Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What car do you think of as our direct competition?

What car do you think of as our direct competition?

I just wondered what everyone has though our direct competitor. Some have mentioned the Impala but I think of that more as a Crown Vic matchup.
    I can see the whole FoMoCo relationship, but what about another GM: the Chrysler 300? I consider both a little more luxury and the release dates were much closer.
    ... besides, ever time I see a 300 I want to race.
    What do you think?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I think to have a direct competitor the 'competitor' has to have been manufactured in the same period. So to me neither the Impala nor the Chrysler 300 are 'direct' competitors.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by jawz101 View Post
    I just wondered what everyone has though our direct competitor. Some have mentioned the Impala but I think of that more as a Crown Vic matchup.
    I can see the whole FoMoCo relationship, but what about another GM: the Chrysler 300? I consider both a little more luxury and the release dates were much closer.
    ... besides, ever time I see a 300 I want to race.
    What do you think?
    well first it's not even a GM, I think you are just a little confused over all

11.90 @ 117.5mph on 93 octane
    324 shortblock, Novi 2000, Now with optional axle removing tires
    Igziabeher

I would have to go with the Caddilacs as our competition. Same cubic inches, same output, 32 Valves, Almost the same weight, just FWD vs RWD and the cost factor are the only differences.

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

Set up a survey asking everyone what they would have bought if the Marauder wasn't sold.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened300a View Post
    I would have to go with the Caddilacs as our competition. Same cubic inches, same output, 32 Valves, Almost the same weight, just FWD vs RWD and the cost factor are the only differences.
    I agree mostly, but really there is no direct MM competitor for its time. The FWD vs RWD is a major differentiator.
    In a time warp, it would be the mid 90's SS Impalas. Just like in their time, there was no direct competitor either. Even though I like my 95 GMLS HPP daily driver, its purpose and setup was not the same as the SS or the MM.
    Blue 2003 MM 300B
    #6671 of 7838 - #99 of 328 DPB
    Born 02/04/03 - Bought 10/31/03
    Light Flint Heated Seats
    35% Tint - McGards
    Trunk & Hood Liners
    Lidio Tune

Marauder stands alone!

Best road car ever! (to date )
    Last edited by Bigdogjim; 11-08-2006 at 09:10 PM.
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

Yeah.... I messed up on the GM-Chrysler association... that's what you get when you ask a coworker a quick question.

Another reason I associated us w/ Chrysler's 300 was that our car was one of the 1st throwbacks before a lot of other models started going retro.
    ... and at the time the 300's slight choptop made it seem like they were going a little retro too.

The new Impala to the CV line? Please, they'll get dusted by them as much as I hate to say it. Even the LX Sport would probably get toasted by one. I agree with Blue03 though, the '94-'96 Impala SS' would be the closest match to us.
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

I too would agree withthe Impala SS comparo. Similar size and all. Bigger motor on their side, but I'll take them all day long w/my Trilogy.
    No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

i consider the charger R/T and the new or old impala SS to be the comp, cause they are supposed to be the high output full sized sedan, actually i cut off an R/T with my blazer today, just some friendly compition !!

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by Raudermaster View Post
    The new Impala to the CV line? Please, they'll get dusted by them as much as I hate to say it. Even the LX Sport would probably get toasted by one. ............
    you are basing that on actual experience?
    Member Number 32

An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

A Cadillac is not a MM competitor, the MM is not in the same class.

When the Marauder was built, it had no direct competition, it was designed to pick up buyers still hooked on the 94-96 Impala SS. So I suppose that would have been it's biggest competitor, had there not of been an 8 year lapse between

The 300C could have also been a competitor, also a performance sedan bordering entry-level luxury.

I don't think an SRT-8 300 would have been a competitor, it is at a much higher performance level.

our car was one of the 1st throwbacks
    What is throwback about an MM? THe 6 or so gods head logos that adorn the car?
    Last edited by Drock96Marquis; 11-08-2006 at 11:20 PM.
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by jawz101 View Post
    ... and at the time the 300's slight choptop made it seem like they were going a little retro too.
    Except it's just a design trick. The top isn't low at all, the beltline is high. In fact the whole car is tall. Taller than ours.
    Next to a car like ours the body of the 300 and Charger tend to look 'fat' from the bottom of the windows down.
    Member Number 32

Talking History!

Quote Originally Posted by Drock96Marquis View Post
    What is throwback about an MM? THe 6 or so gods head logos that adorn the car?
    No it is a throwback to the golden age of muscle cars. Large rear wheel drive (family) sedans with a bigger engine etc. Early marauder were built on the models of the day. Just like in '03
    First year was '63, then '64 & '65. Returned in '69 & '70.
    33 years later....'03 & '04

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information