Thread: Marauder ...... or Gran Marquis??

KSMM03 Guest

Question Marauder ...... or Gran Marquis??

Just curious, how many of you are automotive enthusiasts....duh....all of you, silly me...

Anyhow, was it me or did others experience the same thing...

Saw the commercial, went to the website, read all that there is about Mercury's newest model, the Marauder. Went to your local dealership, gazed at the car, took it out, and did the deal....

Then, they print up the contract, and low and behold....it says.."Gran Marquis". Then, you get your certificate of ownership, and it says the same thing..

But all the advertising, articles, rear bumper cover, owners manual and window sticker says...Marauder, even the letter you get from Elaine Ford thanking you when you get your jacket says Marauder..

So, what did I do? I sent them a letter with all the things that state this as a Marauder including their letter. Got a call back from the folks in Michigan, and they're still researching it, and were supposed to call me back in 3-5 days...

Am I asking for too much? Shouldn't the certificate of origin, and your title reflect Maruader??

Chris

Same ALMOST happened to me.
    Finalizing the loan paperwork and title stuff and the finance manager noted everything said Grand Marquise.
    He had to go back and enter all info manualy seems the program they use is not updated to reflect the Marauder.
    I never saw the MSO.
    I'll tell you what if the title comes back as a GM I'm taking it to my insurance co. for a rate adjustment.

Well, i too was miffed about the grand marq thing. I called my insurance company. They told me over the phone it is a grand marq, then when i got my certificate, it said Marauder! So, i was happy. I an anxious to see what the nevada dmv says it is.

Dave

Same thing with mine. Contract and registration say Gran Marquis. Insurance company says it's a Gran Marquis. And to boot...my wife ordered me a car cover from the dealer. He told her it was made specifically for the Marauder... got it... and it says Gran Marquis on it!
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD V6
    2008 Mercury Sable Premier
    2002 Mercury Sable LS (Sold)
    1998 Ford Contour Sport (Sold)
    1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Scrapped)
    1997 Mercury Villager Nautica (Sold)
    2003 Mazda Protege5 (Sold)

My title and registration BOTH say Marauder. Even though my dealer papers called it a Grand Marquis.
    Dave (1stMMGTCC)
    Dayton Ohio -- BIRTHPLACE of Aviation, the Automotive Self Starter, Cash Register and the highest per capita number of patents in the USA and home of the first MM with GT Coil Covers

Cool Retirement Community Cruiser

My paper work is about evenly divided between GM and Marauder. The nice part is my insurance company says it is a GM.. Insurance Company: "And just what is a Marauder???" My Answer: "A black GM with shiny wheels!!" Keep those low rates coming!! Now if I can just get the AARP discount rates when I head to Florida...:p

Does anybody have a VIN decoder for 03's yet? I suspect the confusion maybe the only digits that changes is the engine code...
    Wayne

All my paperwork and such says GM on it also. Doesn't bother me any. It's the VIN thats important.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Brian Guest
    The only sure VIN difference between a 2003 Grand Marquis LS and a 2003 Marauder is in the 8th position (engine).

W = 4.6L SOHC
    V = 4.6L DOHC

There is also the possibility of a difference in the 4th position (restraint type).

All Marauders are H.
    Grand Marquis can be H or F, depending on option content.

H = Dual Front air bags plus front Side air bags (std on Marauder)
    F = Dual Front air bags

But if its totaled (God forbid) you dont want the insurance giving you value for a GM. Make sure.

Bishop 95 BBB Impala SS
    Headers, Intake, Yada, yada, yada, 14.7

Good point. May have to check it out with my insurance company...
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

The order code for both the GM and the Marauder are the same, it is a 75M body.
    2003 Marauder, 300A, Black/Dark Charcoal
    Adopted August 8, 2007. Retired August 8 2014. Trilogy #234 installed May 2011, SS Inserts, Factory spoiler, widened rims, Nittos, Permachrome rims, 3.2 blower pulley.

2004 DTR/Dark Charcoal,
    Adopted: April 2004 Retired: February 2006
    Trilogy #34 Supercharger,SS Inserts,Factory spoiler,K&N AirCharger,Moonroof,Heated seats,6 disc

2003 300A, Black,
    Adopted: June 2002 Retired: April 2004
    Rienhart stage one.

I just checked my title and it is a Marauder... I compared several VINs that are online at my dealer and the only differences are as Brian pointed out, the SRS and the Motor... Since you can order a GM with the SRS upgrade the code that counts is the 8th...
    Wayne

james_hart6 Guest

Re: Marauder ...... or Gran Marquis??

Originally posted by KSMM03
    >> Went to your local dealership, gazed at the car, took it out, and did the deal....

Then, they print up the contract, and low and behold....it says.."Gran Marquis". Then, you get your certificate of ownership, and it says the same thing..<<

Chris
    Chris,

All of the paperwork from the dealership on mine says "Marauder"...except for the Odometer Disclosure Statement which has the correct VIN but says "Mercury Marquis" under Model...and the Application for Title, which says "Mercury 4Dr"...as did the Vehicle Title when the State of Michigan sent it to me - the "Model" is left blank...the insurance certificate says "Marauder"...I don't didn't finance the car (but sure as heck would have if they had offered me 0% !!) so there's no financial paperwork to check.

I took delivery on 8/26 and haven't heard anything about the jacket, nor have I been contacted by anyone at L/M. Dealer said jacket paperwork may take up to six weeks - they're not exactly sure 'cause mine is the only one this dealer has sold.

I love the part where I go to work after picking up the car, co-workers ask "So what didja get?"...I say "Mercury Marauder"...they say "I didn't know Mercury made an SUV..."

After driving a Cherokee for the last three years, and seeing dozens (literally!) of cars just like it every day, it's refreshing to drive something that's a little different.

Now, if people will just stop slowing down on the freeway as I get to the bottom of the entrance ramp...

Jim
    Last edited by james_hart6; 09-21-2002 at 08:20 AM.

KSMM03 Guest

Thumbs up Update....

Okay, so after several phone calls, what has been said in reply to my original post is what the case is. In short, its too late to do anything now, but they are hoping to fix this for next year....(Hmm, trade in...)

I talked with Eric Kohler and he pretty much gave me the down and dirty. He apparently visits this website and they do take alot of what we've been saying to heart. They want to do right by this car. Probably why they visit the site. He had mentioned something about the transmission concern some of you had mentioned and that may get fixed in the next iteration of MM's.

Having said that, I'm going to ask my dealer about the $2K rebate. Mr. Kohler thinks I have a valid claim.

Pictures at 11 kiddos!!

Thread Information