Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low end torque

Question Low end torque

I purchased mm. in mid July, about only thing that dissapoints is start from a dead stop. I read about gears, chips, plugs and stats. None of the info on results is objective in any way that is measureable, only a lot of adjectives about being better. Can anyone provide solid numbers on what exactly "better" means. To me better means faster 0-60 and faster 1/4 mile. I have no interest (or the roadways) to cruise at 140 mph. thank you very much.

You didn't look too hard.

There are a couple of dyno threads. I can give you hard numbers. The dyno for the Reinhart chip revealed 18 rwhp and 30ft/lbs. It makes a huge difference. The chip brings the torque numbers in alot lower in the RPM band and does the same for the horsepower.

Check out this thread:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...s=&threadid=89

You can also search on the word "dyno" and it will bring up a ton of information.

As for times, I haven't been back out to the track yet with my latest mods. I feel pretty confident the car is good for a 14.5 second quarter as it sits today with my mods. When the weather cools down a bit it'll get a bit faster...

Stock, They're a 15+ second car. I've seen times from 15.2-15.9 out of stock cars.

Speaking of the weather cooling down, it has here in Michigan the last couple of days and it sure has made a difference in my MM. I have the chip and 4.10 gears. I know squak between first and second without manual shifting.
    2003 Marauder, 300A, Black/Dark Charcoal
    Adopted August 8, 2007. Retired August 8 2014. Trilogy #234 installed May 2011, SS Inserts, Factory spoiler, widened rims, Nittos, Permachrome rims, 3.2 blower pulley.

2004 DTR/Dark Charcoal,
    Adopted: April 2004 Retired: February 2006
    Trilogy #34 Supercharger,SS Inserts,Factory spoiler,K&N AirCharger,Moonroof,Heated seats,6 disc

2003 300A, Black,
    Adopted: June 2002 Retired: April 2004
    Rienhart stage one.

Smile Low end torque

Logan, Thank you for taking time to reply. I am not an automotive expert, but I repair my own cars (once they are out warranty). I own a 95 Vic. with performance package, it has more pull from dead stop than my MM. with 3.23 gears, of course after 3500 Rpms the Vic is in the dust.
    The 4.10 gears concern me, I keep my cars very long times; the higher rpms over the years on an aluminun block concern me. I do wish to improve low end torque to where at least it spins the tires from dead stop and goes 0-60 under 7. My objective is not to build a race car, but a so call muscle car that cannot spins the rear tires, that is a bitter disapointment. Your advise is greatly appreciated. Smokie.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Larry Vogel Guest

If you want to smoke em, try a 4.33 gear, but if you doing the stop-light grand prix, or stop-light street race, spinning them will get ya nowhere fast. I have the opposite problem with street tires and really isn't much fun when ya may want to run someone on the spur of the moment. Seems the only way anyone is gonna do good on the streets is only from a roll, for now anyways.

Well, if a sub-7 second 0-60 is your goal, you don't WANT to be spinning your tires! That being said, I didn't say it CAN'T spin the tires. You have to WANT to spin the tires. I stall it up above 1200rpm and put the pedal down, I guarantee there'll be a smoke show.

4.33's would work on this car too, but they're getting to be a bit on the agressive side and would plant a little too far into the power band IMHO.

With my 4.10's and other mods, my 0-60 is easily closer to 6 seconds... The chip alone adds 30ft/lbs MUCH lower in the power curve...

As for engine wear, at 80mph, I'm turning a whoping 350rpms higher than a 3.55 equipped car. The car could turn 5000+rpm all day long and never have any issues... This isn't the 60's, don't worry about it.

Smile Low end torque

Well again thank you for your input, I spoke with my son a little while ago ( he is a mechanic at a local Lexus dealer, don't hold that against me I tried to raise him right) and he told me I'm being silly to worry about the extra rpm's. I probably will go with the chip and 4.10. Maybe I'm just showing my age but as a teenager a muscle car did not need for me to do a brake launch to smoke the tires. The Fords I drove back then smoked the tires without any assist from brakes or chips. I guess the old adage is true " there is no replacement for displacement " Thanks for the advise and responses, I truly do enjoy driving the MM. and also this forum keep up the good work. Smokie.
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

you also need to remember that the tires today grip ALOT better. Spin is nice, but I just want that little chirp that tells everyone that there is power.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Sean Guest

You are right about off the line torque. The DOHC 4.6's power curve is lacking in the bottom end. You shouldnt have to worry about the rpms on an aluminum block, no problem. The real strain on the aluminum block comes in high toque situations under full load, say running at maximum speed for extended periods of time or towing continuously through mountains. Then the aluminum block begins to flex...and we all know what that means! The marauder has a very strong motor in it, but i dont think it was chosen well. The DOHC is more suited to lighter car applications in the build that is installed in the Marauder. Around town the maradauder feels like my 99 police interceptor, but merging on a highway, you can really feel the difference! Boy can you! Besides that it just looks so much more sexy... to bad grampa doesnt know the difference and just thinks its another "luxo-chrome" dealer package. I would have chosen some kind of roots blown 2v motor to drop in the marauder stock, or possibly that triton v-10, which fits nicely.

You said it brother... How much you wanna bet there will be a detuned version of the 03 cobra motor in here within 2 years?

Sean Guest
    I just know those ford and SVT engineers are dying to drop in a bigger motor. They probably think like us and want to, but buget might not allow. I think there is an 88 percent chance of that happening! I hope to god it does!!! One thing i want to comment on though, man. Have you ever heard a flowmastered dual 3 inch exhausted triton v-10? Wow! Those things just sound like they have torque... kind of an evil sound though...under load, it sounds like some kind of Torque Monster from hell hahah, and personally, i think it sounds meaner than any engine i have ever heard, including top fuel and the BMW Mclaren Engine.

I am really fond of that cobra steel block, and would like to get ahold of one to drop in my car if i dont go the super expensive 6.8L route. Being 19, im doing my best to mod a crown vic, but like most others, i have been waiting on the marauder since we heard about the lounge lizard crown vic back in '99. Im hoping the marauder will make people realize the true potential of the venerable panther platform cars.

-Sean

Kevyn Guest
    I have seen a considerable amount of discussion on gears and chips but has anyone considered a converter change?
    I used to own a P71 crown vic and I really like the MM.
    I know it would bring along oher baggage like warranty issues and transmission heat but it seems like a good converter would be ideal for dealing with the lack of low end power.

A Convertor is on my short list of things to do. In fact, it'll be my next mod. Right after I get a big tranny cooler installed. I'm in the process of researching it now... A 2800-3000 rpm stall speed is what I'm lookin' at...

That's why I installed the tranny temp gauge in place of the cigarette lighter....

mtnh Guest

stall speed?

Logan, I thought these cars were built with a 3K stall just to overcome the lack of low-end punch due to the huge intake runner volume due to 16 intake routes. I can't say that I have brake-locked the car with the pedal to the metal yet to see where the stall occurs, but now, I am inclined to do that...as soon as I can get the car away from my wife! :^)
    But wait! Doesn't Dennis' chip lock the converter at WOT? WOW!

Mike

Vicky Guest

Performance Chip

Hi,

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

All I want to do is change the way the car shifts from a dead start. I don't want to race the car or put it through extremes. Ok, maybe spin the tires at least once. Especially, in front of the Boston Globe Building.

Will this new chip work for this purpose? Also, do I have to change the thermostat at the same time I install the chip?

Also, I read the instructions for installing the new chip. I have done one previously in a 98 Crown Victoria, but the contacts did not have conformal coating. They had some sort of grease on them. Is there any other way to clean the contacts to remove the conformal coating? i.e. acetone????
    I'm nervous about scraping the gold contacts.

Sorry for the last question, but I have been building boards for the past 20 years.........and know how easily gold can get damaged. Also, I only have 150 miles on the car so far.

Please advise
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information