Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stalled out

Stalled out

So last night after being a little boost happy Im driving normally and as im cruising with my foot off the accelerator my car stalls out, cuts off. I had to stop, put it in park and restart the car. This happened 3 times. I dont know if its blower-related or what. Brought it up to the L/M dealer today (stalled once on the way there) and they said they believe its a fuel sensor. Weekend newbie mechanic wants another tech to verify thats the prob on monday. So I left her up there for the weekend. I was told this would be covered under the warranty. Then the service dept lady looked at me very suspiciously and asked..."You havent done any modifications to your car have you?" Thinking that the mechanic probably just told her it didnt quite look stock I didnt want to lie to her face. So I said "Well I've done just a little" She then said if the sensor prob is related to my mods then it wont be covered...oh well
    Trilogy #119 S/C installed by Carfixer/Tallboy

If your foot was off the throttle, it may be IAC they tend to stick, I'm not buying the fuel sensor thing, but that's just me...let us know what fixes it.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

If your foot is off the pedal and your at or close to idle, I'd check the IAC. A simple replacement part works wonders for it.
    Best,
    Rick

2004 Silver Birch w/Light Flint Interior
    10.44 @ 131.66 MPH | 604 RWHP & 562 RWTQ

- Trilogy Supercharger #79 Twinscrew w/ 14PSI, Alternative Auto Forged 5.3 Stroker, Stage III Cams, JLT CAI, 405lph Return Fuel System, XL Heat Exchanger, 4.10's, Built Transmission, SCT 90MM MAF, Custom Tuned by Lidio.

- Kooks Headers. Magnaflow Cats & 18" Mufflers with 2.5" X-Pipe & Tailpipes. Megs' Res-Delete Tips

- Widened 9.5" Rear Rims w/Nitto NT555G2 Front Tires and NT555Rii Drag Radials.
       245/45/ZR18 & 305/45/ZR18. TCE Performance Brakes and SS lines.

- Spoiler, MMX Driveshaft, Metco Loop and Control Arms, ADTR Front and Addco Rear Sway Bars, Art Carr Transmission Pan, Eaton Posi, Stud & Girdle kit, Moser 31 Spline Axles, Marauder Door Sills, SS Inserts, Dynamat, Pioneer AVIC-8201NEX with 6x8" 260w Speakers and 12" 1400w Sub-woofer

IAC you do yourself 2 bolts and a wire plug.. Instead of stopping, just slide it into neutral to restart...even at 50 mph....RAM

Yea i was searching through the forums this morning and saw how someone was having a similar problem and it was the IAC. Everytime it happens its when my foot is off the accelerator or when i take my foot off the brake from a stop.
    Trilogy #119 S/C installed by Carfixer/Tallboy

The IAC is $59.79 + shipping from rockauto.com 3-day delivery.

I just replaced mine after the car would not hold an idle on startup about 50% of the time, I'd have to give it a little gas to keep it running. It did this to me a occasionally on hot startups last summer/fall but it progressed to cold startups and the idle started fluctuating. I finally put 2 and 2 together and decided to try the IAC since it has bothered a few supercharged cars now. I guess being in semi-hibernation over the winter finally did it in.

The bypass passage was pretty nasty even though the throttle body was spotless. I figure the IAC motor finally gave up after having to fight against a bunch of crud but I haven't bench tested it. This seems to have corrected the problem.
    Currently Marauderless but looking

These IAC's are a PITA...I have had three so far and the blower accentuates the unstable idle especially in neutral!!!

If I make a run in "da boost" the inlet air temp rises and I feel like the EEC cannot cope with it and tells the IAC to run all over the place and it eventually stalls!!

I have not had it stall but once in gear and that was a long time ago....right after I bought it.

Our EEC's have something called "Adaptive Learning" and I sometimes wonder if the blower and associated hot air, etc. screws it up??

I doubt your dealer can even shed any light on this one!!??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

You have heard about the IAC.

It could also be a vacuum leak. FYI

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

Response from Jerry Barnes

Ridinclean,

The IAC and the Vacuum Leak are my opinions. I will ask Claude and Chuck to give you a call.

Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Barnes
    Ridinclean,

The IAC and the Vacuum Leak are my opinions. I will ask Claude and Chuck to give you a call.

Jerry

We're on it, Boss...
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Funny you mention Adaptive learning, This should be turned off in your tune. With a custom tune (especially power adder), you dont want the computer re-doing what the tuner spent time adjusting on the dyno/street

Just paraphrasing a very well known/respected tuner. I know precious little about the vagries of tuning and electronic engine management.

In any case, my money is on the IAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack
    These IAC's are a PITA...I have had three so far and the blower accentuates the unstable idle especially in neutral!!!

If I make a run in "da boost" the inlet air temp rises and I feel like the EEC cannot cope with it and tells the IAC to run all over the place and it eventually stalls!!

I have not had it stall but once in gear and that was a long time ago....right after I bought it.

Our EEC's have something called "Adaptive Learning" and I sometimes wonder if the blower and associated hot air, etc. screws it up??

I doubt your dealer can even shed any light on this one!!??

Marauderjack
    Last edited by shakes_26; 03-20-2006 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shakes_26
    Funny you mention Adaptive learning, This should be turned off in your tune. With a custom tune (especially power adder), you dont want the computer re-doing what the tuner spent time adjusting on the dyno/street

Just paraphrasing a very well known/respected tuner. I know precious little about the vagries of tuning and electronic engine management.

In any case, my money is on the IAC.
    Dude, what are you saying?
    Adaptive learning gets shut off WHEN THE CAR IS GETTING TUNED.
    It gets turned back on when the car leaves the dyno!

Blower cars are notorious for dying out. The problen is in the IAC functions in the software. A few changes and the problem is solved. It is highly unlikely that the IAC is bad.

Zack...

What do I have to do to stop the idle searching and eventually dying?? Dave Lamberson of Injected Racing has made some changes and it is better but it ain't perfect yet....HELP!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Blower cars are notorious for dying out

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Dude, what are you saying?
    Adaptive learning gets shut off WHEN THE CAR IS GETTING TUNED.
    It gets turned back on when the car leaves the dyno!

Blower cars are notorious for dying out. The problen is in the IAC functions in the software. A few changes and the problem is solved. It is highly unlikely that the IAC is bad.
    Zack,

Everytime I think you are knowledgeable you say something stupid! "Blower cars are notorious for dying". What type of blower cars are you talking about???? Not a Trilogy Blower car! If our cars stalled, we would not have sold 10 kits!

Maybe the blower car you have is "notorious" for stalling, but not ours! It's time you baught a new blower car.

Jerry

I have been fighting this very problem since having the conversion done on my Vic. Since having it tuned by another SCT shop the bouncing idle is gone but it will still stall at low speeds and has a bad hesitation/stutter like the engine wants to stall out on initial acceleration from a stop. Sometimes when starting after a brief stop (like running in the 7-11) the rpms will shoot up to 1400-1800 or so and hang around there. If I try to put it in gear to move it immediately stalls right out. Restarting after it does that is hard (spins but won't fire up) and I have to hold the accelerator to get it going again then its a cat and mouse game with the rpms and the gear selector... sometimes stalling two or three times just trying to back up! Its just no fun driving the car when you dread coming to a stop because you don't know what the car is going to do when its time to go again.

Now where's that thread on regretting mods, I've got a whole sig full of 'em...
    2010 F150 XLT SuperCrew 5.4 4x4
    Royal Red w/stone interior
    Mama's truck!

2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport the Crown Rauder
    Silver Frost w/charcoal interior
    Modded a little

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information