Thread: Oil Filters

Oil Filters

Since my reply to piglet's Q about oil and filters, I have done some research and am now thoroughly confused. As I stated in my reply, I have always used FRAM filters and never had any problem. I find, however, a disturbing trend in a number of studies and opinions on the Web, stating that while FRAM used to be a quality filter, it no longer appears to be. One such study can be found at:

http://www.dorianyeager.com/oilfilterstudy1.html

What are the experiences of the esteemed members of this forum?
    Should I stick with FRAM or go with Motorcraft? ...help...my 03MM will be due for its first change soon...

piglet Guest

Question I'm confused as well

Gents,

Spoke with the service manager about the frequency of my oil changes and he told me every 5K miles. He said there is no break-in oil. I asked about draining the oil at 1K and he said no need.

I asked about running Mobil One, he asked why and said the Motor Craft oil is great and less expensive. I told him $30 bucks here and there is no concern for me. He then called in the chief mech from the garage and asked him "cold" what he though about oil changes and Mobil One. The mech regurgitated what the service manager had said.

I am not sure if they have rehearsed this oil pitch or not but they seemed sincere in there answers.

Anyone buying this? They were un-interested in me coming in every 3K to change the oil and were less interested in me using Mobil One oil.

Yes, the spec is now 5000 miles...

I'm still changing mine at 3k intervals though...

Larry Vogel Guest

I'm sure he's being honest in what he know's, but their are other products out their that can and do better jobs. Oil products are by far 10 times better than they were just 20 years ago. Some do the job better, Mobil 1 is one of them. Oil filters are in Question also, and you don't always get what ya pay for. The better one's cost 10.00, like the K&N filter. The cheaper one that came out a winner was the Purolator.

My wifes car, PT cruiser, the owners manual says to change the oil every 5000 miles. THe only ones tooting the 3000 mile note these days are places like Jiffylube, and there ilk. Engines and oil have come a long way, and if the service managers (who normaly I want to drag out into the street and leave next to the Money guys) are saying to use LESS expensive route, sounds honest enough to me.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Have owned FoMoCo cars all my life.
    1979 T-Bird - 200,000 miles on original FMX transmission!!
    1988 Turbo Coupe
    1989 Crown Victoria LX
    1991 Mark VII LSC
    1997 T-Bird LX
    1998 Mark VIII LSC

Stick with a Motorcraft filter. Change your oil every 3,000 miles. I used Castrol when I used to change oil myself. Now the filter is so difficult to get to and get off, I let the dealer do it on the lift.

Been doing this routine for 23 years, never had a problem...
    JohnnyB

2004 Mach 1 - Torch Red 5 Speed

2003 Mercury Marauder
    300A, RPC Chip, 4.10's, K&N Aircharger

2002 Ford Focus ZX5

Questioning oil capacity

Just had my oil changed at the dealer for the first time. Dealer said that mine was the first they had worked on. My wife's former 1996 Cougar with 4.6L engine (I know it's a different motor) took 5 qts with filter. MM owner's manual states oil capacity is 6 qts with filter. Dealer said that the spec sheet they have for the car says 7 qts with filter. Who's right? Those of you who changed your own, how much oil did the engine require?

bozobill Guest
    six (6) quarts.

oil change

it,s 6 quarts, and my sevice dept. says 3000 miles for 1st year at least! might have something to do with how i drive [drive it like you stole it] but dealer is paying for changes,more is better when it coms to oil changes in new motor! [IMHO]

Thread Information