Thread: X-tra keys? how many do you have?

X-tra keys? how many do you have?

Has anyone had extra P.a.t.s (prevent against theft system)Keys cut and programed in case of being lost?

If you have two working (programed) keys you can program others(up to eight?) by a coding sequence from the ignition cylinder.
    If you only have one key and want another, it's a trip to the dealer and quite expensive.
    Does anyone know if Ford has changed the security chip enclosed in the key from year to year?
    another words, will other style(years) keys work, if reprogramed?
    2004 Trilogy #93P 12.2@113 Built and stalled

You have a PM on this subject.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

PATS (passive anti-theft system) keys are actually not used in the Marauder. The Marauder uses a Sentry key and an antenna ring that MUST detect the key at the cylinder for the fuel system to be allowed to work. I bypassed this system on mine and have three keys that are NOT programmed. I buy them from an ebay seller (street keys) and have them cut to fit my car. Mine will start on basic hardware-store keys but the alarm I have will prevent my car from EVER being stolen. I keep a spare key at work in my toolbox and another somewhere in the car. I can always get in with the keypad entry. Disabling the Sentry system makes it easy for a locksmith to make keys in the event that I do not have them at all without charging me $300.00 for the service call.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Thanks for the correction!
    The Sentry system will not allow a reprogram unless the key being trained is in the lock cylinder?
    Quote Originally Posted by silver2004Marauder View Post
    PATS (passive anti-theft system) keys are actually not used in the Marauder. The Marauder uses a Sentry key and an antenna ring that MUST detect the key at the cylinder for the fuel system to be allowed to work. I bypassed this system on mine and have three keys that are NOT programmed. I buy them from an ebay seller (street keys) and have them cut to fit my car. Mine will start on basic hardware-store keys but the alarm I have will prevent my car from EVER being stolen. I keep a spare key at work in my toolbox and another somewhere in the car. I can always get in with the keypad entry. Disabling the Sentry system makes it easy for a locksmith to make keys in the event that I do not have them at all without charging me $300.00 for the service call.

Just have the three that came with the Marauder.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

When I bought mine - it only came with ONE original key. I used that one to kill the Sentry system. But... to program new keys, you must have both originals. Turn the ignition ON with key #1, wait for the theft light to go out, repeat with key #2 and then start using the new keys to be programmed in the same ON/ theft light goes off procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradley G View Post
    Thanks for the correction!
    The Sentry system will not allow a reprogram unless the key being trained is in the lock cylinder?
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Mine came with two keys, two keyless pads, and a "valet" key

I have a total of 5 keys
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by silver2004Marauder View Post
    According to both the 2003 and 2004 Mercury Marauder Owner's Manual(s), the 'SecuriLock' Passive Anti-Theft system is used, which debuted in 1998 for panthers. (1996 for select models)

In addition, here is the info directly from the FSM 2003 Marauder volume:
    <table width="95%"> <tbody> <tr> <td>SECTION 419-01: Anti-Theft
    </td> <td align="right"> 2003 Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Marauder Workshop Manual
    </td></tr></tbody></table> DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
    Principles of Operation
    The passive anti-theft system (PATS) uses a specially encoded ignition key. Each encoded ignition key contains a permanently installed electronic device called a transponder. Each transponder contains a unique electronic identification code out of over 18 billion, billion combinations.
    The passive anti-theft system (PATS), also known as SecuriLock &#174;, uses radio frequency identification technology to deter a drive-away theft. This system is known as SecuriLock&#174; in North America, Safeguard&#174; in the U.K., and PATS in continental Europe. Passive means that it does not require any activity from the user.
    The SecuriLock&#174; System (PATS) is not compatible with NON-FORD remote start systems, which allow the vehicle to be started from outside the vehicle. These systems may reduce the vehicle security level, and also may cause no-start issues. If equipped, the remote start system must be removed before investigation of PATS-related, no-start issues.
    Each encoded ignition key must be programmed into the vehicle's powertrain control module (PCM) before it can be used to start the engine. The correct ignition key is a different design than prior model years. Consult the Rotunda Key Ordering Guide for the correct part number. There are special diagnostic repair procedures described in this section that must be carried out if a new encoded ignition key is necessary.
    This system contains a new feature named Unlimited Key Mode. This feature allows a customer to program more than eight keys to the vehicle if they request it. Each vehicle in Unlimited Key Mode is set up with a special unlimited transponder security key. This allows all the customer vehicles to share the same keys, but no other keys from outside can be used to operate the vehicles. For an individual customer, any randomly selected security key is acceptable. Refer to Unlimited Key Mode Programming in Key Programming Switch State Control in this section.
    The PATS transceiver module communicates with the encoded ignition key. The module is located behind the steering column shroud and contains an antenna connected to a small electronics module. During each vehicle start sequence, the transceiver module reads the encoded ignition key identification code and sends data to the PCM.
    The control functions are contained in the PCM. This module carries out all of the PATS functions, such as receiving the identification code from the encoded ignition key and controlling the engine enable. The PCM initiates the key interrogation sequence when the vehicle ignition switch is turned to RUN or START.
    All elements of the PATS must be functional before the engine is allowed to start. If any of the components are not working correctly, the vehicle will not start.
    PATS uses a visual theft indicator. The indicator will prove out for three seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START under normal operation. If there is a PATS concern, this indicator will either flash rapidly or glow steadily when the ignition switch is turned to RUN or START. The PATS system also flashes the theft indicator every two seconds at ignition OFF to act as a visual deterrent.
    PATS will be activated and will disable the vehicle from starting if there is:
    • an incorrectly encoded ignition key.
    • a damaged encoded ignition key.
    • an unprogrammed key
    • a non-encoded key (key has no electronics).
    • damaged wiring.
    • a damaged transceiver.
    • a damaged PCM.
    Bradley, as the FSM states there was a design change for the key starting in 2003. So look for a 2003+ Panther key, other models may work, though. Notice the 'Unlimited Key' option, the dealer can/has to perform this for you if you desire over 8 keys for some odd reason

