Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalling out...

Stalling out...

I've searched and found multiple threads on this issue, but none seem to nail down a resolution.

My MM with 39,500 miles started stalling out in gear at speeds just above idle several weeks ago.

Now it's happening more frequently.

Each time it happens, I simply stop, put the car in Park, and restart.

It's one thing to do this in a parking lot or as I'm pulling out of my driveway, it's another to do it in city traffic.

Has anyone nailed down this issue to a single fix? (I don't believe it has to do with the low idle RPM either - that hasn't changed on my vehicle since it was new, but the stalling is definitely a 'new' problem).
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

SOUND: Alpine CD/MP3 with iPod Fullspeed, Sirius Satellite Radio; MB Quart 6 1/2 Premiums up front, MB Quart 5X7 Reference in back, JL Audio W3 10" sub, JL Audio Slash Series 500 W amp, Dynamat everywhere, Optima yellow top to keep it cranking...

SPEED: Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Ford Racing girdle cover and stud kit, SCT Reinhardt tune, Stallion Torque Converter, JLT Intake, Densos/Stat, Addco front and rear, Metco upper and lower, Front Willwood brake kit by TCE

My first thoughts are on the fuel filter--maybe it or needing a change---something to consider at least....
    03' MM Black 300 A - (FOR SALE--)
    Build Date 6/25/02 - #1,987 of 7,839 for '03
    Vortech T- TRIM -Water to Air -
    12.45 at 109.6 MPH
    1.92 Sec .- 60 '
    Alt .SSHS 9 --11/7/09

'06 CV P71 Street Pkg
    Interior Marauder Floor Shift
    All New Parts

'12 F-150 KingRanch Off Rd Pkg.
    373 Gear EcoBoost- Does What's Asked

In Memoriam....11-14-13
    He loved this site so MUCH! and the Members More!!

Rex Weinbender (SC Cheesehead)

One of the best friend a person could have

Idle Air Control Valve may be sticking & needs replaced. Some members on this site had similar symptoms & that was usually the problem. Hope this helps.
    2003 300A
    Build Date: 8/7/02
    Inservice Date: 6/4/03
    Adopted: 7/17/04
    4.10's w/Carbon Clutches (Thanks Chris)
    Lidio 93 Octane Tune
    Curless Cure Done By The Man Himself

Quote Originally Posted by melfunkshun View Post
    Idle Air Control Valve may be sticking & needs replaced. Some members on this site had similar symptoms & that was usually the problem. Hope this helps.
    That was my thought.^^^^^
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

I think I actually had that replaced about 4-5 months ago - an erroneous replacement for an EVAP code which was fixed a week later at the dealer.
    03 MM 300A
    Tint

SOUND: Alpine CD/MP3 with iPod Fullspeed, Sirius Satellite Radio; MB Quart 6 1/2 Premiums up front, MB Quart 5X7 Reference in back, JL Audio W3 10" sub, JL Audio Slash Series 500 W amp, Dynamat everywhere, Optima yellow top to keep it cranking...

SPEED: Ford Racing 4.10 gears, Ford Racing girdle cover and stud kit, SCT Reinhardt tune, Stallion Torque Converter, JLT Intake, Densos/Stat, Addco front and rear, Metco upper and lower, Front Willwood brake kit by TCE

Some members have replaced that part several times. the Aftermarket IAT's suck

MERCURY MARAUDER 300A

Build Date
    5/31/02
    Sequence#
    #363 of 7839 Black Marauders
    Dyno tested power
    450 RWHP & 405 RWTQ on 93 octane
    Best 1/4 mile time to date
    12.456@109mph
    Visit my Garage
    Blackened300a's Garage

This exact same thing used to happen on my 2000 CVPI on a fairly-somewhat-too-often basis. For some reason, it only seemed to happen as I was turning a corner at slow speeds, backing out of a driveway, etc.

It happened about 10 times over the course of a year and I was never able to figure out what was causing the problem. The car ran perfectly and would start right back up and continue to run perfectly, but it was horribly unnerving when you might get killed because of it!

