Thread: Dealer Logo

Unhappy Dealer Logo

Anyone know how to get rid of the dealer logo that is painted on the trunk without repainting the whole piece?

Thanks,
    -A

Re: Dealer Logo

Originally posted by duhtroll
    Anyone know how to get rid of the dealer logo that is painted on the trunk without repainting the whole piece?

Thanks,
    -A
    Are you sure its paint ? They usually use a decal that may look like paint. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Sure feels like it - don't want to pick at it -- yet.

-A

Make THEM remove it. I told my dealer before I signed the sales order there had best be NO stickers/decals etc, or they would be forced to remove it BEFORE they would get my signature on the delivery.
    ============================== ===
    Forget directions, I need to file a flight plan
    ============================== ===

A lot of dealers use a transfer. It looks like paint, sightly raised. it comes off easily with a little heat. Try a hair dryer to soften it then lift it off one letter at a time by catching a corner and lifting it.
    undefined2003 300A
    REINHART Vortech

Paint would be an extreme treatment, and decals are getting better (living longer) everyday. I'd bet on decal, and I have had to remove them from a number of treated surfaces.

My first attack with be with plain old rubbing alcohol, used sparingly, as you seek out the decal's edges and just keep picking away at it. Use your fingernail, not an appliance like a razor blade, you want to disturb the decal, not the clearcoat. Failing that, a light application of WD 40 will get the results alcohol doesn't. I wouldn't suggest any more aggressive solvents, you do not want to chemically penetrate the clearcoat either. If the decal is resistant to these solvents, I'd be hell on the dealer until he got it off.

Delivery badges, stickers, labels and license plate frames p*ss me off, and I'll tell you why. One time a while back, I bought a new car and the prep/delivery jockey replaced a 30 dollar custom frame with .05c worth of dealer plastic. I caught it before I pulled away, and even as I stood there beefing and dialing 911, the dealer could not locate my frame. He did cough up for a new one. Since then, I've fought back whenever I could, and a few years back, I even won a minor war with a local dealer over deliver decals.

This dealer was removing the third brake light and placing a correctly to scale sticker over the red brake light lense. The end effect was that when stuck in traffic behind one of his cars, you got flashed a famous local name. It was a cut-out too, the dealer's name appeared in bright red. Poor owners didn't know about it, until they got stopped by the police. Stupid dealer refused to cease his crafty (trademark licensed thru RF) trick at first. I guess he didn't believe that the NHTSB really policed the mandatory third brake light statute, until the Special Agent in his face showed his handcuffs.

Suddenly, the dealer saw the error of his ways and promised to correct that as the cars came in for service. What a miracle, over the next two weeks, recent buyers affected received news of a free oil change, "please visit us soon."

End of freedom often produces end of story, eh?

Post Melt it off

Use a regular hair dryer. I just bought a Jeep that had the dealer's logo that looked painted. I put the hair dryer on it and it peeld off. You paid for the car. They didn't pay you to advertise for them!!
    Mike Eaton

A politician is Someone who promises someone another person's money.

I agree...make them take it off. If they damage the paint, they're at fault and they will have to fix it. My grandfather went to buy a car from a dealer and he told them: "Unless you are going to pay me to advertise your dealership, you're going to have to remove that label off of the car I am planning on buying." You should have seen the look on the guy's face.
    -Jonathan McClain
    -EVOOA Member# 1337
    -2003 Mercury Marauder DBP/LF (heated seats)
    -2003 Mercury Marauder BLK/DC (former tribal police unit)
    -2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport DBP/LF (Stiegemeier worked AED S/C build in progress)
    -2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor MT/DC "DRAGNET" (HiTech Stage 2 cams, etc. in progress)
    -2016 Volkswagen Passat V6 SEL Premium BLK/BLK (LED/Technology Package)

Wow - thanks for all the replies guys! When I wake up tomorrow(very tired) I will try these until I get rid of the thing.

Thanks again!

-A
    Self-importance is our greatest enemy. Think about it - what weakens us is feeling offended by the deeds and misdeeds of our fellowmen. Our self-importance requires that we spend most of our lives offended by someone. -- Carlos Castaneda

Same thing here. When I closed the deal told them NO to the logo. Said the owner whould be upset? Turns out the lot guy mission is to put them on as soon as they arrive...Needless to say they removed it, I do however have it on back of my cell phone fits real nice, protects the phone. As for the front plate I dropped that off before I picked the car up. Pa does not require front plate. Only thing I left with was their plate where the Pa plate would go in the rear till the Pa. plate arrived about 2 months later..
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Thats the same thing I told the dealer when I bought my first new car,"I want $50 per month to addvertise your dealership" or take all your logo's off my car.This same dealership also would install one of there plate frames if your car came in without a frame,"ah thats going to cost you $100 plus $50 per month".Huh?
    Or I would say"I guess my oil change is free today?"

Dealer advertising

I'm with all of you. It's a fact of buying the car that you'll be "promoting" its manufacturer, which I accept as a matter of pride in ownership and craftsmanship in the product.

I work in the newspaper business, which makes its money off ads.

Giving in on dealer advertising is essentially allowing them use of your car as a billboard free of charge, when they have done nothing to earn it other than deliver it to you.

When I buy a car, I just calculate how much that little ad (decal, dealer plate cover, or sticker) would cost if they were to place the same size ad in the newspaper every day for as long as I'm paying for the car. Then I tell them, that's what I would like deducted from the cost of my car to run their ad on my car.

Example: 2"x5" sticker=$250/per day as newspaper ad.
    1 year = $91,250
    3 years = $273,750
    5 years = $456,250

They get the point real quick.

Mad1

P.S. I haven't had one accept my offer yet, but I'll keep trying.
    '03 Marauder bone stock
    Build No. 612,178 at St. Thomas plant
    -Tenn. Custom plate: MARAUDR
    - Bob White decals (chrome reflective)
    - Mac 'n Marty "Retro" Fender Badges
    - Autographed by Steve Babcock, Marauder Program Manager 09/20/2003 at First Marauder Meet, Ennis, Texas
    -2XL leather jacket

Blue Marauder Guest
    The only nameplate I would allow on my car would be "TASCA FORD." If you don't know the meaning of that one, you are too young.

Tasca Ford,bad azz Mustang.
    When I bought my new truck I caught their porter too late, after he'd already stuck the decal on it as I was switching all my junk from the old to the new.I asked him nicely to remove it, he got a heat gun and removed it very carefully, and made sure there was no residue or any marks.
    I did let them put the frames on my plates as my old ones were broken anyway,now that it's warm I can replace them.
    Member #462
    2004 DTR II
    2005 H-D E Glide Classic
    2009 Super Glide Custom

"Come See a Fat Old Man Sometime"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlB7bz0TrZM

Thread Information