Thread: Rear Air Suspension

Question Rear Air Suspension

What happens if you jack up the car without turing the air suspention switch in the trunk off?

It will blow up!

It is mainly a safety concern for whomever is working on the car; as the system can deflate/inflate up to one hour past the last run->off ignition cycle. It is good practice to turn it off whenever jacked up for your safety, and also reduces risk of damaging components that are being removed should the RAS alter its height whillst you are working.
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Trunk Monkey pops out and hits you over the head with the jack.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

12" rear rake.......

Kiss it Good-Bye!

Gotta Love It!
    "Best of Show"
    MARAUDERVILLE IV
    ORLANDO, FL
    11/11/06

Member #1031
    Brand New 2003 "Black over Black" 300B
    Conceived 2/25/03
    Born 3/21/03.. "7002 of 7838"
    Home 5/26/03 showing 19 miles!

TRILOGY (Eaton M-112) Supercharger #152
    ALTERNATIVE Automotive (Xcal-2) TUNE
    K&N AirCharger... Part No. 63-1111
    FLOWMASTER Super 40's with stock Megs tips
    FoMoCo OEM Rear Spoiler/Black Titanium SS inserts
    FORD GT Coil Covers (Ford Blue)
    FormulaONE Window Tint "Pinnacle Series-35"
    METCO DS/Loop

1972 Buick Skylark 350 Hardtop Sport Coupe
    Antique Gold with Dark Saddle Vinyl interior
    "Last of the original Muscle Cars" bought NEW(7/5/72)
    and still kickin' ass!

I've done it once with nothing happining to the vehical . I allways tell the mechs but who know if they remember or even care.But so far so good

It will try to compensate (lower the car) and let the air out of the bags if the axle is hanging unsupported!! When you let it down you won't be able to get your jack(s) out until it pumps back up!!

In the past I think some went past the limit of the sensor and wouldn't pump back up but the few I have "forgotten about" did pump up.

It's better to turn the system off in the trunk to be safe!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I personally did not see it, but a friend took a Navigator to get rims put on, when they jacked up the car the tech did not turn off the switch and the airbag overinflated and popped.

On my crown vic (2001 LX HPP) I had a guy forget to turn it off at my dealer here in Columbia, MO (PM me before you ever go to this dealer) and when they lowered car to the ground I watche dit take 5+ minutes to sit at normal height... it seemed like they permanently broke it but after a couple of minutes all started to return to normal. It's scary and not worth the risk of damage/injury.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Unnamed) 84,500
    Stock 3.55 Trac-Lok
    Stock 250 HP

2001 Crown Victoria LX HPP (Christine) 46,500 - Totalled 1/18/2008
    BigCars4Ever Dead Pedal

You guys might get a laugh out of this. I tell it not to entertain but to educate. I'M not laughing.

When I got my QA1 DA shocks front and rear and the adjustable front spring pads installed, I had the guy set the front suspension 1/2" lower than stock. I wanted to play around with the rear height because I was trying to solve a rear-end suspension behavior problem under maximum braking effort that the 14" KVR rotors caused. (Check out my write-up in the reviews section: suspension-shocks and springs)

Well I got underneath the thing on my creeper (I'm a skinny guy) and disconnected the height sensor so I could make the adjustment. The car then obeyed my command that the suspension height was too high and as it proceeded to descend down, pinning me against the creeper, I realized I hadn't turned off the system. Glad I hadn't gotten myself in such a position that I couldn't reach the sensor because if I had, I might not be writing this now. It probably would have suffocated me, if not crushed me. Luckily, I grabbed the sensor arm and told the computer the car was too low and the pump came on raising the car back up off of me.

So what was the question? Oh yeah, what could happen if you jack up the car and don't turn off the system. Marauderjack has it right. Nothing bad. But there's a deadly scenario I just described, so if you're getting under the thing at all, use the switch. You might knock the height sensor off with your foot and next thing you know, you're dying.

Thread Information