Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: random questions

random questions

is sticking a manual trans in the mm at all feesable?

i remeber reading something about placement of the firewall(or something) making that pretty hard and thats what stopped them for trying further.

what could be done to reduce wieght without compromising the quality of the interior? (how much does those light wieght driveshafts save?)

all my f-body friends keep pestering me that the mm is too slow because of its power to weight ratio and that autos suck.

i love the looks of the marauder but how can i shut them the hell up?

ya i know i've been here awhile but not having the car yet and hearing things like this begin to break the ol' back after awhile.

help the marauder win!

I understand one of the problems with building a manual trans panther, is that underdash bracing interferes with the clutch pedal assemly. The bracing is a necessary part of the 5 star crash rating system. I think Roush ran into that issue when the Bondurant "CobraVics" were built. I'm sure 5 star crash wasn't an issue with Bondurant.
    Dave (1stMMGTCC)
    Dayton Ohio -- BIRTHPLACE of Aviation, the Automotive Self Starter, Cash Register and the highest per capita number of patents in the USA and home of the first MM with GT Coil Covers

Buy a super charger, duh...

I heard they put a 6-speed in a CV as a driving course vehicle, but that car was destroyed after it's use.

If you take out the back seats, you see how much weight can be saved by an interior strip. Yah, not much huh? These days interior pieces are so light, it's pointless to strip a car down like that unless you're serious about racing.

re: supercharger

this all started when i was talking to my ws-6 pal and mentioned mensra's time (low 12s). he responded by say that a stock ls1 f-body does 12.9-13.7 depending on driver, etc..

and he said 'you dont still want one of those do you?'

its just...arghaghagrra!!!!
    it just pisses me off, no respect i tell ya!

i know, i know...obviosuly there are things i cant change. 302hp/4200lbs vs 325hp/3444lbs. but i'm just trying to get something to shut them up...

You'll find the f-body crowd is a hard to reach crowd... Trust me, I have a friend with a 2000 SS. We're like night and day.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by the fat bastid
    he responded by say that a stock ls1 f-body does 12.9-13.7 depending on driver, etc..

Yes, it certainly does perform that way. My loaded-to-the-tits 1998 WS6 has consistently pulled 13.4s at 107.6 mph back in 2000 (before I lost the racing bug due to the arrival of the little one). And this was bone stock, NO mods whatsoever (stock AC Delco air filter and all). And the 1998 LS1s are the SLOW ones!

The 325 hp rating, by the way, is bogus. I dynoed my bone stock WS6 in 2000 and saw 310 hp at the rear wheels... that works out to about 340-350 hp at the crank! Factor in the net vs. gross adjustment and you'll get the equivalent of 425 gross circa-1970 horsepower! (In fact, the late 1971 Hemi originally rated at 425hp was re-rated 'net' at 350 hp, same compression ratio and all).

That being said, it's not all about being fast. The Viper is much faster than either the Vette or the old F-cars, but is it a better car? By the same token, what defines a better car? I would think the definition of a 'better car' differs among each and every one of us.

SaxGuy Guest
    I'm a previous owner of a 99 TransAm, and I can say that the car is very quick, and with a few mods can run low 12's but you have to ask yourself this....Is it a comfortable car? Can it seat four large adults comfortably? Is it as safe as the Marauder? The Marauder for a 4200 pound car, is fast stock. You add some after-market equipent, and you can scare the pants off of an F-Body owner. I know that when I had my TA, any 4200 car that could beat me would definetely send me back to the dealer to trade her in...LOL
    Last edited by SaxGuy; 03-25-2003 at 07:48 PM.