Here is the programming procedure if you already have two programmed keys:

Key Programming Using Two Programmed Keys

NOTE: This procedure only works if two or more programmed ignition keys are available, and it is desired to program additional key(s). If two keys are not available, follow the procedure in Key Programming Using Diagnostic Equipment in this section.
    NOTE: PID SPARE_ KY must be enabled for this procedure to operate. If this PID is not enabled, follow the security access procedure in Anti-Theft Security Access in this section and select SPARE KEY PROGRAMMING SWITCH: ENABLED.
    NOTE: If the programming procedure is successful, the new key(s) will start the vehicle and the THEFT INDICATOR will illuminate for approximately three seconds and then it will turn off (prove-out).
    NOTE: If the programming procedure is not successful, the new key(s) will not start the vehicle and the THEFT INDICATOR will flash. If the programming procedure was not successful leave the ignition switch in the RUN position for at least 30 seconds then repeat the key programming procedure from Step 1. If the failure repeats, refer to Diagnosis and Testing in this section to review DTCs and carry out pinpoint tests as necessary.
    NOTE: A maximum of eight ignition keys can be programmed to a passive anti-theft system (PATS) equipped vehicle. If more are needed, refer to Unlimited Key Mode in Key Programming.
    NOTE: If the steps are not carried out as described, the programming procedure will end.
    NOTE: Ignition keys must have correct mechanical key cut for the vehicle and must be the correct PATS key part number for this model year.
    NOTE: 2002 model year and earlier are not equivalent keys.
    NOTE: If the vehicle is in unlimited key mode, this spare programming procedure still functions. Any two keys that can start the vehicle may be used to program-in an additional unlimited key.
    1. Insert the first programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (maintain the ignition switch in RUN for 3 seconds but no more than 10 seconds).
    2. Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the first key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    3. Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition switch to OFF, insert the second programmed ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (maintain the ignition switch in RUN for 3 seconds but no more than 10 seconds).
    4. Turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove the second key from the ignition lock cylinder.
    5. Within 20 seconds of turning the ignition lock cylinder to OFF, insert the unprogrammed ignition key (new key) into the ignition lock cylinder and turn the ignition switch from OFF to RUN (attempt to start the vehicle).
    6. If it is desired to program additional key(s), repeat the key programming procedure from Step 1.
    If you DO NOT have 2 programmed keys available, you will need to go to the dealer as a WDS and NGS tester are needed to reprogram the PATS/PCM system.
    Last edited by Drock96Marquis; 09-30-2006 at 10:24 PM.
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Drock,
    You never cease to amaze me, with your wealth of soild information!
    Thanks.
    Now I got to read this eighteen times, to get it!

Let me know if you need anything else
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Even I stand corrected occasionally. I always use info provided from the directechs.com technical information website that I have access to. The Sentry key is a general term for antenna-based ignitions. Chrysler vehicles that have grey-headed keys use the same principle as ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drock96Marquis View Post
    According to both the 2003 and 2004 Mercury Marauder Owner's Manual(s), the 'SecuriLock' Passive Anti-Theft system is used, which debuted in 1998 for panthers. (1996 for select models)

In addition, here is the info directly from the FSM 2003 Marauder volume:

Bradley, as the FSM states there was a design change for the key starting in 2003. So look for a 2003+ Panther key, other models may work, though. Notice the 'Unlimited Key' option, the dealer can/has to perform this for you if you desire over 8 keys for some odd reason

Here is the programming procedure if you already have two programmed keys:

If you DO NOT have 2 programmed keys available, you will need to go to the dealer as a WDS and NGS tester are needed to reprogram the PATS/PCM system.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

I have four keys. There apparently are two different types of PATS keys for my car. I had an installer put in a remote start system. He ran into problems with the version he had and had it exchanged.
    2001 Grand Marquis w/HPP
    BC4E Dead Pedal - Ford Billet Fuel Door - Mufflex custom 2.5" Manifold-back exhaust w/X-Pipe - Meg's 4" Marauder Tips - Metco Rear Control Arms & Watts Link - Reinhart Fuel Filter Mod - Quickor Swaybars - PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Dyno Pro Panther Door Sills - BF Goodrich KDW-2 245/40/19 Fronts & 285/35/19 Rears - H&R Spacers 30mm & 35MM - HP Design EVO 19x8.5 & 19x9.5 Wheels - Zexel Torsen T2-R Differential - Ford 3.73 Gears - DG Motorsports Radiator Cover - PSP tuned Excal 2 - Ford Silicone Coolant Hoses - QA1 Dual Adjustable Shocks - Car Motorsports Panther Logo UH & TL Liners - TA Performance Differential Cover - Magnaflow Cats & Mufflers - Accufab 75mm Plenum & Throttle Body - 1" Throttle Body & 1/2" Intake Spacers - AP Racing 6 Piston/13.5" Rotors Front Brake Kit - 4" CAI - Typhoon Intake Manifold - EMP Stewart Water Pump
    SuperMotors Page
    CJMF
    MotorSports North East
    15.195 @ 89.79 - 2.207 60' - 4458 lbs.

Thread Information