Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Horn...

Horn...

Well, my horn just stopped working. As with the A/C, everything works perfect and then suddenly stops. No hint of failure.

The horn worked this morning when I locked the car after arriving at my job. When I arrived home, horn didn't chirp when I locked the doors. I turned on the car and still nothing.

I don't thinks that it is the battery since the power locks, windows, and everything else works as it should.

A question for those in the know. Is this a safety item like the seat belts? I have ESP but that want to pay the deductable for a darn horn.

If you have a test light see if your getting power to the horn.
    Check the fuse in the fuse panel.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by fastblackmerc
    If you have a test light see if your getting power to the horn.
    Check the fuse in the fuse panel.
    I guess that I could buy a test light. Where can I look up which wire and fuse is for the horn?

Thanks for your help.

Edit: So is this a safety item? Will it be covered or do I have to pay my share of the esp?

The horn should be a safety item.

Disconnect one of the horn leads, connect the test light to the connector and ground the other end. When you press the horn button the test light should light up.

Horn fuse is #4 (15A) in the power distrbution box under the hood located on the inner fender near at the back of the battery.

Just remember if the fuse is blown there is usually a short somewhere.
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 06-05-2006 at 01:42 PM.
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

I think there is a TSB about the wiring harness getting shorted by rubbing on something or other.
    2003 300A Black Mercury Marauder 4334 of 7839
    Trilogy #150 installed by Carfixer & Tallboy 4/21/2007
    (brute's garage)

I believe that TSB was a wiring harness near the throttle body. Don't think it has anything to do with the horn.
    Ronald Regan

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

General James Mattis

Update: I just checked and the horn fuse is blown. So this means that I have a some type of a short?!? To be honest, I don't know what that means except that there is a problem.

How would I go about finding out what is the cause of the short and how do I fix it?
    Thanks for the help ya'll!!!

The horn should be a safety item.

Disconnect one of the horn leads, connect the test light to the connector and ground the other end. When you press the horn button the test light should light up.

Horn fuse is #4 (15A) in the power distrbution box under the hood located on the inner fender near at the back of the battery.

Just remember if the fuse is blown there is usually a short somewhere.

Arrow Just so you know....

Quote Originally Posted by Shora
    Update: I just checked and the horn fuse is blown. So this means that I have a some type of a short?!? To be honest, I don't know what that means except that there is a problem.

How would I go about finding out what is the cause of the short and how do I fix it?
    I have seen the horn short out and take the fuse with it.

Keep us posted.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

First of all, did you recently go through deep water (Like in a thunderstorm.) or detail the underhood area of your car? If so spend the fifty cents on a sacrificial fuse and try that first! If you need help tracking down a short, PM me and I'll try to help.

Best luck,

J
    Alex, you'll always be with us!
    '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport 230A
    Bone Stock (Really, would I lie?)
    I couldn't see destroying a Marauder as my daily driver!
    '03 Marauder 300B as in blue
    DOB 5/12/03 - adopted12/01/06
    1 of 328
    SS Inserts

Step 1. Buy a box of the correct fuses
    Setp 2. Replace the horn fuse.
    Step 3. Try the horn(s) a few times, if they work OK, no further steps needed, if it blows the new fuse continue.
    Step 4. Unplug both horns.
    Step 5. Replace blown fuse and plug horn #1 in
    Step 6. Try the horn a few times if it works, continue to step 7, if it doesn't work after a few times and the fuse is blown you most likely have a bad / internally shorted horn.
    Step 7. Upplug horn #1 and plug horn #2 in, try a few times if it blows the fuse you most likely have a bad / internally shorted horn.
    Step 8. Replace shorted / bad horn with a new one
    Step 9. Replace fuse in necessary.

Better yet PM me and I'll send you my cell and walk you thru it.

No, didn't drive in deep water or detail under the hood. I will try just replacing the fuse and take it from there.

Quote Originally Posted by JMan
    First of all, did you recently go through deep water (Like in a thunderstorm.) or detail the underhood area of your car? If so spend the fifty cents on a sacrificial fuse and try that first! If you need help tracking down a short, PM me and I'll try to help.

Best luck,

J

Step 3. Try the horn(s) a few times, if they work OK, no further steps needed, if it blows the new fuse continue.
    Step 6. Try the horn a few times if it works, continue to step 7, if it doesn't work after a few times and the fuse is blown you most likely have a bad / internally shorted horn.
    Step 7. Upplug horn #1 and plug horn #2 in, try a few times if it blows the fuse you most likely have a bad / internally shorted horn.

Great info. It is very clear. I will try this and if it doesn't work then I will take you on this offer.

Talking

Step 10. Invite annoyed neighbors over for beer/pizza to calm them down!
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Well I guess that it wasn't as simple as I hoped. I replaced the blown fuse and the horns still didn't work. I then unpluged each horn and attempted to narrow it down to either the high or low sound horn but still they didn't work.

I can hear them trying to chirp when someone presses the horn while I am really close to them. I can also hear some kind of a click comming from the fuse box behind the battery when one presses the horn.

And lastly, all this playing around with the horn and the new fuse wouldn't blow.

And lastly, all this playing around with the horn and the new fuse wouldn't blow.
    I have replaced the horns on all three of the Marauders I have owned. They are junk, go buy new horns.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information