Thread: Brake pad upgrade for stock calipers

Brake pad upgrade for stock calipers

Scott,

I know you normally do full brake kits, but do you have a recommendation for a brake upgrade for the stock calipers and rotors to help in the interim until my car is no longer a daily driver and I can do the full upgrade since it won't fit behind the 16" winter wheels?

I know SS braided brake lines would help, but what about a pad upgrade? If there a Hawk or other brand pad you would recommend to change to that would work with the stock caliper and rotors?
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

(Todd)

No I really don't have a lot of thought to offer on stock replacements. I don't get into that area simply due to the mass marketing of low cost, no profit, replacements often found on ebay and the like.

You can do hoses, pads and some replacement rotors (with or w/o various levels of modification- slots, holes, dimples, both, etc. etc) and have about all you'll get with the stock brakes. Hawk HPS has generally been regarded as a pretty good starting point for pads but as noted above; some do not care for that compound. Seeing as I don't sell this type of pad you may find alternate from other suppliers.

Fitting ss hoses (if you can find some) is great for pedal feel but will not improve true braking performance. Alternate rotors can look nice but again; if stock size will not alter the braking performance. Higher end replacements of two piece deisgn can shed weight and aide in high speed cooling if you see a lt of open track day use. For daily use it's hard to justify an estimated $600+ but they do have a place in the market.

Sorry I can't be of any greater help to you.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

That fine. I appreciate the input. I would not look at new rotors, just wondering if I can get a little better stopping out of the stock setup with pads and brake lines, especially if the brake lines could be re-used on the upgrade when I do that. I do plan on your Plus 1 upgrade (and rears, too, at some point) once the car is out of daily driver duties.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

I often call this a "brake enhancement" package as you max out the function of the stock system. Yes pads, hoses and perhaps some slotted rotors will do all you can do with stock size parts.

*Note that the fit of ss hoses to stock calipers will NOT allow for use later on a BBK as the fittings on the caliper are not the same.
    TCE

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE
    *Note that the fit of ss hoses to stock calipers will NOT allow for use later on a BBK as the fittings on the caliper are not the same.
    Todd,

This is very good to know. Mine as well just save my money and do it right the first time with the whole kit.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Eric, good question, and of course Todd informative answers.
    I had a SCCA instructor tell me to stick with stock brakes, but replace pads often and rotors when necessary to keep costs down.
    Any comments?
    Of course we are talking road track...
    ~Jim

2004 Mercury Marauder SB

His comments are valid in their own right. It would get the job done to a certain level and keep costs reasonable.

What he is overlooking is the increase in mass, cooling properties, pad selection, weight loss, caliper responsiveness and in general; an elevated operating level the BBK brings to the table.

You can work stock parts to 95-99% of their capacity and do ok, but why not consider working beefier parts to only 80% capacity for the same result?
    TCE

Quote Originally Posted by Todd TCE
    His comments are valid in their own right. It would get the job done to a certain level and keep costs reasonable.

What he is overlooking is the increase in mass, cooling properties, pad selection, weight loss, caliper responsiveness and in general; an elevated operating level the BBK brings to the table.

You can work stock parts to 95-99% of their capacity and do ok, but why not consider working beefier parts to only 80% capacity for the same result?
    I am trying to remember, is the BBK lighter than the stock part = less rotating mass for better stopping and handling?
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Overall weight is down. The rotor mass is at a larger radius so there is some gain in inertia but minimal. Most weight savings is at the rotor hat and the caliper body. Not sure what the total difference is but I'd guess about 6-8lbs per corner.
    TCE

I had Hawk HPS pads installed a few months ago (oems were shot) with all else remaining stock. Different feel than stock brakes. When braking hard, definite improvement in stopping power.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Thread Information