Thread: In hopes of making one last push this fall....

MikesMerc Guest

In hopes of making one last push this fall....

...I decided to pick up a fresh set of Niittos

Man these things are sticky!!

I was going to wait for a fresh set in the spring, but I just haven't been able to lay down any good times with the new NOS set up. So, I decided to go for it this fall in the cool temps. Dave and I are going to be headed to Milan in the next week or two and I wanted to be ready. With some decent track prep and some fresh meats maybe I can put up some good numbers before the snow flies.

Man, I luv fresh tires
    Attached Images Attached Images

MI2QWK4U Guest
    Amen Brother! Discount Tire Direct is great. My local Discount tire hooked me up by mounting and balancing them for me since I bought them from their online company. Mike and I realized that we pushed the last set of Nittos WAY to far, and as a result the last few times to tha track we were running on tires worse than stock. The compound became hard and resulted in terrible traction. We are both hoping for some brisk fall air, and the Nittos to hook up for some better than ever times.

MikesMerc Guest
    Good point Dave. We have both experienced the point where the Nittos just loose their traction.

I can say this for certainty: whoever said running drag radials down to the point that they look like slicks makes for good traction (slick like)....well, they are wrong

My plan is to head out to Milan on Wednesday for test and tune if the weather is cooperating, I won't go if it's going to be to warm, come on a long usually isn't that busy this time of year. The set I had I got from Discount Tire Direct as well, I liked the heat cycle treatment for those of us not experienced enough to break in a fresh set. Oh well, maybe I'll try again next season on the widened rims and tires.
    2003 Marauder, 300A, Black/Dark Charcoal
    Adopted August 8, 2007. Retired August 8 2014. Trilogy #234 installed May 2011, SS Inserts, Factory spoiler, widened rims, Nittos, Permachrome rims, 3.2 blower pulley.

2004 DTR/Dark Charcoal,
    Adopted: April 2004 Retired: February 2006
    Trilogy #34 Supercharger,SS Inserts,Factory spoiler,K&N AirCharger,Moonroof,Heated seats,6 disc

2003 300A, Black,
    Adopted: June 2002 Retired: April 2004
    Rienhart stage one.

Quote Originally Posted by MikesMerc
    Well, ain't them purdy?
    John
    (oldekid)
    2004 DTR MM (Reba)
    Build Date: 05/25/2004
    # 3020 of 3213
    # 931 of 981 DTRs

I don't know too much about drag tires, but do you shave off about 1/8 of an inch off the tread before you use em?

ummm, heat cycled.

Have a great time guys! This thread will need results and pictures!

jeremy, still cleaning burnt rubber of my wheel wells.

MikesMerc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepSea117
    I don't know too much about drag tires, but do you shave off about 1/8 of an inch off the tread before you use em?
    Nope. They are ready to go as they are from the factory.

Tread depth is already pretty low when you get them brand new...which is why they can be dangerous for wet roads if you're not careful.

Now that they come heat cycled, all you need to do is mount em up and hit the track!

MI2QWK4U Guest
    It just occured to me that the Nittos i just replaced are 2 years old and about 10,000+ miles on them. When I talked to a Nitto Engineer this summer, he said the Heat Cycling is probably the single best thing you can do for the performance of the tire. If done properly it will make all the difference in the world. I probably didnt heat them up properly when I got them 2 years ago, and I have paid the price, chasing traction all year. I hope for some new best times.....

Cartman Guest
    How much tread is left after 10k miles and how many more could you expect to get out of them? Are they a bad choice of a daily driver tire if you don't drag?

MikesMerc Guest
    Dave's are almost bald at 10,000 miles, and mine are sitting with about 1/16 tread after 7,000.

The real wear issue is taking them to the track. With the burnouts Dave and I do, we shave HUGE mileage off at the track. I'm usually scraping rubber from my rear quarter panels after a track day.

All and all, without track burnouts, I'd guess you could get 12 to 15,000 mile on them.

The only issue with them being daily driver tires is that they aren't great in the rain. I've been in the rain with them numerous times without any problems, but I take it real easy when its raining. You could definitely hydroplane in the deeper puddles.

That said, I leave mine on for every day use. I'm not a daily driver, though, and it usually only sees nice days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman
    Are they a bad choice of a daily driver tire if you don't drag?
    I'm on my third pair, and my Marauder is a daily driver. They grip a lot better on the street from a dead start than standard radials do, but at the track is where they really shine.

Like Mike stated, you just have to use some self-control in the rain, and slow down more than you usually would. But on a Marauder, you really don't need them unless you have some means of forced induction. Unless you just buy them for how cool they make your car look because of the additional width. But if it's just the looks you want, you can also go with the Goodyear F1 P295/45/18 tires. They won't grip quite as good as drag radials will though. Especially on the track.

One other thing about the drag radials is that the rubber they're made of is more sensitive to temperature extremes than standard radials are. When it's 70 degrees or above, they grip a lot better than standard radials do even without doing a burnout to heat them up, but when the temperatures begin to dip into the 50's, their superior traction characteristics disappear, unless a burnout is done to heat up the rubber. And in 40 degree temperatures w/out any burnout, the drag radials can be downright dangerous on the street since they actually grip less than the stock radials do at that temperature.

Mike & Dave, good luck on the track!! I just know that yoiu guys will be in the 11's, and with the race gas & Nitrous oxide, who knows? Maybe even in the high 10's. I guess within another week or so, I'll be knocked out of 6th place on the "Timeslips" page and down to 7th place by Mike. I just knew my position in 3rd place wouldn't last too long. Now I'm just a mere mortal again. ....but that's okay I guess...because it's still a real fun car to drive on a daily basis....
    Last edited by BillyGman; 09-30-2005 at 11:55 PM.

...I decided to pick up a fresh set of Niittos Man these things are sticky!

I was going to wait for a fresh set in the spring, but I just haven't been able to lay down any good times with the new NOS set up. So, I decided to go for it this fall in the cool temps. Dave and I are going to be headed to Milan in the next week or two and I wanted to be ready. With some decent track prep and some fresh meats maybe I can put up some good numbers before the snow flies.
    I asked you about your drag radial wear some time ago, my stop watch was ticking away on life expectancy. You didn't reply here, not a problem though. Thanks for your update on drag radial 411, best wishes at the track.

MikesMerc Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    I asked you about your drag radial wear some time ago, my stop watch was ticking away on life expectancy. You didn't reply here, not a problem though. Thanks for your update on drag radial 411, best wishes at the track.
    Mac,

I did reply to your questions on the thread you inquired about it. My post was made about a week ago right HERE . Sorry you missed it.

If you have anything other questions just ask

Thanks for well wishes. The season is drawing to a close so a good outting is needed in short order.

Thread Information