Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FIT / Centrifugal Blower PCV Mod

The Moroso Catch Can setup does not have any vacuum, so the engine is pushing out all the gases and any oil crud is caught in the catch can (at least that is how it hopefully will work). Being no vacuum, it should not be able to suck any unmetered air in through the canister, but should always be pushing it out. The can has baffles to separate the vapor from the oil.

[IMG][/IMG]

If it works as it is supposed to, the engine should be expelling all the vapor and crud without re-injecting it back into the cycle. I read that the vapor and crud can lower the amount of octane and cause detonation, if true, good riddance.

This PCV system stuff is confusing and has had me scratching my head thinking about loosing boost.....pressure where it shouldn't be. Get rid of the system in essence, hopefull get rid of any potential issues....but the environmental types might not like gagging on my vapor
    Empty Garage, but Fat bank account

Bottom line is the PCV mod will provide positive crankcase ventilation while keeping the oil mist from being sucked through the blower to get to the intake. I know that it works under vacuum because at first I cut my 3/4" heater hose coming off of the large upper intake connection too long and the vacuum draw actually collapsed the hose. I took my PCV valve out the other day to see if I was getting gummed up and it is still functioning fine after over a year now and I haven't noticed any indication of a boost leak. These valves are only $5 or $6, so it's cheap enough to replace once a year anyway.

The consequence of not doing this mod is a slight oil accumulation inside the tubing and/or intercooler. We're not talking enough for you to notice as oil consumption with your dipstick, but even a tiny amount of oil will be noticeable after several months, especially at the joints, if you pulled your intercooler piping apart. We saw this on BJ's car when we made some adjustments to his tubing. Will this kill your car? No, but getting oil in your intercooler won't make it any more efficient.

Running a 360 pulley may very well be too much for the EV-153 (03-04 Cobra) PCV valves to handle, I don't know. It seems to work fine with the 370 (Jack's) and 380 (mine) pulleys. There's probably some point where running a catch can and / or oil separator is required for higher boost applications. For the average F.I.T. kit out there this mod seems to work fine.
    Currently Marauderless but looking

Check out this PCV thread.....if you've got the patience to read the whole thing. There is a lot of good info. in it.

http://www.modularfords.com/forums/f...hey-85651.html
    Empty Garage, but Fat bank account

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information