to rain on this party, BUT-your JC Whitney kit appears quite similar to the $79 part number M-6881-A54 remote adapter on page 88 of the 2005 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog. And to quote-"NOTE: not recommended for performance engines". The similar M-6881-C100 kit says to use the M-6880-S instead for performance engines, which uses the (HUGE) M-6731-S ( 2 qt.?) diesel truck filter. Now, since it is well known in the USA that bigger is better, please go down to your nearest Wal-Mart and look at their Motorcraft oil filters for F350 late model (1980's to 2004) diesel trucks. There are only 2 applications-turbo and non-turbo and I believe they interchange. When you see how big they are and how big the threads are you will be ashamed of the wimpy little tiny girly-man FL-820 filters our MM's use. The M-Craft filters @ Wally-World are "street versions" of the racing filters which are even more heavy-duty yet. This is all probably over-kill for a street driven MM anyway but let's just say "it should have come from the factory with a remote filter". And yes, we do need more cowbell.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod
    I hate to rain on this party, BUT-your JC Whitney kit appears quite similar to the $79 part number M-6881-A54 remote adapter on page 88 of the 2005 Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog. And to quote-"NOTE: not recommended for performance engines". The similar M-6881-C100 kit says to use the M-6880-S instead for performance engines, which uses the (HUGE) M-6731-S ( 2 qt.?) diesel truck filter. Now, since it is well known in the USA that bigger is better, please go down to your nearest Wal-Mart and look at their Motorcraft oil filters for F350 late model (1980's to 2004) diesel trucks. There are only 2 applications-turbo and non-turbo and I believe they interchange. When you see how big they are and how big the threads are you will be ashamed of the wimpy little tiny girly-man FL-820 filters our MM's use. The M-Craft filters @ Wally-World are "street versions" of the racing filters which are even more heavy-duty yet. This is all probably over-kill for a street driven MM anyway but let's just say "it should have come from the factory with a remote filter". And yes, we do need more cowbell.
    The FL-1A the remote kit uses is 50% BIGGER than the stock FL-820S.

Performance
    Dress

Girley-men Filters

[QUOTE]"The FL-1A the remote kit uses is 50% BIGGER than the stock FL-820S" ...The FL1A is puny compared to the Diesel truck oil filters, which are also reasonably priced, I might add. The M-6880-S mount has dual 3/4" pipe inlet and outlets. USA:bigger=better.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Question

Myself I would use the FL1A because it still fits very well in about any area you want to put it. Now, your right, the Diesel truck oil filters are bigger in every aspect but to be used in the same area might not a good idea. Where would you mount that kind of filter to where they wouldn't get torn out from under the car?
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Those Diesel Oil filters are that much bigger because they have to filter 14-16 Quarts of Oil....not 6 quarts.

I've got a Canton remote oil filter set up with a FL1-A and it works great.
    2020 Ford Ranger STX DFI Turbo 2.3L 10 speed Auto
    2017 Ford Fusion Sport DFI Twin Turbo 2.7L V6 6 speed Auto (14.000 ET bone stock in 82 degree heat)
    1985 Mustang GT 5.0 Hatchback 4bbl 5 speed manual (525 HP 363 Dart block/AFR heads with Magnum 6 speed in the works)
    1984 Mustang GT 2.3 Turbo Convertible FI. 5 speed manual
    1966 427 Cobra (ERA) 468 all Aluminum FE 2x4bbl 5 speed manual

SOLD : 2003 Mercury Marauder FI. 4 speed Auto
    w/Crower Cams & Springs, +1mm SS valves, mild port job on the cylinder heads.
    Extrude honed intake w/PHP spacer.
    Kooks Headers w/2.5" High Flow Cats & X-Pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, OEM tailpipes w/Megs Tips
    B&M Trans cooler w/fan, Level 10 Shift Kit, Art Carr Hughes Deep Sump Trans Pan,
    SVO Rearend Girdle, Redline Gear lube; OEM 3.55s
    'Real Gauges' + matching Trans Temp, Oil Temp, Water Temp, Fuel Pressure, Vacuum/Boost Gauge
    Built: 10/15/02 Bought: 12/16/02 Sold: 10/15/18

Canton Can

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 295000" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>Joe Walsh</TD><TD class=alt2>Those Diesel Oil filters are that much bigger because they have to filter 14-16 Quarts of Oil....not 6 quarts.

I've got a Canton remote oil filter set up with a FL1-A and it works great.
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Diesel filters are over-kill for street use (on a car, not a truck). That Canton sounds like a nice set-up for an MM. Some photo details would be nice! There is also a longer version of the FL1A that is said to hold 2 qt's.

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information