Every car I've ever driven with DRLs has them OFF until the parking brake is released. This is not the case with my MM, and dealer says it's a 2003 thing.

The problem is that my DRLs are on ALL THE TIME. The moment I turn the key to ON, DRLs are on, parking brake or not.

This is a pain for many reasons:

1) Anytime you want to work on a car with the ignition key ON but the engine not running.... battery drain.
2) Sometimes you just want to sit in a parking lot idling with the lights OFF.
3) related to #2, last night I went to a drive-in theater (wife had never been to one, they don't exist in Sweden). So it's a hot and muggy evening, so watching the movie with the A/C on would have been fun, except the damned lights would be bothering the guy in front of me!!!! So I had no choice but to turn off the engine, and watch those cool fog patches form on the inside of the windshield due to the inoperative A/C. With the heat and humidity, the kid was sweating up a storm and crying big time. He finally fell asleep midway through the movie, but heck it was not the best of nights... thanks Ford.

So, any feedback from Canadian MM owners on DRL operation would be most valuable to me. Thanks in advance!