Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blown oil pan and both valve cover gaskets blown

Blown oil pan and both valve cover gaskets blown

You might ask how? I took my car down to the dealer because I thought it had an oil pan gasket leak. The service manager calls me back and says I have an oil pan, both valve covers and some other gasket blown and leaking oil. He says it because I installed a JLT intake and the PVC breather was actually a vacuum and very important in relieving pressure from the crackcase so the oil had no choice but to blow the gaskets out? Anyone else here/ now about this and not post it? thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LVMarauder
    You might ask how? I took my car down to the dealer because I thought it had an oil pan gasket leak. The service manager calls me back and says I have an oil pan, both valve covers and some other gasket blown and leaking oil. He says it because I installed a JLT intake and the PVC breather was actually a vacuum and very important in relieving pressure from the crackcase so the oil had no choice but to blow the gaskets out? Anyone else here/ now about this and not post it? thanks.
    The JLT intake tube doesn't change the vacuum your engine creates in the intake tube, if there was a crankcase ventilation problem, it would be caused by the PCV valve. Other have the JLT with no such problems, it is just another dealer blaming aftermarket parts for whatever goes wrong with car.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    The JLT intake tube doesn't change the vacuum your engine creates in the intake tube, if there was a crankcase ventilation problem, it would be caused by the PCV valve. Other have the JLT with no such problems, it is just another dealer blaming aftermarket parts for whatever goes wrong with car.
    I'm calling the same Did they show you the "BLOWN OUT" gaskets? I thought these were the reuseable ones that had a metal core in them that makes them reusable? Still sounds like
    Last edited by torinodan; 09-21-2005 at 07:01 PM.
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Atleast they are only gaskets.

The PCV system is required for emissions it vent crankcase fumes into the

intake to burn the fumes..if this system is plugged.pressures can build up
    and blow gaskets..All engines are vented in some way to relieve this pressure.
    If you have plugged or blocked of hese vents you would have created your
    Leak problem..If you vented it properly to the intake from the rocker cover
    and the PCV valve is still in place then it is the dealers problem and it should still
    be warrantied...if the JLT intake is connected properly the vent hose should
    be connected(all new intakes include the vent hose)..does this help??
    unless you have purposely disabled and plugged these vents.the dealer is
    full of it!!
    Last edited by grampaws; 09-21-2005 at 07:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokie
    The JLT intake tube doesn't change the vacuum your engine creates in the intake tube,
    LV...clear something up for us first...

JLT did offer another part with their kit. A replacement pcv breather cap/filter. It was used if one deleted the hose from the intake tube to crankcase.

Did you do this? If so, they have a leg to stand on. There was a long discussion here about those old school shiney breather caps we once all used on the older carburated motors. The consensus concluded that we should likely not delete that hose from our intake tube to valve cover with one of these.
    2017 Niro

Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER

JLT did offer another part with their kit. A replacement pcv breather cap/filter. It was used if one deleted the hose from the intake tube to crankcase.

Did you do this? If so, they have a leg to stand on. There was a long discussion here about those old school shiney breather caps we once all used on the older carburated motors. The consensus concluded that we should likely not delete that hose from our intake tube to valve cover with one of these.
    Now that is a real good question you got there?
    2003A Mercury Marauder. Sold it, miss it.

USMC 06-10-96 to 06-21-06. AH-1W and UH-1N!!!! OORAH!!

Did the pcv valve get removed? It is on the passenger side and connects between the intake manifold and the valve cover. If that's connected it doesn't matter (as far as crankcase pressure) where the other valve cover is connected (intake tube, breather, etc.). However, if the pcv valve is still connected and a breather is installed on the other side it can cause problems in that the engine is drawing in unmetered air (didn't go thru the MAF sensor).

BUT, since the intake tube is aftermarket, the dealer can blame it. Maybe it's BS but that's the way it is.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Get a second opinon, have the shop , show you what is leaking.
    Have them write it down for you and report back.
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

as long as there is a vent the crankcase pressures should not build up
    enough to damage the gaskets..this vent is for air to enter the block..
    the PCV valve side is vaccum to draw of the fumes and is not altered
    by most CAI systems..the vent cap should relieve pressure if the PCV gets
    plugged(unlikely and should still be warrantied)..As long as the install
    followed the instructions its installation will not cause your problem..
    wash engine snug up the cover bolts and drive for a couple of days
    recheck and it will probably be loose bolts..might not even have to replace
    any gaskets..Are they leaking or blown out??
    Quote Originally Posted by CRUZTAKER

Last edited by grampaws; 09-21-2005 at 07:31 PM.

