Thread: Future collectables...

Future collectables...

Just watching the Barrett-Jackson auctions and it got me thinking, what cars will be collectable 40-50 years from now? Maybe our Marauder? The '94-'96 Impala SS? A '91 Honda CRX? The new Mustang/Challenger/Camaro?

Those old LS6 Camaros, Hemi 'Cudas are bringing in over $500,000. On one of the earlier days a '55 Crown Vic got close to $55,000? What do you guys/gals think will be "hot" 40 years from now?
    -Mike

"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown

'03 Black Canadian 300A -Born 11/14/02, Adopted 04/05/05
    #6018 of 11,052

Trilogy #196 - Self-installed
    Stuff done to it. See here.

Good Question

You pose an interesting point. I think there will be a value for these and many, many other cars. The question is, will there be only 44k original miles on it? And how well will the factory paint look? If yours is supercharged, would that make it more or less valuable? I would think that a stock Marauder would be more valuable actually. That's just my .02.

Autoweek recently had an article talking about that. One thing they mentioned was to look at what's hot with the younger kids now, and that may give you an indication of what may be worth something down the road. For me, it's hard to imagine that a slammed Civic with a fartcan on it may someday be collectible and worth large dollars.

Of course, one of my best friends in HS had a 70 Barracuda with a 383. Black with white stripes. Plenty fast, and it would've been hard to convince us back then that the 7 year old car might someday be worth more than $100 grand. One equipped the same as his sold for around $140 earlier tonight.

If you've got the garage space and an extra $30K laying around, a WRX STi or an EVO VIII might be a good investment.

I would like to think that we're setting on a possible collector car. At least you can hear the same stories about our cars setting around unsold on dealer's lots for years, just like the Daytonas and Superbirds did back then. Dodge's marketing campaign for the HEMI in the trucks and 300C ("three hunnets" in my neck of the woods) has got to deserve at least some of the credit for the old MOPARs recents successes on the auction block.

For me, it's good cheap fun to talk about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetair
    You pose an interesting point. I think there will be a value for these and many, many other cars. The question is, will there be only 44k original miles on it? And how well will the factory paint look? If yours is supercharged, would that make it more or less valuable? I would think that a stock Marauder would be more valuable actually. That's just my .02.
    The highest priced collectable muscle cars are parts number matching. An untouched, pure stock Marauder will be worth more as a future collectable than a modded one.

I think Mustangs will continue to be collectable, and expect the current generation GT's and especially the Shelby GT-500 to be collectable. I think Lightnings will be collectable. Same for the SVT Focus but maybe not the SVT Contour. Of the Panthers, the Marauder may be collectable, though the vast numbers of produced Panther versions including the CV sport will keep the prices down. The T-bird will be. The Ford GT will definitly be. Harley Davidson pickups will be, especially the black/silver two tone anniversary model.

I expect Corvettes to be collectable, especially the Z06. The SSR will, espcially the "special edition" first run of 25 and the last run of 25, which have special bading. I do not think the SS Impala previous to 06 will be, thought the mid 90's versions will. The SS Malibu and supercharged Colbalt wont, much as the high performance Vega (remember that) is not. I think the last generation Camaros will eventually find themselve trading as high as the 69-70 models. The new Camaro, if produced, will be.

I don't think high performance SUV's will (Cyclone, SS Trailblazer, Adrenaline, Jeep SRT8) They just haven't shown any collector interest to date (the Cyclone), but hard to predict this. There may be a demand in the future for these, espcially with the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S.

I have plans for my SSR to garage it one day (when I buy my new Camaro SS) and expect it to rise in value. I'm hoping by 2020 there will be a buyer for it close to what I paid for it new, but in the mean time I'm gonna enjoy drives with the top down and tunes a blasting.

I think some of you will get back what you paid for your MM's one day as well.

The SRT-8 300C and Charger will be, as well as the Challenger if they build it. The Prowler will definintely be collectable.

The rules seem to be:

Bigger motors are worth more.

2 doors are worth more than 4 doors

Convertibles are worth more than 2 doors

Raity counts

If the high school kids wanted it and couldn't afford it, they will still want it when they get older and get money
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Cars are a lousy investment. Period. End of story. Those people that dropped $4-$5k on a new Vette in 1967 and sold it for 100k this week at Barrett-Jackson actually lost money. A lot of money!

Stick a $100 bill under your mattress and let me know how much you can buy with that bill 30 years from now! It might be enough for a cup of coffee and a donut. That $4-$5k then, is todays equivilent of $40-$50k. That money placed in an average mutual fund or stock would have easily out paced the cars percieved increase in value.

The only money to be made in cars isn't in the long term. Only professional gamblers/speculators that buy and sell short term might see an actually profit. For example; some one that bought a "well worn" 1969 Charger last year for $27,000 and sold it this year for $35,000.

Money at 7% interest will double every 7 years. Only a few cars can even come close to that.
    Last edited by Leadfoot281; 01-22-2006 at 06:43 PM.
    "No one is useless if they can still be used as a bad example." ~ SSgt. Miller.

"Loud pipes lose rights."

Quote Originally Posted by Leadfoot281
    Cars are a lousy investment. Period. End of story. Those people that dropped $4-$5k on a new Vette in 1967 and sold it for 100k this week at Barrett-Jackson actually lost money. A lot of money.

Stick a $100 bill under your mattress and let me know how much you can buy with that bill 30 years from now!

That $4-$5k then, is todays equivilent of $40-$50k. That money placed in an average mutual fund or stock would have easily out paced the cars percieved increase in value.

The only money to be made in cars isn't in the long term. Only professional gamblers/speculators that buy and sell short term might see an actually profit. For example; some one that bought a 1969 Charger last year for $27,000 and sold it this year for $35,000.

Money at 7% interest will double every 7 years. Only a few cars can even come close to that.
    So true. Cars are transportation, or a hobby, or both, but not an investment.
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Quote Originally Posted by Sully008
    What do you guys/gals think will be "hot" 40 years from now?
    Just like they said on the Barret-Jackson show, the FIRST
    and the LAST built vehicles bring in the most money.

So we are potentially looking at FOUR Marauders.

2003 #1 and #7839
    2004 #1 and #3213

Driving any one of these is considered a SIN.

So whomever owns these, you gotta consider yourself lucky.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

I had a 1967 "426 Hemi" Dodge Charger that I bought used in 1968 for $3000 and change!! Today it would bring $100K or more but glad I didn't keep it.....at 9 MPG and 200 miles on a quart of oil it damn near broke me while I was in college!!!

It was a terrible car...nose heavy...very powerful...noisey...scarey to drive hard on the skinny polyglas tires of that era....I should have never bought it but I did and was VERY proud for a couple of weeks.....It took 6 WEEKS to get an air cleaner element for it!! What if it had broken bad.....I would have had to get parts from Petty Enterprises at a "King's Ransome" (pun intended)!!

Like Leadfoot said....."Cars are a lousy investment"!!!

I think one of the big problems with todays cars 40 years from now will be the plastic parts....they will disintegrate in time and be unavailable in 10 years or so??

Have fun with it now...invest elsewhere... and move on when something better comes out....HOPEFULLY FROM FORD....but I doubt it??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

2003 #1: 600027 Built 1/27/02 Pre-Production

2004 #1: 600002 Built 4/16/03 (600001 Built 4/22/03)

2004 #3213: 696543 Built 6/25/04

Thread Information