Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crate engine?

Crate engine?

Wanted to know if there are any create engines by Ford that are the same as the 1st generation Marauders. I know they had 390's but I thought there was another size. Sorry if this seems dumb but I couldn't find info on anything other then a 390. So are either hard to find new or used?
    "Bye Bye, Johnny B. Goode."

Create

You mean "Crate"?

PROCHARGER SUPERCHARGER FROM F.I.T. # 007
    18psi pulley
    MMR built Stroker 5.0+.020 overbore
    Forged Crank/Manley Rods/Manley Pistons
    Billet Oil Pump
    ARP Bolts and head studs
    Snow Methanol Injection
    3500 Stall Converter (PI)
    Stryker 340 Fuel Pump
    45 lbs Injectors
    4:10 gears
    K&N Air Filter
    Factory Spoiler
    Widened Wheels
    Nittos
    170 deg thermostat
    SS Inserts
    Daniel's Colex Billet Supercharged Emblems front and rear
    Trunk organizer

If I was still into FE motors, I'd get one of these crate motors:

www.genesis427.com

Well worth the money too.

John

In 1964 the Park Lane series Marauder offered a high performance 390 CI AND a dual four barrel 427 CI engine.

In l969 Mercury Marauder came with the old tried (tired) and true hi per 390 and the X-100 version had a single four barrel 429 CI engine rated at 360HP.

This is great thank you so much, sorry for my bad spelling I wasn't that awake and I'm a bad speller all around anyway.

now tell me this do you guys tink I can stuff this engine into a 1990 mercury grand marq? The last year for the boxy style.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350
    now tell me this do you guys tink I can stuff this engine into a 1990 mercury grand marq? The last year for the boxy style.
    With money, anything is possable
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

True, but will it be a simple drop on? I've seen a big block chevy in a cavalier too and I could tell that was all because of money, but it didn't fit. I want it to fit in with the factory hood closed.Is it possible or known to have been done before?

There's one thing about crate engines that you might be overlooking......if the engine that you're interested in is a carburated low tech engine that has a long duration camshaft and therefore is NOT intended to be run with a computer nor with catalytic converters, then there's no way that you can use it in any car newer than a 1979 IF you have emission laws in your homestate that are like that of the majority in the USA.

The fact is, that those big camshaft Hi-perf crate engines will NEVER pass any emissions tests even if you go and attach an exhaust with cats on it, and that's because of the valve overlap caused by the long duration cam. It will be spitting out way too many hydrocarbons no matter what you do to it, or how you tune it. So unless you live in one of the few states that do NOT have any mandatory emissions testing requirement, then you have to choose a pre-1980 vehicle to put one of those types of crate engines in so that the vehicle will be exempt from emissions testing. Most states render vehicles that are over 25 years old exempt from emissions tests.

Thanks I forgot about that, but I know of a way to pass and if hat doesn't work I know some people. but this project is years away, perhaps 10. I simply don't have time for money for it right now, just wanted to know of this would fit and by the time it's all together it probably will be old enough to be street legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead350
    .... by the time it's all together it probably will be old enough to be street legal.
    Good, because there aren't any tricks that will get a car with an engine that's equipped with a long duration camshaft through an emissions test. It's physically impossible to lower the hydrocarbon levels being spit out the tailpipes. So you would have to get someone working the testing equipment to fudge the numbers somehow, or simply lie to pass you. And I don't know if anyone will do that anymore. Atleast not in my homestate they won't.

Motorhead,

Illinois has no exempt years for testing, unless you get antique plates. My '68 still has to get tested every two years. You can play a few games to get the numbers lower, but not many. BillyG is pretty much right on. The requirements for older cars are more lax than newer cars though. But I have passed with some pretty impressive motors over the years. My 502 passed 4 yrs. ago. And the 396 that's in there now passed easily.

Wags
    "Pete, you could drop 2 tenths if you lose some weight"
    2002 Rendezvous CXL (hers)
    1968 Chevelle SS 396 convertible (not her's)
    1967 Chevelle coupe (not her's either)
    2002 Explorer Sport (not her's again)
    2002 Audi TT 225 Quattro Turbo (was daughter's, now mine. Quick little bugger)

Quote Originally Posted by Wags
    Motorhead,

Illinois has no exempt years for testing, unless you get antique plates. My '68 still has to get tested every two years. You can play a few games to get the numbers lower, but not many. BillyG is pretty much right on. The requirements for older cars are more lax than newer cars though. But I have passed with some pretty impressive motors over the years. My 502 passed 4 yrs. ago. And the 396 that's in there now passed easily.

Wags
    Well Pete, i guess that different states' emission Laws can vary quite a bit!!!! In CT, whether or not we have antique plates on our cars has nothing to do with emissions testing standards at all. the only reason why people get those plates over here is because the car taxes every year is so much cheaper (yes, we have to pay property taxes yearly for our cars here too. what a rip-off, uh?).

And also over here if the car thast you drop the engine in originally came with catalytic converters, then it will have to have them with the new engine, and will never pass the inspection w/out them. And all cars had cats by 1975. as you know, cats are very restrictive. from the looks of them, I;d have to say even more than mufflers are. Even the "Hi-flow' ones that I bought for my Marauder looked extremely restrictive when I looked down the center of them before I installed them.

FE engines

GENESIS 427 SIDE OILER CAST IRON BLOCK

M-6010-A427*
    Print This Page

click the image to see a larger picture
    Suggested Retail$3,495.00
    Sold In Units OfEach (1)

For information on where you can purchase Ford Racing Performance Parts, check out our
    Where-To-Buy section.
    Catalog Page:67
    Instruction Sheet:N/A

• M-6010-A427*
    • Siamese cyliner walls
    • Cross bolt main caps
    • Maximum bore 4.400"
    • Delivered bore, .005" under 4.250"
    • 10.170" deck height
    • Lifter galleys drilled for hydraulic lifters
    • Weight 230 lbs.
    • More technical information can be found at www.genesis427.com or call (317-357-8767)

1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Aluminum FE from Genesis

GENISIS 427 ALUMINUM CYLINDER BLOCK
    M-6010-B427*
    Print This Page
    Suggested Retail$4,695.00
    Sold In Units OfEach (1)

For information on where you can purchase Ford Racing Performance Parts, check out our
    Where-To-Buy section.
    Catalog Page:67
    Instruction Sheet:N/A

• M-6010-B427*
    • 356-T6 aluminum
    • Siamese cylinder walls
    • Flanged ductile iron sleeves
    • Cross bolt billet main caps
    • Maximum bore 4.310"
    • Delivered bore, .005" under 4.250"
    • 10.170" deck height
    • Lifter galleys drilled for hydraulic lifters
    • Weight 122lbs.
    • More technical information can be found at www.genesis427.com or call (317-357-8767)
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information