Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carfixer's alignment specs - are they a mod?

Carfixer's alignment specs - are they a mod?

If so, I've done one more aftermarket thing to my car. Not a very exciting total I'm afraid.

I took my car in today and had two new front tires put on (from TireRack) and had the alignment done using Carfixer's specs. The alignment guy wasn't too excited about me bringing in my own specs, but he did it anyway. "I'll do it, but I'm not gonna guarantee it. It's gonna wear out the edges of the tires." Damn dude, look at the tires I've got on the car first. Actually, my outside edges were showing thread (not tread), but that was from last summer at Texas Motor Speedway. Thanks again Romo, if you're still around - that was a hell of a day!!!

Bottom line is: I got the car back, and he must've used Carfixer's specs, because it drives pretty differently now. They gave me a nice little printout of the "after" specs. If I can figure out how to scan it and get it on the website, I'll do that soon. The car has always been great at going around the curves, but in a straight line, even before the tires were worn all to hell, it was really nervous, or twitchy. Now, its much more calm, it still tracks straight, but the steering doesn't try nearly as hard to center itself as it did. The steering is a little lighter, I guess due to the decreased toe.

I really can't see how it can keep from improving tire wear and gas mileage. I think if I were going back to the track, I'd want the toe set as it was from the factory. For every day driving, I think this is a much better setup. Thanks, Claude!

If those alignment specs are a mod.....then consider me modded!!!!
    I heard it adds .001 horsepower
    2003 300a Black (115k miles and counting!)
    #403 of 7839
    -----------------
    Also in the garage...
    64 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
    65 Rambler American
    85 Thunderbird Turbocoupe

Just right on the money from a real top notch guy!
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

I would say that - NO - I do not conside this a mod. Carfixer's Specs are within the factory specs according to my local NTB. They also cover it under warranty because of this.

His Specs are just more refined that the HUGE margin from the Factory.

JMHO

KillJoy

Quote Originally Posted by KillJoy
    I would say that - NO - I do not conside this a mod. Carfixer's Specs are within the factory specs according to my local NTB. They also cover it under warranty because of this.

His Specs are just more refined that the HUGE margin from the Factory.

JMHO

KillJoy
    Agreed, my friend.

Kenny Brown, (thus, me via the #1x) was using these specs back in '03 when I took over #1x ownership. The factory tires and alignment held for 16K, but with severe wear. Kenny wrote an alignment spec for autocross racing which improves handling for that, but it's also very hard on tires. He also included a set of his specs based on OEM specs known at the time. They are virtually identical to the "Carfixer-Fix" and well within the factory recommendations.

Back then, wasn't much written down anywhere, when the Marauder was still rather rare in books, spec sheets, equipment, replacement parts and so on. Hell, we couldn't even find an oil filter. A lot is all better now.

IMHO, calling these specs the "CarFixer-Fix" is fine with me, as long as the word gets around.

BTW...No, it's not a "mod", just the right way to get things done.

Doned by the master himself: Carfixer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Smokie
    12.79 @ 107 mph.
    60' 1.851 Street tires & Stock wheels.
    TIMESLIPS
    Performance Mods: Base Trilogy Kit, Exhaust, PHP Airbox.
    Visit my Garage
    Florida "The Supercharged State"

Mad4Macs Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjones
    If so, I've done one more aftermarket thing to my car. Not a very exciting total I'm afraid.
    You might not think it's exciting now, but call us back in 15 thousand miles and you'll be jumping up and down!

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Agreed, my friend.

Kenny Brown, (thus, me via the #1x) was using these specs back in '03 when I took over #1x ownership. The factory tires and alignment held for 16K, but with severe wear. Kenny wrote an alignment spec for autocross racing which improves handling for that, but it's also very hard on tires. He also included a set of his specs based on OEM specs known at the time. They are virtually identical to the "Carfixer-Fix" and well within the factory recommendations.

Back then, wasn't much written down anywhere, when the Marauder was still rather rare in books, spec sheets, equipment, replacement parts and so on. Hell, we couldn't even find an oil filter. A lot is all better now.

IMHO, calling these specs the "CarFixer-Fix" is fine with me, as long as the word gets around.

