Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire Rack Winter Wheel and Tire Package

Tire Rack Winter Wheel and Tire Package

After considering a bunch of different options I decided to buy the wheel and tire package from the Tire Rack. It was easy. I did use the link to the site from the MM.net home page, for what it's worth. Also found a coupon code from a google search that yielded a free digital pressure gauge - although I had to pay like $6 for shipping it...

In all I spent just shy of $700 to have them delivered - which they were in a timely manner - a couple days from Indiana. The wheels came with these things I've never seen before - centering rings (as well as a full set of lugs). The rings were already installed in the wheels as delivered and they appeared to be made out of plastic (just a thin plastic ring in the hub at the mounting surface) and retained in the wheel by a wire retaining clip. I was in a hurry to install them - I didn't take pictures of those to share - sorry. Anyway they went on pretty much without a catch, although two things were worthy of note: I had to use a non-impact socket to install the lugs - the lug holes on these wheels are too small in diameter for a thick walled socket to fit (not a big deal - I always use a torque wrench anyway). Also - and I assume this has to do with the centering rings - the wheels wouldn't press on all the way flush with the mounting surface until they were tightened down. It didn't require any unusual torque to snug them up - I just used a ratchet by hand and torqued them down a little at a time, going from lug to lug around the set a few times. I did apply some anti seize on the mounting surfaces.

After inspecting the new lugs and comparing them to my locking factory lugs I decided the locking lugs would work on these wheels - and they did. I'm glad that was the case - already spent enough on these puppies - as far as I'm concerned.

So the tires are the Winterforce - made by Firestone - they are just as Tirerack recommends - staggered front to rear. Fronts are 215/65/16 ($64) and the rears are 225/70/16 ($63). The wheels are Sport Edition F6 16X7's - silver painted aluminum. No traction control or ABS issues.

Initial impressions are basically what I expected, which is to say this is not a performance setup. Old MEMA is a little slow to react to inputs - to put it mildly but again - no surprise here. I've only driven a little bit in snow so far - figures - a week after I get these we get a week of 40 degree days. Anyway in the little bit of snow we had these tires seemed fine, decent traction during acceleration and good braking. I'll try to follow up on this thread later with more impressions of snow driving.

I can tell you this if you ever consider buying these tires - they are not quiet at speed. They make plenty of noise - not horrendous - but hard to miss. And they get louder as you go faster. It's nothing a little music - at a medium volume (moderate speeds) - can't cover up but be forewarned - if you're particular about tire noise.

I can bark a mean second scratch with these babies now! And going around sharp turns - it's kind of fun having tires that are no where near as sticky as the factory BFG's - they start howling and the car slides relatively easy... More entertainment - always good - and if I smoke them too much - at least they are only $60 a piece

Here's some pictures for reference sake.

Jeff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '04 ME MA!
    "Thrillogy" Supercharger Kit #56
    (Self Installed)
    "The Only 'Bolt-On' package you need"

However, you may, like me, add more - like...
    4.10's
    K&N kit

Couple More pics...

Here's a couple more shots...
    '04 ME MA!
    (Self Installed)

4.10's
    K&N kit

Nice look for a winter wheel. Better looking than the 16" steelies. Then again, the steelies are functional and don't have to worry about hurting them.
    Eric

2004 Silver Birch Marauder - Sold 04/17/09:
    - #2703 of 3213 '04 Marauders
    - #852 of 987 Silver Birch Marauders
    - Born On Date: 04/23/04
    - Warranty Start Date: 08/11/04
    - MINE as of: 09/09/05

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

I have the same tires, just a wee bit bigger....

Nice price for the set-up !

Just a wee bit bigger? hahaha Friggin truck tires on that MM, made for a good laugh when you rolled into the Hooters Car show the other month ago.

I bought a set of wheels and tires from another member on here that had gotten them from tire rack (215/65 - 225/70) but I just can't bring myself to put them on cause the tires are so small. Just gotta wait for my christmas bonus to buy the same kind that Dragcity has 235/70-16 (front) and 265/70-16 (rear) and then I will feel a little safer knowing I have some large contact with the road for my big heavy ride.

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

2 years ago I went to tire rack and got the Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50 (225/60QR16 Front and 235/65QR16 Rear) Think I spent around $870 mounted and shipped. They been a great tire.

M o n s t e r .......... M a r a u d e r !!!!!!

I'll be in Niagara Falls in January, we'll have to meet up for lunch, I'll buy...
    Last edited by Dragcity; 12-13-2006 at 08:41 AM.

Noisey? Try em studded!
    2004 DTR Marauder, Built 26 February 2004, Inservice: 02 July 2004 Retired from DD 17 July 2008. Survived the cut, 28 April 2012. Back as a DD as of 18 November 2012.

Jeff

I picked up a set last year from Tirerack. One thing you forgot to mention.

The clearance between the rims and the front caliper is very tight. I recently had all 4 balanced on a Hunter road balance machine. When I put the fronts back on the car the calipers proceeded to knock off the 1/2 oz weights in short order. Now need to go back for round two. Also need to carry a socket set in the trunk in case of tire change. Kind of a pain in the a**.

