Thread: A Sad day for Broward Sheriff Officers

A Sad day for Broward Sheriff Officers

Although this happened last week, This incident is tragic and is becoming WAY TOO COMMON around the country. I just happened to be in the area where the funeral percession was routed and took a minute to think of all my good friends who are LEO's. This was a young deputy who followed in his fathers foot steps and became a LEO. Heres the link

http://www.nbc6.net/news/7099868/detail.html

http://www.nbc6.net/news/7268321/detail.html

Quote Originally Posted by ghost03
    This incident is tragic and is becoming WAY TOO COMMON around the country.
    Yes, very tragic indeed. My prayers and condolences to the family.

Your observation that this is "Way Too Common" is right on the mark. I don't know what the phenomenon is ... but it almost seems as though people are actually 'pulled' toward that side of the road. Maybe the mere action of looking in the direction of a broken down vehicle or one that has been pulled-over pulls the other vehicle in that direction (i.e. some people unwittingly steer in the direction that they are looking). I can't explain it any other way unless people are constantly drifting off the road.

Such incidents are occuring with greater frequency in the Northern Virginia area. On the way to Annapolis on Saturday, I counted about 8 vehicles stopped on the side of the I-495 beltway between the Wilson Bridge and US 50. Surely, not all of these vehicles are breaking down.

Another problem is for folks to run into the rear of tractor-trailers that are pulled to the side of the road to spend the night (usually somewhere near major interstate junctions).

Sure hope someone is looking into this "phenomenon" 'cause it jsut doesn't seem to correlate with common sense.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 02-21-2006 at 12:31 PM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

Quote Originally Posted by Bluerauder

Your observation that this is "Way Too Common" is right on the mark. I don't know what the phenomenon is ... but it almost seems as though people are actually 'pulled' toward that side of the road. Maybe the mere action of looking in the direction of a broken down vehicle or one that has been pulled-over pulls the other vehicle in that direction (i.e. some people unwittingly steer in the direction that they are looking).

Sorry to hear the bad news.

But to answer Bluerauder, This is what thye teach in Performance driving school. The car follows the eyes... look where you want to go and the car will go there.

If they taught Driving in Drivers Ed, these things wouldn't happen so often. Ask any 19 year old how many drinks they cna consume for their bodyweight before their BAC is above the limit, I bet they cna tell you in 2 seconds. Ask 'em how to steer out of a skid...and they'll probably tell you hit the brakes...hard.

Rest in peace fellow brother!

There is a law in place that states that we have to move over one lane or slow down to 20MPH if there is an emergency vehicle or tow truck on the side of the road. I know that 95% of people dont abide by this law, and I believe it will be very hard for officials to enforce this law... Its just sad that someone has to pay with their life due to the irrisponsability of some careless driver. LEO's are not the only ones at risk..This makes me think twice about even pulling over on the side of the road to change a flat or even helping someone that needs help...Maybe Im just going overboard but it just P!$$e$ me off

MI2QWK4U Guest
    My prayers are with the family. It is sad and such a waste. It bothers me as much now, if not more, than it did 16 years ago when I started. This past Sunday was the 5th year anniversary of the End of Watch for a close friend and colleague that was shot and killed at a domestic.

Click here to pay your respects to a Fallen Hero.

Blog Entries
    When I received a ticket from a State Trooper he stayed on the passenger side, keeping the vehicle between him and the road.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

One of my good friends is a officer for Mikkossukki police and he patrols Alligator Alley which is known for speeders, plus the road is poorly lite up so he always stays on the passenger side to do a traffic stop.

Thread Information