BTW...No, it's not a "mod", just the right way to get things done.
    Really? It Is?

WHEW! At least now I'll be able to sleep tonight.

Gotta call Claude and tell him the good news...
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tallboy
    Really? It Is?

WHEW! And I'll sleep better knowing you are placing a phone call.

Mike.

Is it really that hard to stomach that perhaps two or three automotively gifted individuals may have simultaneously, unbenounced to each other, thought to themselves one sunny afternoon..."gee, these alignment numbers could be better..."

Uhh Naw.

I thank Claude for getting this info out to the masses, including myself.
    I refer to the alignment spec as "Claude's spec as well".
    Should I defend him because someone said it was done before?

Uhh yeah.
    2017 Niro

Really? It Is?

Now you're just being yourself Chuck, fun guy that you are.

The truth is in the history, custom alignment specs for the Marauder first originated in 2002, when Kenny Brown built the #1x car. He also provided several alignment options for different types of competion driving. This is the truth, and Claude had nothing to do with creating these specs.

Tis sad this truth upsets you, but it's also true that neither Claude nor you were Marauder owners back then, nor members here. The fact that Claude came up with more specs for the Marauder is a good thing, especially at a time when problems of early tire wear were coming to the surface, and the 411 was badly needed by a membership that was growing larger everyday.

Bravo on getting that word out, but Claude wasn't the first to write specs for the Marauder. Knowing him to be the gentleman he is, I honestly do not believe he would make such a claim.

Quote Originally Posted by SergntMac
    Now you're just being yourself Chuck, fun guy that you are.

The truth is in the history, custom alignment specs for the Marauder first originated in 2002, when Kenny Brown built the #1x car. He also provided several alignment options for different types of competion driving. This is the truth, and Claude had nothing to do with creating these specs.

Tis sad this truth upsets you, but it's also true that neither Claude nor you were Marauder owners back then, nor members here. The fact that Claude came up with more specs for the Marauder is a good thing, especially at a time when problems of early tire wear were coming to the surface, and the 411 was badly needed by a membership that was growing larger everyday.

Bravo on getting that word out, but Claude wasn't the first to write specs for the Marauder. Knowing him to be the gentleman he is, I honestly do not believe he would make such a claim.
    Being myself? Fun guy? At least one of those is open for debate.

Upset? Hardly. I just got a kick of your post saying it was OK with you to refer to the spec's as Carfixer's. As late as I was getting to the MM.NET party, I'd never heard them referred to as anything else, and I thank you for setting the record straight. I'm well aware of the groundgreaking status you and your car hold, and I've never tried to dim the light that shines on either.
    2003 Marauder 300A
    Trilogy Supercharger Serial #0054
    Installed by Carfixer 10/16/2004

Tallboy's Garage

Being myself? Fun guy? At least one of those is open for debate.

Upset? Hardly. I just got a kick of your post saying it was OK with you to refer to the spec's as Carfixer's. As late as I was getting to the MM.NET party, I'd never heard them referred to as anything else, and I thank you for setting the record straight. I'm well aware of the groundgreaking status you and your car hold, and I've never tried to dim the light that shines on either.
    It's all good, Chuck, believe me. It's good as long as you and others here understand that I didn't have anything to do with the #1x creation, and I am not claiming any honors for myself. I just bought the car when it was retired by Kenny, it's his creation and development.

I will take credit for changes Zack and I have made to this car, and for other stuff Marauder related, i.e. the Z&M control arms. But, the #1x and it's history among Marauders, is the property of Kenny Brown and Bill Karrow, the man who jump started it all in June of '02.

Peace, my friend.

groundgreaking

Is groundgreaking an illegal act in any of the 48 contiguous states???

I didn't "invent" alignment specs. When asked, I let people know what I set my car to. That's it.
    Honestly, any experienced alignment tech should be able to look tire wear and align accordingly.
    Current:
    2004 SB

Sold:
    17th of 3213 2004 Marauders
    9th DTR of 982
    and best of all,
    71st Trilogy

2003 TR Mach 1
    2012 RR BOSS 302
    2014 RR GT500
    2003 AB Mach 1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast