Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reducing "Startup Flare" With An IAC "Restrictor"!!

Reducing "Startup Flare" With An IAC "Restrictor"!!

I found this trick on another forum and decided to try it on my Marauder!!

It is a restrictor plate put in between the IAC and the intake manifold reducing the "Lean" airflow condition in the OEM setup!!

I used some .025" aluminum sheet and made the plate with a 9/32 hole to start with as outlined in the Mustang discussion.....See attached photo.

In my case it works fine and even when cold the initial startup goes to about 1600 RPM's and falls back to 1100 RPM's within a second....Idles there fine and after warmup the startup "Flare" is only about 1200 RPM's for half a second!!

Also, on deceleration it actually gives a bit more engine braking with more exhaust "Burble"....VERY NICE!!!

If you decide to do this be sure and start with a 9/32" hole and open it up a bit if you have idle issues?? It also pays to disconnect the negative battery connection to allow the EEC to "Re-learn" the new IAC capabilities!!

Marauderjack
    Last edited by Marauderjack; 04-25-2007 at 04:45 AM.
    No Marauder

... Dont restrictor plates reduce power , especially in the higher Rpms of our DOHC motors? Im confused about this thing where does it go and how does it limit the rev on startup

Quote Originally Posted by Marauderjack View Post

It is a restrictor plate put in between the IAC and the intake manifold reducing the "Lean" airflow condition in the OEM setup!!

I used some .025" aluminum sheet and made the plate with a 9/32 hole to start with as outlined in the Mustang discussion.....See attached photo.

In my case it works fine and even when cold the initial startup goes to about 1600 RPM's and falls back to 1100 RPM's within a second....Idles there fine and after warmup the startup "Flare" is only about 1200 RPM's for half a second!!

Also, on deceleration it actually gives a bit more engine braking with more exhaust "Burble"....VERY NICE!!!

If you decide to do this be sure and start with a 9/32" hole and open it up a bit if you have idle issues?? It also pays to disconnect the negative battery connection to allow the EEC to "Re-learn" the new IAC capabilities!!

Marauderjack
    Great, but you can adjust what you did in the software with numbers, not power tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Great, but you can adjust what you did in the software with numbers, not power tools.
    Yes, but a little tricky. The MM's intake has a lot of volume and this makes controlling start-up engine speed a little more difficult.

Mitch

LV....

The IAC ONLY works when the throttle butterflies are closed so.....No diminished power!!!

The rest of you guys.....I'll report back later after a few days with this "MOD"??!!

The Mustang guys have done it for over a year and like it.....as I do so far!!

I can take it out in 3 minutes.....but it has not stalled since it has been in....."Blower Stall" that Zack says is so common.....So far IT WORKS??

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I started it this AM and tach jumped to about 1700 RPM's and fell back to 1100 RPM's in less than a second.....No drivability issues and it has not stalled since I did this!!

If I ran it before with only the vent and no A/C it would stall at idle if I tapped the throttle....Now it works fine with no stalling or hesitation!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Marauderjack

Nice post, but all this can be done with out the hardware using tunning

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Reinhart View Post
    Nice post, but all this can be done with out the hardware using tunning
    Yes, if you're giving away tunes or xcal-2's that is...

The restrictor plate doesn't require owning an xcal-2 or paying the $100+ for tunes just to change the IAC. His solution is what, a couple dollars compared to ??

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyFords View Post

The restrictor plate doesn't require owning an xcal-2 or paying the $100+ for tunes just to change the IAC. His solution is what, a couple dollars compared to ??

Well I have never charged for a update, I have no idea what others do, some dealers do some do not. I believe he has Diablo tunning so maybe they do.
    Last edited by Dennis Reinhart; 11-12-2006 at 05:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyFords View Post

Take a Mydol John

What the hell is "tunning"??

If it is so easy why haven't some of you "tunner guys" spoken up before now!!??

I'm happy with my $1.50 restrictor so far!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Quote Originally Posted by Zack View Post
    Take a Mydol John

Are you taking spelling lessons from BigDog or Dennis?

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I started it this AM and tach jumped to about 1700 RPM's and fell back to 1100 RPM's in less than a second.....No drivability issues and it has not stalled since I did this!!

If I ran it before with only the vent and no A/C it would stall at idle if I tapped the throttle....Now it works fine with no stalling or hesitation!!

Marauderjack
    Ford has a TSB for a reflash if you are experiencing stalling/hesitation/rough idle at start up
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals View Post
    Ford has a TSB for a reflash if you are experiencing stalling/hesitation/rough idle at start up

wow read the posts before you reply...

11.90 @ 117.5mph on 93 octane
    324 shortblock, Novi 2000, Now with optional axle removing tires
    Igziabeher

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by RR|Suki View Post
    wow read the posts before you reply...
    wow, have a sense of humour?
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information