Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My stereo system...

My stereo system...

Hey all,
    This is going to be long, please bear with me...

I thought I'd post some pics of my stereo system. I know the majority of the community is into making their Marauders faster, but I like the "overall" package, and for me that includes creature comforts like the audio system.

Car audio has been a hobby of mine for over 10 years now, and I'm talking accurate reproduction of music. I used to compete in IASCA, which is the International Autosound Competition Association, and was a two time IASCA World finalist. What it is is a car show to judge your stereo based on the accuracy and musicality of the system. A lot of people have the misconception that all car stereo's good for is rattling windows and annoying other drivers. There's a quite a few people that enjoy a good sounding system, one that sounds like a home audiophile system. I'm one of those people. My stereo is built to sound like a live concert. The dash is the stage, and it should sound like the performers and instruments are in their correct places on that stage.

I'm also one of those people that enjoy a "stealth" system. That means the audio system must compliment or enhance the factory look of the vehicle's interior. Killjoy's trunk panel is one example of enhancing the vehicle's stock look. I'd like to think my stereo enhances the stock look as well. On to the pics:

Starting in the front, I have an in-dash DVD player, hidden by a false face when not in use.

The front stage consists of a pair of 6.5" speakers in the kick panels, and a pair of HLCDs (horn loaded compression drivers) mounted underneath the dash. The kicks were built using fiberglass, MDF and covered in factory matching carpet with matching grilles. The grilles for the HLCDs are also covered in matching grille cloth.

Closeup of driver's side:

Passenger side:

Now you're probably wondering, doesn't it sound like it's coming from the floor? The human ear can be tricked into thinking the sound is coming from above, even though the speakers are down low. In my car, it sounds like the speakers are on top of the dash.

Continued next post....
    -Mike

"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown

'03 Black Canadian 300A -Born 11/14/02, Adopted 04/05/05
    #6018 of 11,052

Trilogy #196 - Self-installed
    Stuff done to it. See here.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully008 View Post
    I have an in-dash DVD player, hidden by a false face when not in use.

Thats really cool , i like thatWhere can 1 get please?

Continued...

The trunk is equally finished to look stock. Here is the rear shelf:

And two overall shots of the trunk:

Now you're probably thinking, where are the amps and subs??? Well, they're on the rear shelf. The subs are 2-10"s running infinite baffle, which means the entire trunk is the enclosure. The amps are on a motorized amp rack, which extends out and tilts in the back to show the amps. They are highlighted with blue LEDs. You can see where I used one of my Godshead badges from CAR Motorsports.

Here are some pics:

If you're wondering where my spare is, I built a false floor to cover the spare, which is now in the deep well. I still have the majority of my trunk for stuff.

I hope some of you enjoyed the pics. I've put a lot of hard work into my car, and in case anyone is wondering, yes it's protected. But as you can see, I try and make it look as factory as possible.
    -Mike

"A common mistake people make when designing something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." - Unknown

#6018 of 11,052

Quote Originally Posted by MarauderMark View Post
    Thats really cool , i like thatWhere can 1 get please?
    Hey Mark,

If you're asking about the false cover, I just found a used radio from the salvage yard, ripped the guts out of it and glued the buttons back on. The backside is covered with carpet so I don't scratch the screen.
    -Mike

#6018 of 11,052

That has got to be the BEST looking MM trunk I have EVER seen!!

2 Thumbs UP!

KillJoy

Quote Originally Posted by KillJoy View Post
    That has got to be the BEST looking MM trunk I have EVER seen!!

2 Thumbs UP!

KillJoy
    Thanks for the compliment, KillJoy! I have one more thing to do in there, then it'll be finished. BTW, I have a question for ya, I'll PM you for more details.
    -Mike

#6018 of 11,052

Truely A CLASS above the rest. I never would have considered upgrading the factory system because Of the appearance of non OEM head units. I really like the appearance that your unit projects. What would it cost to install a system like yours. Could you please break it down $$ wise...Thanks AL

Quote Originally Posted by LILALLEYKATT View Post
    Truely A CLASS above the rest. I never would have considered upgrading the factory system because Of the appearance of non OEM head units. I really like the appearance that your unit projects. What would it cost to install a system like yours. Could you please break it down $$ wise...Thanks AL
    AL,

Thank you for the compliment. If you're asking about only the headunit, I really don't know how much $$$ it would cost. I'm assuming ~$50-100 to install, including labour and materials. The unit itself is ~$1000US. There's a couple of members that are installers for a living, hopefully they'll chime in.

If you're asking about the full system...I worked on it in my spare time but I've got about 80 hours of work in there. A lot of blood, sweat, tears and swearing.
    -Mike

#6018 of 11,052

Whom makes the headunit and where can you get one....Crutchfield??? And has the ability to make speaker enclosures such as those in your front floorboard become highly specialized or are most local high end installers able to replicate something like what you have done in your front footwells....
    Last edited by LILALLEYKATT; 10-10-2006 at 06:21 PM. Reason: reworded question for clairity

Quote Originally Posted by LILALLEYKATT View Post
    Whom makes the headunit and where can you get one....Crutchfield??? And has the ability to make speaker enclosures such as those in your front floorboard become highly specialized or are most local high end installers able to replicate something like what you have done in your front footwells....

The headunit is a Kenwood DDX7015 from last year. You should be able to get it @ Crutchfield. I would look at the work of your local installers to determine if they can do it. Most can, but it's all in the tuning afterwards that will make or break the sound.
    -Mike

#6018 of 11,052

There is that word "Tuning" again. It took me a while to understand tuning as it applies to engine power production, I also understand chassis tuning but stereo tuning? Is it more that just selecting expensive products and putting them wherever there's room? What instruments would be used"

Your car and system looks, if I may say so, "factory". The install is very professional and you have evidently made informed choices in component selection.

I mean that as a compliment in the same way that one Amish man greets another "Ah, Amos, you look very plain today".

Pat

Sully008,

Really great install. I haven't touch the stock sound system yet but now your post show directions when you want it nicely made !

Really nice work on the install. I guess my only problem would be what to do with my big feet, since those speakers really invade that space and I'd be afraid of getting them dirty.

JR

2003 Black MM 300A
    Build date: 6/4/02
    Start date:11/16/02
    Adopted 10/22/04
    #507 of 7838
    *40% Tint
    2011 Pearlwhite Nissan Maxima

Very, very nice! Definitely Awesome.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Very nice set-up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast