Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FIT / Centrifugal Blower PCV Mod

FIT / Centrifugal Blower PCV Mod

I thought that this mod justifies another look.

Credit goes to SergntMac's for posting the PCV solution he and Zack came up with on his Marauder a while back, and to MarauderJack for applying it to the FIT kit.

Here's the parts list for this mod:

(1) Motorcraft EV153 '03 Cobra PCV valve
    (4-ft) 3/8" heater hose (sold per foot)
    (1-ft) 3/4" heater hose (sold per foot)
    (1) barbed 3/4" x 3/4" x 3/8" tee or (1) 3/8" x 3/4" barbed adapter
    (1) 5/8" cap - not required if you remove the 5/8" x 5/8" x 5/8" blower intake tube tee supplied with the kit (see step 2 below)
    (1) 3/4" cap - not required if you find a 3/8" x 3/4" adapter mentioned above
    (assorted) zip ties and/or hose clamps

I sourced these parts through a local Oreillys parts store for around $20-25 IIRC. I used a EV153 instead of the EV111 after a finding out that there were some centrifugally-blown Mustang owners that were switching to it due to oil consumption issues.

The FIT kit PCV mod is pretty straight forward:

1. Remove the vent heater hose and barbed fitting from the driver's side cam cover grommet to the blower intake tube

2. Either cap the end left open on the 5/8" tee on the bottom of the blower intake tube or remove the tee and hook the passenger side vent directly to the fitting on the bottom of blower intake tube

3. Insert the EV153 into the grommet on the driver's side cam cover left open after removing the vent fitting

4. Route the 3/8" heater hose from the PCV valve to the passenger's side cam cover around the back of the engine compartment

5. Remove the 3/4" cap originally supplied with the kit from the upper intake manifold OEM PCV connector

6. Connect the 3/8" heater hose from the EV153 PCV valve to the 3/4" upper intake connector using the tee (cap the other end of the tee) or adaptor and a short length of 3/4" heater hose (see pic)

7. Remove the OEM PCV valve from the passenger's side cam cover by removing the two bolts holding it onto the cover

8. Remove the screen, plunger and spring from the bottom of the OEM PCV valve

9. Re-install the OEM PCV valve (now just a vacuum fitting) on the cam cover and verify the original 5/8" heater hose still connects the OEM PCV valve to the bottom of blower intake tube

10. Install hose clamps, zip ties, or similar to secure hoses

Here's some pics of the final installation:

I've been running this mod for about a month now and even tested it at the track. Nothing has come loose and there has been no indication of boost getting past the Cobra PCV valve.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with the FIT crankcase ventilation system, although I did find a small amount of oil dribbled out from the driver's side vent tube when I removed it. In either case, those in colder climates may want to minimize any "drape" in the blower intake tube vent lines to avoid freezing any water that may condense there.

I'm not going to go into the mechanics of this PCV mod, there are others out there that can make a better arguement than me one way or the other. But I am with MarauderJack's opinion that this is a better way to skin this particular cat. The floating ball inside the EV153 PCV valve provides shutoff under boost and any oil and/or water vapor will travel directly into the upper intake versus through the blower and intercooler. I figure if it was good enough for Ford on the '03 Cobra, it's good enough for me.

Of course, approach any mod at your own risk and/or with your skill level in mind.

Jack, did I miss anything?
    Currently Marauderless but looking

Well, Just did it today at the dealer and the vacuum look stronger this way. I 'll keep a close follow up to confirm nothing is amiss.

Pcv

What do you think about just switching over to a Motorcraft EV153 '03 Cobra PCV valve?

PROCHARGER SUPERCHARGER FROM F.I.T. # 007
    18psi pulley
    MMR built Stroker 5.0+.020 overbore
    Forged Crank/Manley Rods/Manley Pistons
    Billet Oil Pump
    ARP Bolts and head studs
    Snow Methanol Injection
    3500 Stall Converter (PI)
    Stryker 340 Fuel Pump
    45 lbs Injectors
    4:10 gears
    K&N Air Filter
    Factory Spoiler
    Widened Wheels
    Nittos
    170 deg thermostat
    SS Inserts
    Daniel's Colex Billet Supercharged Emblems front and rear
    Trunk organizer

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mielnicki
    What do you think about just switching over to a Motorcraft EV153 '03 Cobra PCV valve?
    Well IMO, the vave itself is not much better than the MM one. The routing of the hoses appear superior (and shorter). But before i slip on a banana, i'll let others answer this as they probably understand this better than i do !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Mielnicki
    Mike, all the other steps are to facilitate using the EV153 in the grommet on the driver's side cam cover, since this is a spot to to place it neatly and in the correct orientation for a centrifugal application.

