Thread: 1998 Lincoln Continental Front End Noise

1998 Lincoln Continental Front End Noise

My Mothers 98 Continental is making a hell of a noise in the Front end. It sounds almost like you are riding on a flat tire and as speed increases it becomes louder and faster. I am also getting a shimmey in the wheel at speeds above 40. The car has 130,000 miles on it. Does anybody know what Im in for? CV Joints?

Reinhart tune, NGK TR6 Plugs, 180 Degree stat,EMP/ Stewart Water Pump, K&N Aircharger, Cobra Exhaust, Megs Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flows, 4.10 gears, COP Connectors, Underdrive Pulleys, PHP Intake Spacer, 255/55/18 KDW2 Rears, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Ford Racing Girdle

Maybe faulty hubs and bearings? Keep us posted.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Nevermind..... 3 of the lug nuts were loose on the drivers side wheel... I feel pretty dumb but atleast it was a cheap fix .

Thanks anyway guys

Reinhart tune, NGK TR6 Plugs, 180 Degree stat,EMP/ Stewart Water Pump, K&N Aircharger, Cobra Exhaust, Megs Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flows, 4.10 gears, COP Connectors, Underdrive Pulleys, PHP Intake Spacer, 255/55/18 KDW2 Rears, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Ford Racing Girdle

I'm on my third Continental. Had two 98's and now an 02 (last year made).

Only had problems with one of my 98's. The seal between the torque converter and the transmission started leaking, while on a trip. This seal looks like a donut. Costs about $5.00 for the part, but is a 10 hour job to remove the transmission from the bottom. A year later, the "rack" (platform) that the engine/transmission sits on (FWD) shifted. Got that fixed and never had any other problems with that 98.

Other 98 had no problems.

My 02 was purchased with very low milage. It had a rough idle, but ran fine at speed. Had them check the idle, and (to make a long story short) it turned out to be a porous head. Dealer replaced the head and valves, etc. Car still runs great with no additional problems.

When this one goes, if I can't find another low milage 02 (did I say it was the last year made?) I will probably go with an 06 Zephyr or whatever they call (MKZ) them for 07. (I understand the 07's will have the 3.5L engine)

Quote Originally Posted by ctrcbob
    When this one goes, if I can't find another low milage 02 (did I say it was the last year made?) I will probably go with an 06 Zephyr or whatever they call (MKZ) them for 07. (I understand the 07's will have the 3.5L engine)
    We bought my mom an '02 with 30k on it last September. Running great thusfar! She loves the car, and I've driven it and if I move and extend my commute to a longer distance I will consider one as a commuter.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Thread Information