Thread: Big brake kits.

Big brake kits.

Anybody ever weigh their rotors? Just wondering what the difference is on all the different kits available.

I've seen one set of front 13.5" rotors that are 20 lbs. each. My stock front 12" rotors are 22 lbs. each.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

I forgot to check, but I'd say by guesstimate the Baer's (GT Plus) weigh in at about 2/3rds of the OEM. Might check their website for details.

It really surprised me, I didn't think there would be that much of a difference in weight, maybe a pound or two but it was significant.

I posted this information last year.

Well the big brakes are finally on and what a difference it makes. S/C Marauders have fun throttling through the torque band, but performance braking adds another prospective. I now have to learn how to drive my car again. The brake pedal feels like a 2-pound trigger pull on my Kimber 45. It has a positive fell with a light touch, but a few pounds of pressure yields a massive gorilla stopping motion with very little front bias. If you proceed with the downward pressure you will find the ABS asking you “What's Up”. One added bonus is the weight reduction.

O.E.M. front caliper 18 pounds x 2 = 36 pounds
    O.E.M front rotor 22 pounds x 2 = 44 pounds

Total weight 80 pounds not including bolts and dust cover.

The TCE Wilwood Marauder Brake Kit total weight including packaging from UPS = 51 pounds. That number includes the stainless steel lines, mounting bracket and bolts.
    I don’t have an exact numbers on the TCE rotors and calipers, but I am sure Todd will chime in with the statistics.

Todd is a great vendor and has answered all of my phones calls (about 6 times), and a countless amount of e-mails. When it came to replacement parts I received the shipment within 24 hours. Great Customer Service and a in depth knowledge of the trade is what TCE Performance is all about.

James Brown #140 "Say It Loud" Except in Bristol
    Merc's Garage
    MagnaFuel ProTuner Series 750 MP-1403
    Stainless Steel Works full exhaust
    SCT Advantage III Ford Pro Racer Software
    600.59 rwhp 559.91 Torque @ 20 lbs Boost
    2.3 Whipple Intercooled Supercharger
    BC Automotive Stage4 transmission
    03 Terminator built by Chris Vining

Front rotors with hats (the 1.10 flavor, not the 1.25") come in about 14.5lbs each. Calipers perhaps 6lbs each, loaded.

If we bump to a 1.25 or 14" rotor the numbers go up of course. But these are teh kits that will not clear stock wheels.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

Thumbs down Big Brake Kit

Quote Originally Posted by merc
    I posted this information last year...

One added bonus is the weight reduction.

The TCE Wilwood Marauder Brake Kit total weight including packaging from UPS = 51 pounds. That number includes the stainless steel lines, mounting bracket and bolts.

I just had the Baer Big Brake Kit installed and like merc says " WOW What a diffrence " . The UPS total weight packaging was 65 Lbs , Rotors , brake pads , and calipers. so far i,ve only logged about 385 miles in " Break-in " time but you really notice the greater stopping power in these big brake kits and the front end feels diffrent , less weight , better handling. if you feel you can affored it, then go for it...
    I'll keep my Freedom, my Money, my Religion, my Guns & you can keep the " Change ".

Quote Originally Posted by merc
    I posted this information last year.

Well the big brakes are finally on and what a difference it makes. S/C Marauders have fun throttling through the torque band, but performance braking adds another prospective. I now have to learn how to drive my car again. The brake pedal feels like a 2-pound trigger pull on my Kimber 45. It has a positive fell with a light touch, but a few pounds of pressure yields a massive gorilla stopping motion with very little front bias. If you proceed with the downward pressure you will find the ABS asking you “What's Up”. One added bonus is the weight reduction.

I don’t have an exact numbers on the TCE rotors and calipers, but I am sure Todd will chime in with the statistics.

Todd is a great vendor and has answered all of my phones calls (about 6 times), and a countless amount of e-mails. When it came to replacement parts I received the shipment within 24 hours. Great Customer Service and a in depth knowledge of the trade is what TCE Performance is all about.
    Merc, if you haven't tried the Wilwood BP10 pads with your TCE kit yet, definitely give them a go. I've only got about a 1000 miles on mine, so far, but I'm much happier with them than the Hawk HPS pads. Not only are they quieter, but under full pedal stops they 'bite' much harder. When bedding the pads the ABS was struggling to keep the wheels spinning.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Lincoln Town Car
    1993 Crown Victoria LX

Thread Information