Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Panther chassis related news from Ford...

Panther chassis related news from Ford...

Auto news

Ford intends to update frequently

Competitors drive need for changes
    June 16, 2006
    BY JUSTIN HYDE
    FREE PRESS WASHINGTON STAFF

<!-- SIDEBAR PHOTOS AND FACT BOXES --><!-- ARTICLE SIDEBAR --><!--MAIN PHOTO--><!--THEME LINKS--><!--RELATED ARTICLE LINKS--><!--RELATED EXTERNAL LINKS--><!--PHOTO GALLERY LINKS--><!--MAIN FACTS BOX-->Extended shutdowns
    • After four months of falling sales, Ford Motor Co. will lengthen summer shutdowns at some North American factories, the head of the automaker's operations in the continent said.

"We do have a two-week shutdown, and where we have a lack of demand at some plants we've extended that," executive vice president Mark Fields told reporters Wednesday in Washington, D.C. He declined to say which factories would be idled longer.

The company probably will announce production plans for July, when the shutdowns usually begin, in the next week or two, Fields said. Ford said June 1 that, for the quarter that starts next month, it will build 2.5% fewer cars and trucks than a year earlier in North America.

The longer shutdowns could be at plants such as Wayne; Louisville, Ky., and St. Paul, Minn., that produce trucks, analyst Erich Merkle at consulting firm IRN Inc. said.

Bloomberg
    <!--ADDITIONAL FACTS-->
    <!-- BODY TEXT --><!--ARTICLE BODY TEXT-->WASHINGTON -- Ford Motor Co.'s top North American official says the company no longer can build some models for years with just cosmetic changes to save costs, as growing competition demands more frequent and thorough updates.
    More than any other automaker, Ford has maximized its profits by minimizing its capital spending on certain models. Ford's Panther platform, the basis for the Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Town Car, has been in production since 1978 with only occasional changes in styling.
    The underpinnings of the Ford Ranger were launched in 1983, and the previous generation of Mustangs rode the Fox platform for 25 years.
    That strategy was rooted in traditional economics of building cars.
    The cost of factory machinery is spread over a number of years, and once that machinery is paid off the cost of making the vehicle plunges. Despite being sold mostly to taxicab companies and limousine fleets, the Crown Victoria has been among Ford's most profitable vehicles in recent years. It is also the top-selling police cruiser.
    But Mark Fields, president of Ford's North and South American business, said Ford is committed to more frequent updates to stay competitive. Fields said Ford would reduce the average age of its fleet from 4.4 years today to 3.2 years by 2008.
    As for using a platform for a decade or more, "that era is over," Fields said Wednesday in a discussion with reporters about the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineups. "The dynamics of the business have changed, and, if you sit back and deny that, the realities of the business catches up with you."
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by GreekGod
    ...snip...
    As for using a platform for a decade or more, "that era is over," Fields said Wednesday in a discussion with reporters about the Ford, Lincoln and Mercury lineups. "The dynamics of the business have changed, and, if you sit back and deny that, the realities of the business catches up with you."
    If you go by this statement here the Panther platform is basically dead.
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

Yes, you could say that, but he also clearly said that a model's viability in the market place, is the driving force. Hopefully, there will be enough of a public safety and taxi market to change that...BIKFDI

isn't the new wimpala just about the same dimentions for people and cargo?

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

hitchhiker Guest
    Ford has never marketed the panther platform well.

There are many customers who would have no other car if it is/were available.

I own a 2003 Ford Ranger Edge as my daily driver. 82000 miles so far. No issues and I love it.
    I have owned a 92 and a 94 also, additionally I have owned a 90 and 94 CV along with my MM.

Ford has stretched the Ranger out way farther than it should.
    I hate to think the Ranger will become another Colorado, but that's the way it's looking.
    My interest in the Durango made me remember the dark days in the early 80's where there was no money for future development...

I was in Detroit on Thursday, the headline in the Free Press was Daimler getting into the cop car business again...

