Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carfixer Alignment Specs

Carfixer Alignment Specs

I am having new tires put on my car on Friday, and I want to do an alignment at the same time while it is there. I want to use Carfixer's alignment specs, but the reviews section of MM.net seems to be completely gone. When I click on the review link all I get is a blank page.

Does anyone know or have the specs on hand that they can post here or PM to me? Thanks in advance!!!
    2003 Black 300A MM. Stock.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited
    Vortech V2SQ-12 PSI, Crane HI-6R, Full custom exhaust, Custom SCT Tune-----310 AWHP, 340 AWTQ

1991 GMC Syclone-----Scary Fast

Who did that!! All fixed!

Thanks Bunny, thanks TAF.
    2003 Black 300A MM. Stock.

1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L Limited
    Vortech V2SQ-12 PSI, Crane HI-6R, Full custom exhaust, Custom SCT Tune-----310 AWHP, 340 AWTQ

1991 GMC Syclone-----Scary Fast

Courtesy of Carfixer

The inside edge wear of the front tires is caused by 2 things: negative camber and negative toe (toe out). Caster is not a tire wearing angle. The outside edge wear can be caused by excessive toe in and aggressive cornering.

Factory camber spec is -.5 degrees or- .75 degrees
    Factory toe spec is -.15 degrees or- .20 degrees
    (BTW, this info came from their website which is updated periodically and may differ from previously published material, such as cd's and paper manuals)

That means your alignment could have -1.25 degrees of camber and toe out of -.35 degrees and still be in the "green". This will wipe out the inside edges in <20K miles IMO.

All of the MM's I've aligned (about 10) had at least -1.0 degrees of camber and always toe out of -.10 degrees or more from the factory. That's why almost all MM's you see have excessive inside edge tire wear.

For best tire wear, here is what I use on all MM alignments:
    Camber: 0 to -.3 degrees.*
    Toe: Zero degrees.
    Caster: 5-6.5 degrees positive with .3 degree lead on the right side.

*Camber can affect cornering feel. The more negative camber you have, the better it will handle corners. Most drivers will never feel the difference, especially on the street.

alignment

I'm not sure that this realignment from factory spec is a good thing. It may relieve inner tire wear, but handling does not seem improved to me - steering seems so much more loose, and now the steering wheel vibration (started immediately after the alignment) is intolerable, even with new tires. Considering going back to the factory alignment. Obviously, the factory had their reasons for spec'ing the factory alignment, knowing that excessive inner tire wear would result, but this may just be the inherent shortfall of the CV/MM/GM platform as it was engineered.

Quote Originally Posted by grampaws View Post
    Courtesy of Carfixer

The inside edge wear of the front tires is caused by 2 things: negative camber and negative toe (toe out). Caster is not a tire wearing angle. The outside edge wear can be caused by excessive toe in and aggressive cornering.

Factory camber spec is -.5 degrees or- .75 degrees
    Factory toe spec is -.15 degrees or- .20 degrees
    (BTW, this info came from their website which is updated periodically and may differ from previously published material, such as cd's and paper manuals)

That means your alignment could have -1.25 degrees of camber and toe out of -.35 degrees and still be in the "green". This will wipe out the inside edges in <20K miles IMO.

All of the MM's I've aligned (about 10) had at least -1.0 degrees of camber and always toe out of -.10 degrees or more from the factory. That's why almost all MM's you see have excessive inside edge tire wear.

For best tire wear, here is what I use on all MM alignments:
    Camber: 0 to -.3 degrees.*
    Toe: Zero degrees.
    Caster: 5-6.5 degrees positive with .3 degree lead on the right side.

*Camber can affect cornering feel. The more negative camber you have, the better it will handle corners. Most drivers will never feel the difference, especially on the street.

Quote Originally Posted by hbarrett View Post
    I'm not sure that this realignment from factory spec is a good thing. It may relieve inner tire wear, but handling does not seem improved to me - steering seems so much more loose, and now the steering wheel vibration (started immediately after the alignment) is intolerable, even with new tires. Considering going back to the factory alignment. Obviously, the factory had their reasons for spec'ing the factory alignment, knowing that excessive inner tire wear would result, but this may just be the inherent shortfall of the CV/MM/GM platform as it was engineered.
    I have the Carfixer alighnment and do not have the same experiance. A vibration would be caused by a wheel out of balance. Check that first. My new front tires are wearing great! I have reputable shop in Edgewood, MD I would recommend. PM me if you want to have them check your balance.

BTW, I spotted you out and about the other day. You were N/B on 136 at 543. Funny thing is, I got my partner spotting MMs now - he saw you before I did! Thought that was funny.

11.98 @ 115 mph
    "Comfort, Class and Hair on Fire Performance."

I have the opposite experience. After Carfixer alignment, car was less 'twitchy' and much more well behaved. Also, 'rut' steer was reduced on the country roads I frequent. I have almost 25K on Nitto 555's (tread wear 300) on the front vs 13K on BFG KDWS (tread wear 400)!
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

Quote Originally Posted by DEFYANT View Post
    I have the Carfixer alighnment and do not have the same experiance. A vibration would be caused by a wheel out of balance. Check that first. My new front tires are wearing great! I have reputable shop in Edgewood, MD I would recommend. PM me if you want to have them check your balance.