I learned the hard way.

I bought the JLT with the little breather A/F thing. My car ran like ***** because the unmetered air situation mentioned above. I promptly modded the JLT to accept the PCV hose.

If you modified the crank case vent system (..to keep the oil out of the intake?) you may be stuck.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

If our guessing about the pcv system being bypassed is correct, I would suggest getting the car back and re-connecting the pcv system properly to see if the leakage stops. Putting vacuum back on the crankcase may solve the leakage problem. Clean up the engine really well just to see. If the leakage doesn't stop, put all the stock stuff back on and take it to a different dealer (assuming the car is still under warranty AND the current dealer doesn't void the warranty for you).
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Wow...The coincidence here is spooky! I'm working on problem right now!

Everyone who went to Gainsville last Saturday, got a chance to see what a screwed up PCV system looks like on a race track. Everyone there, including track officials, thought I blew my engine in the traps. Clouds of smoke, and a tiny tiny squirt of oil out of the valve cover. Not enough to call a leak, but enough to light up when it hits hot pipes. Under normal crankcase pressure, nothing to look at, nothing to trace, but at 6200 RPM/120MPH, a waterfall...

It's fixed now (I think), but the cause is completely my fault. About a month ago, Zack and I changed over from a blow through MAF, to a suck through. This left the driver's side PCV hose with no place to go, and taking the advice of a professional Ford wrench and seasoned race car builder, I attached a simple PCV valve to a push in breather (yes, like the old days) and let her rip.

Over the 1100 mile trip to FL., I needed to add one quart of oil. I should have taken a hint here, but I didn't. Just before going to the track at Gainsville, I changed the oil and filter, and didn't clean the frame as good as I thought.

I wanted my first pass down the track to be a "street trim" pass, street tires, pump gas and tune. I knew I would go nowhere fast in ETs, but I wanted this index anyway. First pass, 14.10/110 MPH, this MM comes on very strong with proper traction. At the timing shack, I got pulled down by officials. After some discussion, I returned to my pit and some of y'all came over and wondered if I blew something. All I could do is shrug, everything seemed fine.

More discussion with officials and I went off to clean my engine bay, the residue of my oil change indicated I was blowing oil on the track, in "their not so humble opinion." That done, back to the water box, still in street trim.

I wanted to see what was happening, and I asked Claude (Carfixer) to pilot. He did several burnouts for the officials, no leaks, no smoke. Claude went on to make a pass, and we all saw it. Tons of smoke coming blowing out of the car when Claude got up off the throttle in the traps. Serious smoke, blown engine looking smoke.

Found a drop of oil on the frame which suggests a pin hole leak that could become a water hose leak under crankcase pressure. Numbers wiped, nothing I could do about it until I get home. I lost a quart of oil somewhere in this, and used another quart on the way home. The following Tuesday, Zack and I attacked this with another plan.

The breather wasn't breathing at all, I used a cheap aftermarket PCV valve, not the suggested Ford FV-111 for supercharged engines. My second error was relying on the crankcase pressure to vent on it's own. It does not, not very well anyway. So, we routed a 3/8" hose from the driver's side vent, around the back of the engine and into the upper intake manifold. Then we added a vent to the intake elbow before the supercharger, and routed the passenger PCV here, again with 3/8" hose. Now, instead of just letting the crankcase vent, I'm sucking gasses out.

We also completed a leak-down test to see if there was any damage, or other concerns causing, or, resulting in this "blue smoke at shut down" problem. Everything seems okay, all I can do is monitor from here.

I had a JLT intake on my MM for a while, I wasn't pleased with it. But, I recall that there are several ways to install it, depending on your particular MM. I suppose LV could have made decisions similar to my choices, and that could blow gaskets if left unattended. OTOH, I'm not full of trust for dealership wrenches, the advice I took came from one, and look what it got me.

We got into this last time. So, I'll only state that if you are supercharged and keep the stock PCV system, check it occasionally for oil build up. There are some Mustang owners who have experienced the supercharger sucking oil out through the PCV hoses (or they have more blow by). Perhaps MM oil baffling is better.

Would the Steeda Oil Separater kit help this problem out ?
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information