Thread: TC stall and temps

TC stall and temps

I didn't get an answer in the other thread, so I am starting a new one.

Will a 3500 stall PI cause temperature increases that could be damaging over prolonged use?

Many folks have the 3000 and I have not heard of problems with that setting. The 3500 seems to have a caveat with it, tho' about "might want a cooler" or "can cause temp increases beyond normal range"

Anyone know of any problems with temps from a 3500?

Thanks!
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

I know I put these facts in the other thread. But they may not answer your question.

My temps went up 20 degrees with average driving going from a 3000 stall PI converter to a 3500 stall PI converter.

Regardless where you are on the scale of temps (if you have a aftermarket cooler or not) there was in my case a 20 degree differential between the two converters as far as pan temps were concerned.

My semi-educated guess is that the 20 degree diff isnt a make or break amount. If others are running the stock cooler and a 3000 stall without problems then the extra 20 degrees shouldnt matter.

(edit based on RF Overlords response...... My temps were 130 with the 3000 stall and 150 with the 3500 stall...... Just for clarification)

But maybe someone else with no aftermarket cooler and 3500 stall will respond with their temps...
    Last edited by Todd; 03-08-2006 at 10:03 AM.

When I switched, i noticed no increase in temps.

Per 4R70W guru Jerry Wroblewski:

"For every 20 degrees of increase in transmission fluid temperature above 170F, the life of the fluid is cut in half."

and:

"If you have a high stall converter...I'd change the oil every 12,000 miles."

(The above quotes were pilfered from here)
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 03-08-2006 at 09:47 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Thread Information