BTW, I spotted you out and about the other day. You were N/B on 136 at 543. Funny thing is, I got my partner spotting MMs now - he saw you before I did! Thought that was funny.

I too had mine aligned with carfixers specs when I got my new fronts.....car road feel was awsome....rode like it was on rails....but now the rears are wearing pretty thin so her a** is all over the place....gonna squeez as many miles as I can out of the original rears....38,4xx now on them.....
    MM.NET Member #3943

11/24/04 -'04 Silver Birch , Moon Roof, charcoal Interior,
    12/25/05 - Lower grill Mod - Thanks DEFYANT, 12/29/05 - OEM Spoiler - blankenship aero
    01/06/06 - Vynal Shades - Executive Signs Ltd., 01/06/06 - Silver Stars - MM.net (thanks everyone)
    01/11/06 - Remote start alarm ( North Park Linc. Merc. ), 02/16/06 - Pro Gurard - Reinhart Automotive
    02/24/06 - JLT CAI/RAI - JLT Performance(Jay Tucker), 06/14/06 - Godshead logo locking valve caps (Wes)
    02/14/07 - XCAL2 tuned by Lidio

VEHICLES AND MILAGE :
    04 MARAUDER: 95,XXX (June 09) SOLD 1-28-14
    03 IMPALA: 126,XXX (June 09), Died Oct '11 143K
    01 SUBURBAN: 87,XXX (June 09) Traded in 9-22-12 123K
    07 SUBURBAN LT 4X4 84,XXX (Sept. '12)
    07 INFINITI G35 79,997 (Dec. '11) Her Ride!

alignment

Not the same experience for me. Doesn't feel like on rails at all, more like a loose floating CV/GM. The steering was much firmer when it had the factory alignment. If I can't slove this problem, I may return to the factory spec. At least it wont be shimmying so much, I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by SID210SA View Post
    I too had mine aligned with carfixers specs when I got my new fronts.....car road feel was awsome....rode like it was on rails....but now the rears are wearing pretty thin so her a** is all over the place....gonna squeez as many miles as I can out of the original rears....38,4xx now on them.....

I had the Carfixer setup done about 5 months ago and now the outside edge of my front tires are wearing a little bit. So I would take his specs as a base then modify them do your liking. Some shops will charge a flat "lifetime" fee and you can get as many alignments as you own the car. I have this on my Mustang and sometimes I'm in 2-3 times a year. I do drive fairly agressive so I'm thinking that might be the cause of the outer wear.

Matt H.
    (sold)2004' SB, 268rwhp/295tq
    1990 Mustang GT, Dart 363, Si-trim, T56, Holley Terminator X. 622rwhp/527tq
    2003 SVT Cobra, Posi Port 497rwhp/481tq. SCT Pro Racer Pack.
    2017 F-150, 5.0
    2013 SHO DIB Performance Pack

Here's the best review I can tell you. Carfixer did my alignment personally on Saturday. I had the inner tire wear problem but no pulling or drifting. Steering is now tight, accurate and I need to learn how to drive the car again - it made THAT kind of difference in my car! It feels like they shaved 3 feet off the wheelbase.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Carfixer's alignment is within factory specs!

Carfixer's alignment is within factory specs! Your problem is most likely your mechanic. If he test drove your car like he should have, he would have found your problem and fixed it before allowing you to take the car. Better check for loose lug nuts, to start with.

1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

I do my own wheel alignment and found that negative front camber does help a lot with cornering. The factory specs for the 98-02 Panthers for camber is -0.5* +/- 0.75* and I have mine set for about -3* each side (using a hub mounted bubble gauge). For caster, I maxed mine out while keeping it even. By maxed, I mean I maxed out the caster as much as possible w/o affecting the camber adjustment due to the design of the upper control arm. However I am running into a problem with the toe settings. I originally had my Vic set to toe-in and after about 2 years the outer edges of the tires are more worn than the inner edge. I plan to re-adjust the toe today and try Carfixer's suggestion of zero toe. BTW toe-in feels pretty stable on the highway but rufts in the road (caused by heavy vehicles on soft asphalt) will start shifting my steering, and the road grading also affects my steering.
    Last edited by metroplex; 11-06-2006 at 05:43 AM.

I have aligned at least 6 MM's w/ Carfixers specs and all had improvements in tire wear and handling. As previously stated, tire shimmy is a seperate issue but could be masked a little with alignment. Many times it was difficult to get the camber where you want it as some seem to run out of adjustment with the cam. This was usually solved with a well placed pry bar! I still recommend these specs. Customers averaged an additional 8-10k miles out of front tires (usually about 26k depending on driving habits).
    1965 FALCON WAGON
    1967 RANCHERO
    1968 MUSTANG GT FASTBACK
    2004 300B MARAUDER TRILOGY #127
    Retired 2003 300A MARAUDER
    NEW ADDITION! 1968 Shelby GT 350

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information