Thread: KB Style Dead Pedal Bracket Dimensions w Mustang Pedal

johnnywaters Guest

KB Style Dead Pedal Bracket Dimensions w Mustang Pedal

I made my Dead Pedal bracket from two pieces of scrap metal from my garage welded together (1 Ό” angle iron and 4” x 5” plate both 1/8” thick) and a dead pedal from a Mustang.
    1 Ό” x 6” long angle iron:
    · Drill two 5/16” holes 4 Ύ” apart on the top leg fairly close to the top edge.
    · Cut two inches off the lower leg on the left end (driver direction).
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com[IMG]http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/ /><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face=[/IMG]<font size=" /><o:p></o:p>
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">4”x 5” of 1/8” plate: <o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Weld 4” top of plate to 4” outside edge of angle. One bead at right angle intersection of plate / angle iron, and one bead on top edge of plate and angle iron.
    <o:p></o:p>
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Drill plate for pedal:<o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Install bracket in car, trial fit Mustang pedal, mark holes with magic marker, remove from car, drill/tap holes, or dimensions I used ,
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Drill two 7/32” holes, 3” from top line of plate, one 1 Ό” from rear hole centerline, the other 2 5/8” from rear hole centerline,
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Thread each hole with a Ό-20 tap,
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Attach Mustang pedal to one hole in plate using top hole of pedal bracket, drill three holes in an arc using lower pedal hole as a template. One hole vertical, one at 30° toward driver, and one in between. Repeat process for other hole. Tap all six holes. (Pedal holes are 1 5/8” apart)
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Note: The holes in step 2 can be drilled higher to mount pedal higher; however do not drill lower as floor interference will result.
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Install bracket in car:<o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Remove kick panel (pry up two plastic clips under door weather stripping with screw driver)
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Loosen Hood Release Bracket by removing 14mm screw from front and nut from rear stud using 10mm nut driver or socket.
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Put DP bracket under HR Bracket.
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Replace screw/nut. (I had to replace the existing ½”long 14mm metal screw with a 1” one obtained from Lowes.)
    <FONT face=Symbol><FONT size=3>· <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>Attach pedal to bracket using Ό-20 x ½” hex drive flat head screws or acorn head screws. (Back holes result in pedal ~ 1 ½” from floor using 30° angle)
    <FONT size=3><FONT face="Times New Roman">Kick panel holes w/o template:<o:p></o:p>
    <FONT face="Times New Roman"><FONT size=3>After determining ideal pedal position for you, make two sharp pointed studs from Ό-20 rod or screws. Remove pedal and temporary install the studs in mounting holes. Install the kick panel and pierce the kick panel with pressure against the sharpened ends. Remove studs and drill the holes to clean up and re-install pedal.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by johnnywaters; 07-28-2006 at 03:00 PM.

Are you planning any mass production?

I ask because I have a professionally designed bracket on the design table now, and it should be available in lots of 12 (group buy) for 25 bucks each, in two weeks. I'm working with Zack and Gary Chapel (Chapel1 here), and a company called Stur-Dee metals, a well know industrial supply company here in Chicago. It will work with the Mustang dead pedal presently available on the the 'net for around the same costs. The Kenny Brown dead pedal is no longer available.

If you have this covered, I'll pause. We have only one prototype in testing now, and I won't pursue this if you're claiming this territory. Please let me know? SergntMac@aol.com

johnnywaters Guest
    No, my production was limited to one unit.

My goal in this posting was only to provide dimensions for the mounting bracket for other MM owners who wanted a dead pedal in their car.

My total cost was $10 for the pedal on Ebay and about $2.00 at Lowes for the 14mm screw and washer. The other material was stuff left over in my gargage from other projects. The unit could have been made from plate without welding if you did not mind the use of a hacksaw on a piece of plate for the required 2" by ~8" cutout and had some satisfactory method to make the two required bends.

Your price is very good and fair. Please proceed.

Johnny

Good Job! I just bolted the Mustang dead pedal in my MM.... no fabrication what so ever.....
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by johnnywaters
    No, my production was limited to one unit.

My goal in this posting was only to provide dimensions for the mounting bracket for other MM owners who wanted a dead pedal in their car.

My total cost was $10 for the pedal on Ebay and about $2.00 at Lowes for the 14mm screw and washer. The other material was stuff left over in my gargage from other projects. The unit could have been made from plate without welding if you did not mind the use of a hacksaw on a piece of plate for the required 2" by ~8" cutout and had some satisfactory method to make the two required bends.

Your price is very good and fair. Please proceed.

Johnny
    Thank you, sir. The Z&M bracket a professionally bent 1/8 steel plate bracket that moves the pedal inboard just a tad, so it may support the full strength pressure it may have to endure.

FastBlack...I'm very interested in your mod. I have a stock Mustang dead pedal here, aAre you telling us that no adapter bracket is needed?

If so, I would like to hear more about your install. No need to fabricate something, if it's not necessary, right? I'm just working off the KB styling cues, for the benefit of us all, myself included.
    Last edited by SergntMac; 07-27-2006 at 05:12 PM.

I've subscribed to this thread. I've got two different versions of the mustang pedal, but haven't yet installed one. They were pretty cheap on ebay, I just bought the second one to see if it was different. It was for a different model year, one is for an 88-93, the other for 98-02, or something like that, I'd have to go back through my pp receipts. If I recall the bolt hole spacing is just slightly different.
    Anyway, I was going to try and install one next week as I'm on vacation. If your bracket makes the install sturdier Mac, I'm definitely interested. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Thank you, sir. The Z&M bracket a professionally bent 1/8 steel plate bracket that moves the pedal inboard just a tad, so it may support the full strength pressure it may have to endure.

FastBlack...I'm very interested in your mod. I have a stock Mustang dead pedal here, aAre you telling us that no adapter bracket is needed?

If so, I would like to hear more about your install. No need to fabricate something, if it's not necessary, right? I'm just working off the KB styling cues, for the benefit of us all, myself included.
    No mods to the Mustang dead pedal... unless you call wire brushing it and painting it a mod . I did have to reroute some of the wiring / connectors and had to modify the kick panel (see picture). I used stainless steel bolts, washers and nyloc nuts to mount it.

FastBlack, can you get us a pic of the pedal installed? Where it sits in it's final location with trim panel in place?

Thanks...You may have a resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    FastBlack, can you get us a pic of the pedal installed? Where it sits in it's final location with trim panel in place?

Thanks...You may have a resolution.
    Will do as soon as I get back home from Baltimore. Should have it by Saturday evening... definately Sunday. I'll post here and email you all the pics. I'll even try to make a template of the mod to the kick panel. I have a rented GM and my left foot keeps on lookin for the dead pedal.......
    Last edited by fastblackmerc; 07-27-2006 at 06:26 PM.
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Thread Information