Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Highest Mileage Marauder??

Highest Mileage Marauder??

Awhile back there was a similar thread and someone one here responded with 160K miles and going strong.....who was that??

I wanted to ask him if the LSD was still working as I think the consensus here is they don't live very long......I disagree depending on driving conditions I have had them last way past 100K miles!!

Any input from "High Milers" will be interesting!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I think it was Mongoose (Charlie).
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Consider this...Limited slip differential doesn't do anything at all, until you trottle up and get into some power, and start losing traction. Then it kicks in and locks both rear axles and you go. In this sense, gross mileage has little to do extended longevity, or, premature failure. It's all in how you drive your Marauder.

Arrow I 2nd this

Quote Originally Posted by MM03MOK
    I think it was Mongoose (Charlie).
    What ^^^^she^^^^ said.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

I'm almost at 70000 and my LSD still works fine I even have worn out axle shafts that I installed a bearing fix kit which relocates where the bearing rides on the axle. Will probably be replacing the axles next year after winter not planning on driving in the winter. But can still brake torque them and both wheels spin as if it were new.

37k under Agressive Conditions and still as tight as new! A few Brakestands thrown in too. Nothing too nuts though.

Reinhart tune, NGK TR6 Plugs, 180 Degree stat,EMP/ Stewart Water Pump, K&N Aircharger, Cobra Exhaust, Megs Delete Tips, Flowmaster 40 Series Delta Flows, 4.10 gears, COP Connectors, Underdrive Pulleys, PHP Intake Spacer, 255/55/18 KDW2 Rears, Powerslot Rotors, Hawk Pads, TCI Deep Trans Pan, Ford Racing Girdle

Doing burnouts without a line lock and aggressive launches at the track with drag radials smoked my stock limited slip in a very short timeframe. Don't abuse it and maybe you'll get the miles you're expecting out of it.
    Currently Marauderless but looking

lsd

My LSD came out after 40k of hard driving & lots of 1/4 miles. It was fine, the pinion gear gave up though.
    BUCKWHEAT 03 MM 300A-August, '02 mfgr, black w/ blue metallic clearcoat, 94,000 miles, Texid stroker 5.0, #15 Kool-Aide w/ SnakeBite porting, Venom cooling, and upgraded to M122, 3873 of 7839

Mongoose (Charlie).....

Are you out there somewhere??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I'm back!
    176K and still kickin' ass and takin' names
    "Bought them to drive on the parkway, not park in the driveway."

Ol' Black I (aka: The Beast)
    2003 MM 300A
    born 08/07/02, bought on 10/01/02,
    expired 4/17/07 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=35570) but not retired.
    Revived 8/3/08, 660RWHP, 547LBTQ

Ol' Black II (aka: Beauty)
    2003 MM 300A
    bought on 5/14/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    I'm back!
    176K and still kickin' ass and takin' names
    That's 7 times around the earth at the equator!

Charlie!
    MOK

|Administrator, MM.Net | International Director of Membership|

--------------------------

I don't brake for curves!

The eyes may be the doorway to the soul,

but the voice is the chariot to the heavens

Hi Mary!

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack

I wanted to ask him if the LSD was still working as I think the consensus here is they don't live very long......I disagree depending on driving conditions I have had them last way past 100K miles!!

Marauderjack
    It's a long story, but after a dealer screwed it up twice (the original problem was a single drop of grease from the pinion seal!), my friend Dave and I rebuilt the entire rear axle assembly @93K. That included axle bearings and seals and a new ring and pinion plus all the other internals. So that makes 83K on that rebuild with no problems. I've change the gear lube once since rebuild. It should also be noted that this was the first and only time I've ever rebuilt a rearend. (Being a machinist has its advantages as I was able to make all the special tooling needed.) So to answer your question, yes they can last past 100K if you take care of them. Of my 176K, about 150K of that is with the 4.10 gears.
    "Bought them to drive on the parkway, not park in the driveway."

Ol' Black I (aka: The Beast)
    2003 MM 300A
    born 08/07/02, bought on 10/01/02,
    expired 4/17/07 (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=35570) but not retired.
    Revived 8/3/08, 660RWHP, 547LBTQ

Ol' Black II (aka: Beauty)
    2003 MM 300A
    bought on 5/14/2007

Thanks Mongoose!!

I have had them last well over 100K miles but I don't drag race or do burn outs and such.....I would guess that would take its toll on them!!

I will probably rebuild mine in the next 6 months and will probably go with a different Posi Unit......Suggestions??

I will probably go to 3.73 gears as well.

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Wow 176k on a Marauder, that's a lot of miles for 3-4 years of driving!

On a side note, my Mustang is a 1990 GT with a 8.8 trak-lok and with 199k on the clock. I did a burnout a few months ago and it left two nice black lines.

From what I can tell it's all original back there...
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Everytime one wheel turns faster than the other it wears on the clutch packs. Thats why you need to be carefull and use the same size tire on the rear of any ford trac-lok system. I change the clutch packs in my stang about every 30k. They are usually worn down pretty good when I do this. My explorer had 80k on it when I first changed out its clutch packs and they were shot. When I put in the 3.73's @ 38k in the Merc they looked OK. I shoulda changed them but I didn't have the time.

As for high miles 176k thats awesome!!! I hope I can keep my car long enough to put that that kinda miles on it. How does the paint look on the front? has it held up well?

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information