(By the way. y'all have poopy roads, and no grits... )
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

I dont see Ford killing off the Panther anytime soon. They sell around 70k CV's (mostly police and taxis) and about the same number Grand Marquis (a big seller for L/M). Thats alot of cars. I could see where they will likely change the Town Car to something else and maybe even kill off the civilian CV but I bet the Panther has a few more years to go. Hell, it may end up like a Checker and never change.
    2005 Dodge 1500 Hemi Quadcab
    2020 Chevrolet Tahoe LS

This may be blasphemy to the auto world, but I don't need new sheet metal. I would rather have an ultra reliable car with all the bugs worked out. Funny how an "ancient" platform still has warranty issues. Didn't FMC learn anything over the years?
    2003 Marauder (300A, Flowmaster Super 40's, Spoiler)
    2007 Merc Grand Marquis (With Mustang 2007 "Bullitt" Rims)
    2008 Chevy Impala (Wifes car - icky FWD!)
    1994 K1500 Suburban
    1985 Monte Carlo with 19K miles

hitchhiker Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by grzellmer
    This may be blasphemy to the auto world, but I don't need new sheet metal. I would rather have an ultra reliable car with all the bugs worked out. Funny how an "ancient" platform still has warranty issues. Didn't FMC learn anything over the years?
    Back in the golden age of Detroit vehicles, manufacturers wanted us to want a new car every two years or so. Sheet metal, trim, and lighting changes were a deliberate attempt to make the previous model cars seem old. I was jsut a kid, but I can remember cars in showrooms covered or soaped up showroom windows, with the new models not to be revealed until some magic date. In short the car manufacturers would never do this then and they don't like to let a model stay the same too long now.

They should probably put in a more efficient engine and lighten up the car. This would help it with emissions and fuel economy. I think most people see the Panther platform as gas guzzlers and shy away from them. I'd prefer one to a minivan any day.

How about an aluminum body on frame car? Would it stand up to the same standards as a steel chassis? Give it more engine options like the 300C has and it can compete against that. Give it suspension/sport/luxury package options and it can compete against BMW or Mercedes.

There is so much they can do with it. It just depends on how they market it. People have all different needs. It can be made to fill quite a few with the right options.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

Using "Crown Vic" as a verb.

One Ford insider says, "I think we are done letting products wither on the vine, so I don't think we will Crown Vic the Explorer." Hey, "Crown Vic" is now a verb at Ford.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

minivans I driven burn more gas than us. The impala also burned about the same as the interceptor. Ligher wouldn't be a bad idea. Ford is the only one of the big three that doesn't have 4 cyl shut off on their V8's. That could also be good for highway. I get 26 going from state to state, if 4 cyls shut dow I couldn't imagine what magical # would appear.

2005 Satin White Pearl Legacy GT
    *Stage 2.5* 13.5 @ 96 MPH
    2003 Black 300A <---Click for pics.
    *Totaled *

Quote Originally Posted by merc6
    isn't the new wimpala just about the same dimentions for people and cargo?
    Yes! They're very close in that respect. I recently turned-in my CVPI service vehicle for a new 06' Impala "9C3". After I transferred my nearly 200 lbs. of gear, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I had room to spare!

BTW, I'm not quite so sure that they're deserving of the "Wimpala" title any longer.......the performance of the 06' model compared to the 05' model is like "night and day"........IMHO!

Fwiw

Found this on Wikipedia. Take with a grain of salt.

DaimlerChrysler and General Motors have begun moving back toward rear wheel drive for their premium models, whereas Ford never changed its Panther-based models. While there is no real evidence and conflicting reports on the future of the Panther platform, Ford is rumored to be considering replacing the Panther platform with a derivative of the Australian Ford Falcon in 2008. This would be the replacement for the Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis, while the Town Car would be replaced with an all-wheel drive sedan based on the Ford D3 platform.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Panther_platform
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

A few things can definately be said about an "ancient" model. It is tried and true. Most, if not all bugs have been worked out. There are soooooo many out there, that almost every mechanic has worked on one, so, if the need be, you can get it serviced almost anywhere.

On top of all of that...... FMC has got to be raking in cash from their sales. The machinery needed to make them has been paid off for YEARS! So....it's gotta be their price leader.

KillJoy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information