Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Attention JLT Owners!!

Arrow Attention JLT Owners!!

I will start off by saying after presenting an issue regarding my JLT intake to Jay, he was very receptive, and quickly sent a replacement tube that arrived today via UPS at no charge!

The replacement tube is color-keyed DTR as the original tube, and looks awesome!

The issue was discovered this past weekend when mercman and I paid the Chicago boys and girls a surprise visit during their get together off of Route 66.

The tube end that is clamped to the elbow, that connects to the throttle body appeared to be distorted (sunk in).

I had to look closely as it was not very obvious at first.

Tuesday afternoon, I started uninstalling the intake to get a better look at the extent of the distortion.

Once the tube was separated from the elbow, it was apparent that heat had effected the shape of the tube, and was collapsing in on itself.

I am not sure if this has been posted on the board or not, but wanted to share this with the owners of JLT's intake as a potential issue down the road.

The intake has been on my MM for about a year and a half, and is a part time driver.

Inside of the original tube is white in color while the replacement tube on the inside is black in color. Not sure if this is an identifier or not, but thought I would add that difference as I am sure Jay can clear this up for us?

Thanks again Jay for your quick response and shipment of the new tube.

Mike.

Thanks for the post, I went out a few minutes ago and inspected my tube, the one from JLT, and it's good. the RAI tuble is also white inside but the exterior color is black. No evidence of blistering or deformation.

I have thermometers installed in the engine bay on the filter cone and they read as much as 140 degrees when the outside ambient temp is 108 degrees. Mine is a daily driver so the car is in the heat of the day.

I've had my kit for nearly two years.

I'm glad this is posted in our Garage, Mike, and not a vendor's forum.

Yes.

I have had the JLT intake kit on my #1x Marauder and it likewise collapsed in use. It collapsed much more severe than your pics show, I almost lost my new SCT BA2800 MAF from plastic "welding" to the JLT kit. I let Logan know about the problem before I moved on to other mods.

One of the main components of the JLT kit is standard PVC pipe which has two "heat" ranges. One for standard plumbing, another for hot water/high steam use. Therefore, this pipe comes in two flavors, where one endures heat better than the other, and the other "melts" and deforms while in service on our Marauders.

Y'all with JLT kits need to keep an eye on this area of concern. Underhood temps and close proximity to actual engine compartment temps have something to add to it's long-term durability.

O ****. Mine has looked like this for a while. I figured it was normal , Thanks for the heads up.

PVC isn't known for its ability to withstand hot temps for an extended amount of time.

I know that my tube is black on the inside but I will have to look at it to see if it is deformed. Its sitting in my closet right now as I took it off to take the car in for its last check up which will be in a couple of weeks.
    Last edited by SID210SA; 09-08-2006 at 08:35 AM.
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

Million Dollar Question

or at least the 140 dollar question. Since Jay replaced yours Mike, is he gonna do it for everyone who has this type of "defect"(and I'm using that loosely)?
    '04 MARAUDER
    Born on 4/20/04 -- Foster Care on 5/11/04 -- Adopted on 01/27/05
    Heated Seats 6 Disc CD Changer Moonroof
    JLT CAI--Silverstars Heads/Fogs--SCT-9100
    SB IX - SB X - SB XIII - SB XIV - SB XL - SB XLIII
    Trilogy S/C In Due Time

I think you were supposed to install 120 degree t-stats with this.
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

I work with PVC all day long and 150 degree water coming from the water heater.
    PVC will not last 1 day at that temperature.
    The only remedy to all this is to barely tighten the hose clamp, but the bottom line is a metal or formed plastic tube should be used under the hood.

Quote Originally Posted by MM2004
    Inside of the original tube is white in color while the replacement tube on the inside is black in color. Not sure if this is an identifier or not, but thought I would add that difference as I am sure Jay can clear this up for us?

Mike.