I love the tires though. Wearing well and really grip in the snow.

Gary
    2003 Marauder (300A, Flowmaster Super 40's, Spoiler)
    2007 Merc Grand Marquis (With Mustang 2007 "Bullitt" Rims)
    2008 Chevy Impala (Wifes car - icky FWD!)
    1994 K1500 Suburban
    1985 Monte Carlo with 19K miles

Nice Pics

My DTR looks just like yours, only I got last year's Tire Rack special...same Sport Edition wheels, but with Pirelli Scorpions. No appreciable increase in road noise where I drive. The Pirelli's handled the snow great last year on my 12 degree grade driveway, and all other conditions I put the car thru. Now, if winter decides to show up this year, I'm ready.

Hopefully, you will get as good service out of the Firestones.
    SeaBreeze

Member # 319

2004 MM 300A (2nd Marauder!)
    Dark Toreador Red / Light Flint Interior
    Acceleration Therapy: TRILOGY #191 (Eaton M-112)

Thumbs up Reply

Eric91Z: Thanks, and hopefully I won't bang them into anything...

Dragcity: I agree - not a bad setup for the money. And vice-versa

ctrlraven: Hey, whatever it takes, right? But I guess I trust the TireRack
    enough to feel that these tires will do fine for me - and the skinnier the better (within reason) for cutting through snow is what they say...

KilledKenny: Those look good - thanks for sharing the pics - how would you describe the ride and drive of those compared to the stock BFG's?

rayjay - Studded? Yeah - prolly have to upgrade the stereo to hear over that racket!

grzellmer: Thanks for the tip on carrying the sockets - I didn't check to see if the factory tool would work! Also - you're making me wonder if Tire Rack knows where to mount the weights - I'm not feeling much vibration - but I think I'll see if they're still on nonetheless.

seabreeze: How are the Pirelli's compared to the stock BFG's?

Thanks everybody,
    Jeff
    '04 ME MA!
    (Self Installed)

4.10's
    K&N kit

Quote Originally Posted by 04MEMA View Post
    seabreeze: How are the Pirelli's compared to the stock BFG's?

Thanks everybody,
    Jeff
    I am not seabreeze, but if you are talking about the Pirelli Scorpion winter tires compared to the stock BFG, the Pirelli are definitely better for the winter and they actually offer a nice, soft, quiet ride. Just don't expect them to handle the greatest in corners. The BFG is obviously better for all out handling.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Cool...

Hey eric91z,
    Thanks for the feedback. So if, say the stock BFG's were a 10 for dry/wet handling (not snow) what would you rate the Pirelli's for dry/wet handling?

I myself have been pretty impressed with the BFG's (for non-winter duty) - except for the uneven wear of the fronts at the manufacturer's inflation specs. They are very grippy - and even seem to hook real good in the rain.

Thanks,
    Jeff
    '04 ME MA!
    (Self Installed)

4.10's
    K&N kit

Quote Originally Posted by 04MEMA View Post
    Hey eric91z,
    Thanks for the feedback. So if, say the stock BFG's were a 10 for dry/wet handling (not snow) what would you rate the Pirelli's for dry/wet handling?

I myself have been pretty impressed with the BFG's (for non-winter duty) - except for the uneven wear of the fronts at the manufacturer's inflation specs. They are very grippy - and even seem to hook real good in the rain.

Thanks,
    Jeff

I would say the Pirellie is a 7 or so for handling. They have a taller and softer sidewall than the BFG.

My front BFG's with the stock alignment and running around 38 psi of air have worn quite well. They have about 28,000 miles on them, but the rears are shot. I will be ordering 4 new ones this winter to mount up this spring and get an alignment done to Carfixer's specs. That along with the Metco's (control arms and Watts link) and Addco sway bars (front and rear), should make for a nice handling car.

But I would not trade my Pirelli's for anything for winter driving. They are wonderful and will take the Marauder where no rear wheel drive car should go in the snow. And I never had to add any extra weight to the rear all winter. Just kept the gas tank full when the roads were bad. I definitely swear by dedicated winter tires on any vehicle now.
    Eric

2003 CVPI - Daily Driver
    - Purchased 05/29/07

Alright

Cool.

I think highly of the stock BFG's for sure - however I was noticing with about 31k on the clock that the outside edges of both fronts were wearing away. When I pulled them to put the snows on - the passenger front - on the inside had worn to the point where belts were showing along part of the circumference. I'll try and make a post later with more info in a separate thread.

Overall - I think 31k out of a good high performance tire is reasonable. So, no big deal really about the wear. Obviously with the blower - the back tires didn't last long - I'm on my second set now.

And as far as those suspension mods - having spent the last nine months driving around Shelby Mustangs for my work - I have to say I'd like to make my car handle like that - and I cannot stop thinking about a 6 speed manual trans. I wish there was an affordable and easy to install kit on the market. That said, I still love the Marauder - for what it is - a great all around hot rod with tons of utility and comfort.

Jeff
    '04 ME MA!
    (Self Installed)

4.10's
    K&N kit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information