If you want a faster car, buy a faster car. If you want a 5 or 6
    passenger,reasonably powerful,nice riding,nice handling,rear wheel drive, full frame car, BUY THE MARAUDER!
    My .02 P.S. Yes, you can buy a quicker,faster car but, what do YOU want?
    Black 03MM-A Bought 8/26/02 Built 6/ 21/02 -SOLD
    IMOA MV1, MV2

2008 Lincoln Mark LT, loaded

I wouldn't let the F body crowd rain on your parade. Two totally different cars.....like apples and oranges. Put yourself and three friends in a F-body and take a nice cruise.........what.....they can't fit in the back? LOL the cooler wouldn't fit under the hatch........

Now take the same three friends and yourself in the Marauder....much better now, room for the cooler, you didn't have to put your seat all the way forward so your bud could fit in the back........

I had an '85 Mustang GT I stuffed a 351 Motorsport Crate motor in, plus many other mods. Had great fun with the F-body crowd showing them taillights. I have nothing but respect for F cars straight from the factory, however I have more fun now with the Marauder and my '97 CV PI daily driver. Much less attention from the police, and a better driving experience. Now I'm an old fart, but my still bone-stock Marauder puts a grin on my face.

Looks like decent superchargers are coming real quick now from some reputable people. I've been seriously considering this option once my warrantee is up. If you feel the need to open the eyes of the F body crowd supercharging would be the best way to do it. Or.....hang with us! We'll be glad to have ya just the way you are.

Best,

Paul
    Last edited by beemer; 03-25-2003 at 09:09 PM.
    "In judging others, folks will work overtime for no pay"

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by SaxGuy
    Is it a comfortable car?

For the driver, my answer is yes... although this applies to my 5'8" frame and may not be applicable to all. As for the passenger, my wife has always felt intimidated by that floor hump due to the placement of the pass-side cat converter. I've asked her to try extending her legs into the footwell, this may help her get over that feeling.

I've driven many 10+ hour stints behind the wheel of my 1998 WS6 and in all cases, I've reached my destination feeling as if I could jump right back into the car, and resume the journey.

BUT... the MM is a full-frame 4 door muscle machine... not the same thing as a 2 door sports coupe. Comparisons between either is an exercise in futility, and proves why I just can't give one up over the other.

I know I'll never be 'king of the hill' with my MM unless I delve into supercharging packages, but it doesn't bother me... I have nothing to prove.

I know I'll never be 'king of the hill' with my MM unless I delve into supercharging packages, but it doesn't bother me... I have nothing to prove.
    I hear you there TTA! Although the late model F-body cars are not to be taken lightly by anyone performance wise. My 'stang was fast, but there were plenty of faster cars out there.

Problem with speed is it can eat up your common sense. You build a car to a certain performance level and it's street manners start to go downhill fast on a sliding scale as the performance increases. Even with a supercharger, we still will be far from king of the hill, although the thrill will definately be there.

Maybe it's because I'm older, and don't care to tinker weekly anymore on some high-strung performance machine. The Marauder satisfies my vicarious need for speed, and does it with a lot of class.

Best,

Paul
    "In judging others, folks will work overtime for no pay"

SaxGuy Guest
    For me at 6'6'' and 300 pounds behind me, it was not the most comfortable car. I realized this when I got into my accident in her, and had knee damage due to the fact that my knees were on the dash to begin with. I did love that car, but I was just to big for her. (I hate saying that)

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by beemer

Problem with speed is it can eat up your common sense. You build a car to a certain performance level and it's street manners start to go downhill fast on a sliding scale as the performance increases.

No truer words have ever been spoken...

Certainly the one and only reason I've given when asked why I never modded my F-cars. I've seen too many fellow F-owners reach the point of having to seek alternate forms of transportation once their rides became too heavy for daily street use. Disinterest sets in soon afterwards, and inevitably the cars are sold.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by SaxGuy
    but I was just to big for her. (I hate saying that)

Bull$#!t... I bet you love saying that to the guys when 'boasting' about certain physical traits...

*nudge nudge wink wink*

well fat bastid, looks like a no-brainer to me....................

Hey beemer,nice front plate on the Crown Vic!!!

arrrrrgh! avast ye mateys!
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information