Thread: X-Pipe

X-Pipe

OK, I know this has been discussed in other forums. Yes, I have done my homework and searching. I have listened and watched races. This is a specific set of questions.

The prelude: I like the sound of the H-Pipe, low and rumbly. I got the Magnaflow 18's to keep/enhance this sound. I'm happy with it. Res-delete tips are on the way (same sound louder, as I understand it). I hear x-pipes give more performance. I also know they provide a higher-pitched NASCAR-like sound. I'm working on getting tuned this Saturday so I need good, clear answers quick.

The questions:
    1) How much performance from an x-pipe? I have to decide if performance outweighs my sound preference.

2)How much (if any) performance from res-delete tips? They do reduce a restriction.

3) Perhaps most importantly, would either play into or be enhanced by the tune? In other words, if they were done AFTER the tune, would I still get the performance increase(s), if any? Any negative affect ont he tune? Retune needed?

4) If there's a performance advantage with x-pipe, is there a way to keep the low, rumbly sound?

Any help or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx inadvance, ya'll.
    Rich
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

Here ya go.....

Quote Originally Posted by magindat
    OK, I know this has been discussed in other forums. Yes, I have done my homework and searching. I have listened and watched races. This is a specific set of questions.

The prelude: I like the sound of the H-Pipe, low and rumbly. I got the Magnaflow 18's to keep/enhance this sound. I'm happy with it. Res-delete tips are on the way (same sound louder, as I understand it). I hear x-pipes give more performance. I also know they provide a higher-pitched NASCAR-like sound. I'm working on getting tuned this Saturday so I need good, clear answers quick.

The questions:
    1) How much performance from an x-pipe? I have to decide if performance outweighs my sound preference.
    X-pipe/H-pipe function with the same purpose of equalizing pressure on each side of a V-8 motor. Although the differences are minimal (at best) the X-pipe has been shown to flow slightly better than an H-pipe.

2)How much (if any) performance from res-delete tips? They do reduce a restriction.
    None

3) Perhaps most importantly, would either play into or be enhanced by the tune? In other words, if they were done AFTER the tune, would I still get the performance increase(s), if any? Any negative affect ont he tune? Retune needed?
    Any tune over the stock tune should increase performance be it custom/"dyno-tune" or a programmer of choice

4) If there's a performance advantage with x-pipe, is there a way to keep the low, rumbly sound?
    An X-pipe has a unique sound to itself over an H-pipe...although it is subtle and some may not be able to tell a difference, Sound comes from 3 key areas...1) size/HP from motor 2) type/quality of mufflers used and 3) size of tubing i.e. larger diameter tubing will be louder

Any help or experience will be greatly appreciated.

Thanx inadvance, ya'll.
    Rich

TAF ...
    None
    magindat - Elaborating on TAF's response ..... The reasonated tips do not hinder flow.

*Courtesy metroplex.

Note: While the above is a cross-section of a Crown Victoria tailpipe resonator, the same holds true for the resonated Marauder tips.

X-pipes tend to move the hp & torque a little higher in the rpm band. It will make more hp overall - at least acording to some Ford engineer in a magazine article! Take that for what it's worth!
    SOLD '03 300A Black - "805" of 7838
    Plate - "EVILMERC"

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Gillom Rogers: [Books is giving Gillom a shooting lesson] Mr. Books, How is it you've killed so many men? My spread wasn't much bigger than yours.
    John Bernard Books: First of all,friend, there's no one up there shooting back at you. Second, I found most men aren't willing, they bat an eye, or draw a breath before they shoot. I won't.

Maybe somebody knows if an aftermaket H pipe would fit... like one intended for a mustang. If it mates up with the cats then maybe you could just get an exhaust shop to fill in the space between the back of the H pipe and the mufflers. This would maintain the Low rumble while givin you a few more horses. Is this a possibility?

Reinhart tune, NGK TR6 Plugs, 180 Degree stat,EMP/ Stewart Water Pump, K&N Aircharger, Cobra Exhaust, Megs Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flows, 4.10 gears, COP Connectors, Underdrive Pulleys, PHP Intake Spacer, 255/55/18 KDW2 Rears, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Ford Racing Girdle

Don't know about an "H" pipe but the "X" pipe that "fits" an MM is Magnaflow's 93333.... but you have to add 4" of pipe behind the left CAT. I'm sure TAF can fix you up with an "H" pipe.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

All of what Todd said. As far as sound, I'm real pleased with the x-pipe included in the Kook's system I have. It sounds "low and rumbly" to me. I don't seem to notice any high pitched NASCAR sound, but then again a lot of decibals have gone through my ears. I did the Kook's upgrade well after my tune (80K miles maybe) and had nothing but positive affects. If you're looking for maximum hp and torque gains, do the whole system, headers on back. When you do it, go with one that has been engineered to work best together, or go to a reputable custom exhaust shop. Don't pinch pennies and try to mix and match an exhaust system. You'll probably be disappointed. BTW, I do know of a great custom exhaust shop.
    300A
    born 08-27-02
    Adjusted air in and air out.
    400+ timeslips.

When in doubt, GAS IT! This will either fix the problem, or end the suspense.

Thread Information