Thread: Exhaust Tip Ideas....4"

Exhaust Tip Ideas....4"

I know, sounds like too much, but according to Innovative Interceptors we already have 3.5" and if I'm wondering if anyone has ventured out and gone with a larger tip. I may get non-resonated tips depending on how my new muffler purchase works out, and I recall a few posts regarding a massive 4" exhaust tip but I don't think there was any outcome.

My tips are extended out about an inch, maybe an inch and a half, and I was there holding the tips with my hands wedged in the bumper cutout to ensure proper alignment - we have the room for 4" tips if we wanted to use it. I wonder what 460 crank horsepower sounds echoing out of a 22" long 4" wide non resonated exhaust tip.

Magnaflow has 4" tips (non-res) that are within two inches (IIRC) of our current length with an ID of 2.5" (1/4 inch larger than our stock pipe's OD) but that isn't much of an issue at the exhaust shop. Rolled lip or slash cut, Magnaflow has it, and so does the Magnaflow dealer down my street.

Keep in mind our tips from the factory are rolled at it's lip, so it doesn't look like a 3.5" tip to me...I wouldn't see why a .5" increase would seem like a mammoth under the bumper in fact it would fit that opening quite nicely...

Has anyone tossed out the stock tips for something larger, or without a rolled lip that can supply pictures?

IMHO, slash cut is gonna make it look Marauder poser. Gotta stay w/rolled.
    FWIW.
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

I talked to Wes about 4" tips awhile ago. He said the tips would be around $250 a set, maybe if we get enough ppl on a group buy we can get the price down. Wes also told me he got a set and would be putting them on sometime and I'm dying to see what they look like.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=25694

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

I would be interested in a 4" set of Megs. I too would like to stick with the rolled edge. I already have a set of slash cuts, they're not bad, came with the car when I bought them, I didn't even realize they weren't stock until after I bought them. No one knows what they are, they may even be motorcylce units, they have resonators in them.

My car has a nicely installed custom cat-back. It sounds nice, though a tad quiet. If I upgrade my exhaust to a full system ever, which I plan to eventually, I want to go back to Meg's but would want a 4" tip.

BTW, I don't think 4" is too big for our cars. Our cars are big enough I think a 4" tip is still proportional.

Last edited by Breadfan; 05-01-2006 at 08:52 AM.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

If I decide I want tips without resonators I'll bug Wes and if he does not have them yet I'll go down the street and get them put on. I like the idea.

I've been thinking about going to a larger tip as well. I had some slash cut tips put on as well. But I think without the rolled edge, it looks a little small. Below is a pic I took a while back, so you can kinda see what I mean.
    2113472_8_full.jpg
    Sorry I wasn't really focusing on the exhaust when I took it, but you can kinda see what I mean.
    Constitution State Marauders

2003 Mercury Marauder 300A

K&N Aircharger CAI
    SCT Xcalibrator w/ Lidio tune courtesy of Innovative Interceptors
    Accufab twin 60mm throttle body
    FR 500 heads w/ Stage 2 cams
    Kooks full length headers
    Random Technology high flow cats
    custom welded 2.5 in. exhaust w/ Flowmaster Super 40's
    Drilled and slotted rotors from iRotors
    God's head locking valve caps
    god's head and S55 badges
    20% tint all around
    coming soon: S55 painted tail lights, and eventually, a Trilogy!

If I may hijack/chime in,

I have a prototype tip sitting here (will post pics later)
    the only difference is in the rolled edge, its 15 degrees versus 30 degrees.
    but Megs told me if I get an order of 10 sets, he'll make runs in sets of 10, but the cost is going to be around $250 per pair, quite a bit higher than the 3.5" Deletes, but this is a completely custom piece that they're making and they have to have special tooling to do it. If there's interest, I can make runs, but we can only secure pricing like that if we get sets of 10, (i.e. 10 people go, and we make a run, then another 10, another run etc).

Thanks
    Wes
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel
    '97 Land Cruiser/78 Land Cruiser

If we got a group buy, would he adjust the rake of the rolled edge to match the 30 degrees or is that something limited by the diameter and available tooling?

Just curious. For 4" tips, I'd probably be in. Only thing is, if I get them, I'd want 3" inlets, b/c that's what I'll get if I redo my exhuast. Would that be do-able or would you need 10 3" inlets?

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

I dont think the machine is capable of rolling 30 degrees, but the prototype I have actually looks alright at 15.

As far as inlets, I'll have to talk to him but 3" exhaust piping is HUGE, probably will be more like 2.5" but this is all in the works still....
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel

Quote Originally Posted by wchain
    I dont think the machine is capable of rolling 30 degrees, but the prototype I have actually looks alright at 15.

As far as inlets, I'll have to talk to him but 3" exhaust piping is HUGE, probably will be more like 2.5" but this is all in the works still....
    Cool. I was figuring if I went with headers I'd go with full 3" piping, I know some others have, shouldn't be a bad choice with a S/C application...who knows I may just go to 2.5" and call it a day. But thought I'd throw that out there, if they could do 3" inlet I'd be interested.

Thanks for the updates!!!

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadfan
    Cool. I was figuring if I went with headers I'd go with full 3" piping, I know some others have, shouldn't be a bad choice with a S/C application...who knows I may just go to 2.5" and call it a day. But thought I'd throw that out there, if they could do 3" inlet I'd be interested.

Thanks for the updates!!!
    If they did a 3" inlet that would be the ticket right there. On my old 89 mustang I had 2.5" from headers back to the mufflers and then did 3" from there on out. I def. noticed a better sound after doing that and would want the same thing on the Marauder but either way if they do 2.5" inlet you can lob off some to make it 3" I guess.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

If there's interest, I can make runs, but we can only secure pricing like that if we get sets of 10,
    Thanks
    Wes
    Ahh 1 here please.

If I may hijack/chime in,

I have a prototype tip sitting here (will post pics later)
    the only difference is in the rolled edge, its 15 degrees versus 30 degrees.
    but Megs told me if I get an order of 10 sets, he'll make runs in sets of 10, but the cost is going to be around $250 per pair, quite a bit higher than the 3.5" Deletes, but this is a completely custom piece that they're making and they have to have special tooling to do it. If there's interest, I can make runs, but we can only secure pricing like that if we get sets of 10, (i.e. 10 people go, and we make a run, then another 10, another run etc).

Thanks
    Wes
    Looking forward to the pictures.
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

Quote Originally Posted by jimlam56
    Looking forward to the pictures.
    Ask and ye shall recieve (when the digital camera is working of course)

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...674#post375674
    '15 F250 CC 4WD 6.7L PSD
    '11 CVLX
    '05 E55 AMG
    '91 350SD Turbodiesel

I could not wait for the GB - After Wes put up those pictures I needed em' so I stopped by this place on the way home and ordered them.

2.5" inlet, 4" rolled tip outlet @ 15 degrees, 22" long

I'll keep you guys updated. These will be put on when my Spintech Pro-Streets come in.

Thread Information