The rest of the tubing is to get air flowing from the blower intake tube, into the passenger side cam cover, through the crankcase, out the driver's side cam cover and into the intake. This is reverse from the OEM setup, but should be just as functional. The ball inside the PCV valve provides is a one-way check from boost getting through from the intake into the driver's side cam cover, but under vacuum the intake draws air through it. The OEM PCV valve just gets gutted to provide a input path for the air stream.

I suppose you could rig up a way to flow air in the same direction as the OEM setup, but I doubt the engine cares which way the air flows as long as it flows.
    Currently Marauderless but looking

Great explanation and photos!!

Very clean install and engine bay!!

I think you got it all covered very well....glad I could help ya!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

JD,

Thanks for providing me the link to this thread

I don't know how I missed this one a year ago

I've been looking into the PCV setup lately, and Dennis also provided me some assistance

The setup I was running was not like this at all....no wonder it was not working.

I like the Moroso Catch can setup I am using, but this looks great too!

This thread should be pasted at the top of the FIT forum for new owners to see. Even I missed it.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by tmac1337; 06-06-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    Empty Garage, but Fat bank account

Quote Originally Posted by tmac1337 View Post
    JD,

This thread should be pasted at the top of the FIT forum for new owners to see. Even I missed it.
    This thread is now a 'sticky'.

Mike.

Thanks!

It's good information.

is this something that should be done and what will it help
    Pro Charger #25
    Sold 1/7/16

Quote Originally Posted by John Nero View Post
    is this something that should be done and what will it help
    John, if you still have the stock setup....change it to this. Scott Beer swears by the catch can setup now on my car, but if I didn't have that on currently, I would be switching to this. Oil vapor crud will get into you blower and down into you intercooler if you leave the PCV system setup the way it was originally designed.

In the diagram I post, Oil and vapor will still get into the intake. I read a lot of threads about the PCV systems on other forums the last couple of days. That oil vapor is bad stuff and even lowers the octane in the fuel and can cause detonation. The system I have currently will catch the crud and vent off the vapor, although I doubt it will be catching large amounts of oil.
    Last edited by tmac1337; 06-06-2007 at 09:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tmac1337 View Post
    John, if you still have the stock setup....change it to this. Scott Beer swears by the catch can setup now on my car, but if I didn't have that on currently, I would be switching to this. Oil vapor crud will get into you blower and down into you intercooler if you leave the PCV system setup the way it was originally designed.

thanks on the too do list
    Pro Charger #25
    Sold 1/7/16

Blog Entries
    % infor.

What is the differ between the FIT PCV and the other S/C PCV set ups?

I seem to remember there was a lot of discussion on the PCV set up during development.

FYI a P1800 Volvo Saints version I worked on had a metal pipe that vented down past the oil pan.
    1/4 Mile Time 11.542 @ 121.19 MPH
    195,000 Miles & 275+ Runs Down the 1,320’
    541.57 RWHP & 476.64 RWTQ on DynoJet
    Tuned by Aric at Injected Engineering
    Vortech Super Charger V-2 “T” Trim, 19 PSI
    8 Rib Belt, Innovators West 10% Overdrive Dampner
    Air to Air Intercooler, Mini-race Bypass
    Ford Cobra Remanufactured Long Block
    Snow Performance Water-Methanol Injection
    Kooks Headers & X Pipe
    GT MAF, 60lb injectors, Dash 8, Aero Rails, Twin Ford GT Pumps,
    Kinsler Fuel Filter, Kenne Bell Boost-A-Pump
    Monroe Sensatrac, Metco Control Arms, Addco Rear Sway Bar
    31 Ford Spline Axles & Detroit Truetrac, 4:10 Ford Racing Gears
    Dynotech MMC Driveshaft
    A-1 Performance Trans, Forced Tailshaft Lube, Carbon Clutches
    3,500 RPM Stall Precision Industries Torque Converter
    B&M Deep Finned Trans Pan
    AeroForce Scan Gauges , Auto Meter Oil, Fuel & Boost Gauges
    Kenny Brown Dead Pedal, 35% Tint, Silver Star Head Lights
    AutoPage Alarm RS-727LCD, Boston Acoustic NX87

I will have 60K miles on my setup tomorrow and NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

The last time I had the blower off (belt change...GATORBACK!!) I had absolutely no crud on the impeller!!

I wonder how long these P1SC's last?? Never has any debris in the oil and the magnet has normal dust on it!! ProCharger says they have a bunch of them with 100K miles or more....we'll see....just don't want it to break in da boonies!!??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post
    I will have 60K miles on my setup tomorrow and NO PROBLEMS!!!!!

The last time I had the blower off (belt change...GATORBACK!!) I had absolutely no crud on the impeller!!

Marauderjack
    In your current setup, the crud must be going through the OEM hole on the upper intake. That is better than how it originally ended up before the blower from the driver's side fitting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information