Thread: Trans shift sequence

Trans shift sequence

Sorry to ask, this probably has been discussed before. I just want to clarify the sequence of shifts;

At 12 mph, 1 to 2 of course
    At 21 mph, I assume torque conv clutch (TCC) locks

At 27 mph, I assume 2 to 3 with TCC, (too much gear change)
    At 38 mph, I assume 3 to 4 with TCC, (again too much)

My MM is bone stock, above is with easy acceleration.

I assume some of the chips or reprogramming can change the shift points, and separate the gear shift and TCC functions??

Thanx for replying.

TP in VA , Blue MM, soon with new wheels & 255's

looking97233 Guest
    I don't get your point? If you don't want it to shift, step on the gas or lock it down.
    I like the fact that it gets decent gas milage when I am nice to her. Why would you want to change it?

If your MM is bone stock, I think you have a few too many TCCs in your equasion. From the factory, the tranny is programmed to put you into OD ASAP, it's shift pattern is P R S L I P. If you want performance, it's manual shift time or put your foot into it and wait for the down shift.

If you get a Reinhart chip, you can have any shift performance you wish, his standard setting are kick azz and solid, but you can ask for none at all too.

Thomas:

I didn't have mine stock for long enough to get used to it, but I believe the TC doesn't lock until the trans is in OD...at least that's the way my other 3 electronically-controlled transmissions were...

With Dennis's chip, it still feels like the same order (1st, 2nd, 3rd, OD, TC lock-up), but the shifts are a lot firmer and occur later, depending on how far your foot is in it...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

I'd just like confirmation on my assumptions wrt the shift sequence, especially the 27 mph excessive change/shift. I certainly have 4 shift points until top gear is attained.

With shifter in second, I have a shift the same shift at 21 mph which has to be the TCC.

Let me rephrase a bit; if you're asking "does the transmission upshift way too early?", the answer is yes, it does. Ford programmed the shift schedule to get into the highest gear possible as soon as possible for CAFE reasons...Dennis's chip will fix all that and make it behave "normally".

As to exactly what happens at each of your shift points, whether it's a gear change or a TC lock-up, I don't know.
    Last edited by RF Overlord; 05-12-2003 at 07:38 AM.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

I have to agree with RF, though it's been a while for me too. I recall that when in "2", the car stayed in "2" and the TC did not lock up. In fact, it's the same way now.

In Drive, OD off, is when the TC locks for the first time, and it does feel like a gear change. After slipping into OD, the trans will lock again, and you can make yourself crazy trying to track the locking at cruise speeds. When it unlocks, you just coast along, until it decides to lock up again, and you can notice that.

With regards to what MPh or RPM shifts and lock occur, I can't answer anymore because it's different with a RPC, and my bone stock experience was a long time ago. Anyone?

bchapman Guest
    Is it me? My first gear is from 0 - 20, then 2nd from 20 to around 45 - 50, then 3rd until I back off the gas and it goes into OD. I can fool around with this all day, depending upon how heavy I put my foot into it and where I back off the gas. The only part I don't like is sometimes there's a hard shift between 1st and 2nd, or some sort of wheel slip or something going on back there, if I have stomped it a little too hard.

jrzygrl Guest
    I have the same issue with the hard hesitation shift between first and second, asked the dealership today to check it just to be sure it's normal, they say yes. It is frequently when the car is cold and I too "stomp"it a little hard from a dead stop. Alot of it is getting used to a car altogether for me though, I also drive a chipped 350 Diesel and had a Navigator for quite a while.

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    Dennis's chip will fix all that and make it behave "normally".

The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    Daily Driver

Don't know if my 94 TBird trans is an older version of the MM's present trans, but here's what I've learned (all standing or slightly rolling starts).

1) Full throttle, leaving the car in "D": 1-2 shift is slow and provides no kick.

2) Full throttle, starting out in "L" and manually upshifting to "2": same as above.

3) Full throttle, starting out in "D", manually shifting to "2" just before redline: 1-2 shift is firm, tires give a slight chirp

Difference in shifting using method #3 can definitely be felt, and the chirp is not caused by the motor racing between 1-2 and dropping into 2.

After seeing all the comments, I guess the sequence of shifts is;

At 12 mph, 1 to 2, smooth
    At 21 mph, 2 to 3, smooth

At 27 mph, TCC, (too much change)
    At 38 mph, 3 to 4 with TCC, (again too much)

But with the info provided, something is odd. With shifter in 2, there is that same shift at 21 mph, that is either TCC or 3rd, ???

With the OD button off, the 38 mph shift is disabled.

I'm not concdrned about hard acceleration, just want to clarify what is going on with trans, especially if I spend money to change, I'd like to know what I started with. My MM is bone stock.

Thanx.

Thread Information