Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shifting problem?

mark Guest

Question shifting problem?

Has anyone noticed that if you shift from drive to reverse that sometimes the reverse notch does not get engaged? Also sometimes if you shift through drive the overdrive will not kick in unless you shift above drive and then back down????
    Is this the way it is supposed to be or shuld I have the dealer check it out??

james_hart6 Guest
    Mark,

My M/M doesn't seem to do those things...

Jim

I have also noticed the reverse issue. IT doesn't happen often but you kind of have to move it around to get it to stick.

I also have the problem with it positivley engaging reverse. I plan on having my dealer address that along with the sluggish shift to third when I take it in for 5000 mile service in about 1000 miles.
    2003 Mercury Marauder
    2007 Mercury Mariner Premier 4WD V6
    2008 Mercury Sable Premier
    2002 Mercury Sable LS (Sold)
    1998 Ford Contour Sport (Sold)
    1997 Mercury Cougar XR7 (Scrapped)
    1997 Mercury Villager Nautica (Sold)
    2003 Mazda Protege5 (Sold)

Same Problem Here But The Fix Was Quick

I had the same problem the first day I had the car. I took it back to the dealership, the next day, and they made some quick adjustments and I haven't had a problem with shifting into reverve since them. It also felt tighter after they made the adjustments, so it obviously was loose. I don't remember what they did exactly but it was just a matter of getting the car up a lift and tightening something. I watched as they did the work and what ever the problem was it was the first thing they looked at. So it shouldn't be hard for dealer to adjust it. Hopefully they fix it as you wait and not take all day to look at it.

Good Luck
    2003-300A
    Trilogy #8 with Custom Pulley Produces 12.4psi of Boost
    407 RWHP and 384 RWT
    Best 1/4 Mile 12.028 @ 117.01mph
    From Lidio: Trilogy #8 install & Custom Tune, Custom Pulley, Chip, Accufab Throttle Body, Baer Claw Front Calipers with Crossdrilled & Slotted Rotors All Around, Custom 2¼ X-Pipe, 3 Chamber Flomaster Mufflers, Widened Rear Rims with 305 Nitto NT-555R Extreme Drag Radials, Auburn High Performance Posi.
    From Reinhart: 4.10 Rear Gear, 180 Degree Thermostat, Motorcraft Plugs, Metal Matrix Driveshaft, Rear Sway Bar.
    From Metco: Carbon Fiber Intake Tube, Control Arms & Watts Link.
    From Others: Kenny Brown Braided Brake Lines & Dead Pedal

I see that I'm not the only one with the problem with reverse.
    MARAUDERS get me ****!

I have the same issue with reverse ocassionally as well....probably a little slop in the linkage / cable...
    Wayne

Ok, then it's off to the dealer...
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

shift

same problem!

Mine has the reverse problem also,but I figured it was just me being lazy.

Now the shifting problem that does bother me happens in only 2 places in my drives.
    When running abought 30mph I come to a right hand turn then nail it down shifts to 1st,then up to 2nd then stays in 2nd tell I stop select park and turn the car off.Then it's all good again.I can't get it too repeat twice the same day.(?)
    I'm only at 1000 miles so I'm going to try to document it,count the shifts etc....
    I hope it's just a programing problem.

Cool

Mine has same Reverse problem.
    For problem of car holding 2nd gear, look at Jim's problem with rubbing wire assembly, might have some bearing on your problem>
    http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...s=&threadid=54
    Bill
    03 Mercury Marauder, 300A
    SOLD
    2005 Lincoln Town Car, ADTR Supercharger, TCE Brake Lines, MO's Tune
    2022 Lincoln Aviator Reserve AWD

NYSP618 Guest

SHIFTING

FOUND SOMETHING INTERESTING UNDER MY FRONT SEAT AFTER THE CAR WAS DELIVERED. A NOTE WRITTEN ON AN ENVELOPE WHICH STATED "REV, NFG, HOISTS" - THINK THIS IS ALL RELATED?

piglet Guest

Exclamation Same Problem

Gents,

I too noticed the same "Reverse" problem. I am taking my car in to the service department on Monday for some other issues and will have them look at it then.

missed shift!

When I first got my car I was slip shifting it agressievilly and slid it in to reverse by accident.It locked up the tires instantly and scared the life out of me.I instantlly shifted it to neutral and was glad no one saw me,and that my transmission stll worked.You would think that if some bone head over shifed, that reverse would be locked out?Since then ,when I'm getting aggresive I just turn off my overdrive.

same problem

I have the same problem shifting into reverse. I just make sure it clicks in and it hasn't been a problem. But now that i hear some of you have had the dealer fix it, I'm going to ask them to do the same. THanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information