Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Canadian MM owners: DRL question.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    The US cars do not have a DRL module, the connector is there but has a dummy plug in it.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by RCSignals
    The US cars do not have a DRL module, the connector is there but has a dummy plug in it.

RC, you have a unique way of popping into threads with *just* the right piece of information at the right time.

Any part# on this plug? It would help to figure what is shorted and what is left open. From there, I could fab a custom DRL on/off setup, for sure.

Thanks again for this crucial bit of info.

Day Time Running Lights

Is there a way to hook them up so they go on when the car is put into drive? DRL's are required on all new cars manufacutred for sale in Canada. To totally defeat them would probablly be a violation of some rule and is also a safety factor. IMHO. John
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

TripleTransAm Guest

Re: Day Time Running Lights

Originally posted by jgc61sr2002
    Is there a way to hook them up so they go on when the car is put into drive? DRL's are required on all new cars manufacutred for sale in Canada. To totally defeat them would probablly be a violation of some rule and is also a safety factor. IMHO. John

That's why I'm not totally hot on completely defeating them. Like I said, I have nothing against DRLs and in fact I welcome them... if anything, I find other cars are more visible with them and it makes it easier for me to spot them on rainy days as I'm backing out of driveways, etc. And any anti-DRL fanatic who claims the DRLs blind oncoming drivers should consider seeking medical attention at an optician, since pretty much all DRLs operate at a fraction of regular power.

I was at the dealer this morning and mentioned the Drive In issue. Looks like I stumped them, and gave them enough of a good reason to pursue this with Ford itself. I'll follow up and post anything that may come out of it.

Worst case scenario, I'll wire up a small switch up near the top of the radiator that I can flip should I want to kill the DRLs. It probably won't be as 'nice' as running the wiring all the way inside the cabin for quick and easy access to the switch, but it'll be functional (hopefully). I've been studying the wiring diagram again this morning, and I'm fairly confident I understand the wiring relationship between the DRL module, the Lighting Control Module, and the Fog Lamp Deactivation relay (ie. the mechanism that kills your fogs when you flip the high beams on... I can probably defeat that too while I'm at it).

About the 'activation in Drive', it used to be simpler than that. The shop manual states the emergency brake switch should be the trigger for the DRL module, but the wiring diagram has no mention of this switch. I agree it would be so much easier to just turn on the DRLs in any gear outside of Park... isn't this how the new Windstars operate?

Re: Re: Day Time Running Lights

the Fog Lamp Deactivation relay (ie. the mechanism that kills your fogs when you flip the high beams on...
    Fog Lamp Deactivation relay? Is this peculiar to cars from the Canada...?
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

TripleTransAm Guest

Re: Re: Re: Day Time Running Lights

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    Fog Lamp Deactivation relay? Is this peculiar to cars from the Canada...?

I didn't think so... don't your fog lamps go off when you flick on the highbeams?

ie. low beams + foglamps = ok
    high beams = foglamps go off.

I thought this was universal across North America.

what if i'm not in north america????

oh wait yes i am

never mind
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Many places it's illegal to run fog lamps with high beams on. Oregon hhas some strict regulations for Fog lamp use.
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

yorks Guest

Re: Re: Day Time Running Lights

I agree it would be so much easier to just turn on the DRLs in any gear outside of Park... isn't this how the new Windstars operate?
    Thats how my 2002 Lincoln LS was and also how my wifes 2002 Escape is now. If in Park and/or Parking brake set...DRLs off.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information