Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: RoyalPurple Synthetic 5w20

RoyalPurple Synthetic 5w20

Hi all,

After much gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands, I've decided in my next oil-change to go with RoyalPurple 5w20 Full Synthetic.

I know....I know.... most everyone is using Mobil1 5w30. I can even get that stuff at Sam's for $22 a 6qt case. However, I am turning risk averse in regards to my warranty. So, after consulting my service manager, I'm sticking with 5w20 and given that my only options are Amsoil and Royal Purple.

I'm interested whether anyone has opinions on RoyalPurple in a positive or negative sense. I dont really want to debate 5w30 vs 5w20. I'm aware of those issues.

Any comments?

Johnny
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

Johnny,

I'm the lone Royal Purple user. I use the 5W30, though. This was recommended by the Ford Master Tech that takes care of mine and I change every 4-5K miles due to mostly highway miles.

No problems to report.

Marauder57 Guest
    This is the first place I have ever heard of Royal Purple....I thought maybe when it was mentioned it was a joke...but then I was looking through a magazine at a Dr's office and saw an add for it...

Personally I have been using Mobil 1 for the last 15 years on all my cars.....works great.....88 Cougar XR7, Tbird, F150...

What does Royal Purple offer over other engine oils? Weight arguments aside (I hear ya Johnny) what make this oil so significant?

For that matter, why does Mobil 1 seem to have so many loyal followers?

I would love to know the difference, if it was explained to me, I may become a fan too.

Until then, IMHO, the best oil is clean oil, and the recommended synth/blend seems more than adequate when short term and frequent change is also recommended.

If the performance of the engine oils mentioned is equal, then...

Anyone?

Sarge - I agree that the best oil is clean oil. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Tetsu I too have listened to all the 5 30 guys and have developed this opinion based on many calls to ford and mercury. You should deffinately go with the 5 20 or 0 20. The tolerances in these new engines are light years ahead of the older ones. Also the engines are designed i.e. oil pumps and such for this oil. I am also reminded of back in the 80s when Ford first went 5 30 and all the experts like service managers and mechanics would reccomend at least 10 40. I feel this backlash is due to a resistance to change. Oils viscosity has little to due with its lubrication qualitys. The heavier oils were meant not only to lube but also to bridge gaps that are not existant in the newer cnc milled motors. Especially with aluminum blocks and overhead cams. I am sure some will mention race oils and to that point we dont run in the red zone for 500 miles at a time. Warranty issues be damned... The only thing I can get people to agree on is that full synthetics at this weigh will retain lube properties much better than dino rot. They also reccomend that we switch to synthetic trans fluid when we chage that...
    Last edited by vaderv; 05-13-2003 at 05:22 PM.
    2003 MM 300 A
    1984 F150 "STEPSIDE"
    "cause I COULD"

Billatpro Guest
    Well, at the risk of fumbling through this I think I'll give it a shot. I know of the "Purple" only because they were the main sponsor on Cristen Powell's Top Fuel dragster. The stuff has made it's way into many drag race motors with outstanding results for resisting "sludging", "sulferic breakdown","scuffing", "heat degradation" and whole list of others. I can't say for sure if she used the stuff in the fuel motor or not but I understand it has the formulation to handle this kind of punishment. There is no more extream duty then this and anything that can stand up to it has got to be good. The only reason this or any oil does not make into wide spread use among the pro ranks of dragracers is common "Oil Deal" a weekend of funny car racing will go through a 150 to 200 quarts of oil and thats works out to a lot of money. There are only two or three vendors handing out free oil to the teams and an outsider will find it tough to break into that game.
    The "Purple" in this royal concoction is not part of the "magic" potion" but rather part of the magic of marketing.

1,300,000 miles a year! 20 vans/trucks 17 Fords driven HARDED than we will ever ever push our MM. Real world, real oil 5W-20 changed every 3000 miles........... Have had engines go 300,000 miles and then traded in.. Nuff said
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Originally posted by Billatpro
    The "Purple" in this royal concoction is not part of the "magic" potion" but rather part of the magic of marketing.
    Saw a commercial for Royal Purple on the Speed Channel on Sunday...stuff looks like Grape Kool-Aid...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Right ON with the Royal Purple...more merchandising than go..........something different, that's all, same oil as MotorCraft, as SAE has to make them all fit within paticular catagories......

Just got 9K on my MM that I got last Aug, and it's just really getting broke in, or rather I am getting used to it. The nose of the car will fake you out if you don't watch it,threr's another 3 feet of car out there, and without a center stripe of some kind on the hood, it's e-z enought smack a curve. I have new wheels now, and they are goon stay new, without those dongs that happened the 1st time around.

Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth,Tx
    Jim Williams
    Ft.Worth, Republic of Texas

RoyalPurple is FULL synthetic. The better Motorcraft is only a blend. I'm most interested simply due to it's full synthetic nature and reputation for resisting to forming lacquers and sludges.

PLUS, it's the only full synthetic besides AMSOIL which comes in 5w20.

Johnny
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

Originally posted by Bigdogjim
    1,300,000 miles a year! 20 vans/trucks 17 Fords driven HARDED than we will ever ever push our MM. Real world, real oil 5W-20 changed every 3000 miles........... Have had engines go 300,000 miles and then traded in.. Nuff said
    Bigdog, are you saying that you put RoyalPurple in your fleet?

Johnny
    - SCT ala DR. Yippee!!

Who makes RoyalPurple? Never heard of it before this thread. Have driven two cars over 250,000 miles and a 4 cly. POS Pontiac sundird over 230,000 miles with no major repairs. Oil and filter every 3,000 miles. I have just started to use synthetic oil, although I'll use the Motorcraft 5 W 20 on the Marauder. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

tetsu: Sorry for the misunderstanding 5W-20 regular oil Motorcaft. It works for me...
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

maraudaver Guest

Tetsu,
    I work in an oil refinery and we have switched to Royal Purple lubricants for all our Rotating Equipment. This was a major economic decision as it is much more expensive than conventional oil (we used to use Amoco lubricants).

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread Information