Black in color probably means that it is CPVC, an upgraded PVC that can withstand very high temps, but it is ridiculously expensive.
    The kits should come like this to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack
    Black in color probably means that it is CPVC, an upgraded PVC that can withstand very high temps, but it is ridiculously expensive.
    Might it not be ABS DWV pipe? Not very expensive, but still pretty heat resistant.
    Cheers,
    Jeff Cook

'03 Marauder 300B, Dark Blue Pearl, Dark Charcoal/Flint interior, Badgeless front and rear, 4.10s and Lidio Tune

Deleted negative comments....
    Built: 3/16/2004
    Number 9,879 of 11,052 for Total Production
    Number 2,040 of 3,213 for 2004 Model Year
    Number 663 of 980 Dark Toreador Red Produced
    Dark Charcoal Interior - CD Changer - Heated Seats - Trunk Oganizer - Moonroof - Rear Deck Spoiler
    Trilogy S/C kit #224 installed August 2010
    Detroit Tru-Trac 31 spline with 4.10 gearset
    Must - Go - Faster !

Oh well ...

That was a short lived love affair.

I never knew you could get the painted tube seperately & mate it to the OEM airbox till just a couple of days ago.

After seeing a pic of STLR's DTR with the painted tube & OEM airbox setup ... I was all set to do that on mine.

Click

But it looks like it's best to leave well enough alone & leave the Metco carbon fiber one on there.

If it ain't broke .... don't fix it.

Good timing on this thread ...

Saved me a few buck$.

It was time for a new signature .....

Here it is .....

X

SargetMac,
    Let's get the whole story out in the open before you try to 1 side me AGAIN.

You ordered a JLT from the web site for your VORTECH SUPERCHARGED Marauder.
    Did you see a kit for this car????

No, why? because we DO NOT MAKE ONE FOR IT.
    You forced compressed hot air through a pipe not meant for it and it warped. No kidding...
    Then you tried to have the site owner kick me off the forum because of it. Because you took it upon your self to put our kit in a hot situation. This is not our issue.
    But then you feel the need to come here and SVTPerformance and try to make me look bad without all the info.
    When I PM'd and emailed you about this you refused to respond.
    If you don't see your application on the web site you should call.

You see folks, there's 2 sides to every story. Let's get all the facts on the table before we bash a supporting vendor, shall we Mac.

Now for the issue at hand.
    As the thread starter stated I stand behind my product 100%. Early models were made with a lower heat range PVC and we saw a problem in a couple kits and fixed it. as you can see not all had it, it was hit and miss, but we still upgraded the kit with no added cost to the customer.
    We now use a much higher heat resistant materail with NO issues of this kind.
    To answer the $140 question, By all means, if you have a early model that is warping, send me a pic and I'll get you a replacement pipe ASAP. I'm not going anywhere and stand behind my product. Everybody who has every spoke to me can atest to that.

If anyone has any questions or issues, please feel free to call or email me ASAP.

Thanks
    Jay
    2013 Mustang GT 5.0
    Gotta Have It Green
    Blown and bad 725 RWHP

JLT Performance Marauder Intakes

JLT Crown Vic Intakes SHIPPING only $129! NO tuning needed!

Marauder parts:
    JLT RAI intakes
    Drive shaft loops
    SCT X-3
    Metco control arms
    Call or E-mail me for your needs!
    Jay Tucker @ 757 335 1940 or Jay@JLTtruecoldair.com

Quote Originally Posted by the_pack_rat View Post
    But it looks like it's best to leave well enough alone & leave the Metco carbon fiber one on there. If it ain't broke .... don't fix it. Saved me a few buck$.
    No, you saved yourself more than just a few bucks, you held on to some important power.

The Metco bellows flows better than the JLT. It's a "one off" copy of the bellows Kenny Brown designed for the Marauder S, and much less expensive than the genuine article. Nonetheless, if you own a Metco carbon fiber bellows, and add the PHP kit, you'll have the best "bang for the buck" possible for a N/A Marauder.

You almost took a step back...
    Last edited by SergntMac; 09-11-2006 at 03:19 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information