I wound up putting a brand new, complete from top to bottom (throttle body, fuel rails, etc., on down to the oil pan) Ford crate engine in the car and I've never had the problem since (25,000 miles on the new engine).

This tells me that the problem must've been something "up front" and not a fuel filter, fuel pump, etc. It must've been some sort of sensor or other part attached to the engine, because all of that stuff was replaced in the engine swap and the problem completely disappeared.

I'm surprised to hear this on a Marauder. It's the first time I've ever heard this complaint, although it pops up from time to time on the Crown Vic sites.
    --- Todd ---

2007 Dodge Charger - 3.5L V6
    2006 Chevy Impala LT - 3.5L V6

Royal Purple synthetics

2003 Maraduer 300A
    2000 CVPI
    158,730 miles
    Addco swaybars front & rear
    ENS poly bushings & endlinks front & rear
    Command Automotive cryogenic rotors front & rear

Mine has done it about half a dozen times or so, from what I could tell it almost seemed like the belt slipped, stopped turning the alternator pulley for a sec just enough to shut the car down. Put it in N and it would start right back up. It only seemed to happen to me when I would be making a turn and tap the gas like doing a U-turn or pulling into a parallel parking spot

2004 Silver Birch
    300B
    Build date:9/29/2003, Adopted on 12/02/05
    Exhaust by Greg
    13.630 @ 100.49 mph (11/21/10)

2015 Ford Focus SE Sport FWD
    2013 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost AWD (377whp/423tq).
    2010 Ford Fusion Sport FWD
    1989.5 Ford Mustang 5.0 LXsport

Lightbulb Replace IAC...

Quote Originally Posted by melfunkshun View Post
    Yep, that's what my case was when I first purchased the Marauder way back in OCT.02.

Done it before my first scheduled maintenance, I drove it to the dealer as is and had the IAC replaced, I'm over 30,000 mi. now and no problem since.

Use OEM parts.
    Carlos
    '03 Marauder 300A
    • Built 8-23-02
    • TRADED IN

Quote Originally Posted by ctrlraven View Post
    Mine has done it about half a dozen times or so, from what I could tell it almost seemed like the belt slipped, stopped turning the alternator pulley for a sec just enough to shut the car down. Put it in N and it would start right back up. It only seemed to happen to me when I would be making a turn and tap the gas like doing a U-turn or pulling into a parallel parking spot
    All of the cars electronics, ignition etc. run off the battery.
    The alternator is there to CHARGE the battery.

Sounds like the IAC to me.

My car has done this twice and each time it was idling through a parking lot in drive. I have noticed that the idle rpm's when it happens are bellow 500rpm's both times but the engine is not idling rough.
    If you’re in control, you’re not going fast enough. – Parnelli Jones

If your wife's having a good time and you're not, you're still having a better time than if you're having a good time and she's not. - Red Green

2004 Marauder 300A - Garage Queen

1025 of 3213. It is one of 1237 in black and one of 2000 w/o the moonroof option.

Performance
    4:10's, rear Adco, front Eibachs w/ KYB shocks, Working oil pressure gauge, JLT CA Kit, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, TCE SS Brake Lines, Zack big brake kit.
    Dress
    Power by Ford coil covers, Maruder sill plates, God's head steering wheel emblem, spoiler, front and rear splash gaurds, Custom dead pedal, LED lights for engine bay, interior and gauges. 64' Marauder Sail Panel for rear badge, custom God's head badge in grill.

LOC: Clermont Florida

My 2004 does it a lot. I was pulling out of a parking spot the other day and it died. My friend says "I have never seen a person stall and automatic before, wow". If it doesn't stall, the idle will dip momentarily and the battery light will come on. Only 29,000 miles.
    '04 Silver Marauder w/ sunroof - HID lighting, JL Audio / Eclipse DVD/NAV/iPod/camera, 4.10's, 2" drop, Progard Bumper Baffle, Delete tips, Billet Pedals, BC4E dead pedal, Lidio Tune, Mach1 chin spoiler, K&N CAI, TCE lines, Super40's, tinted tails, SS Inserts, Heinous Control Arms, Real oil gauge, lighted door handles. Currently installing Eaton M112.

2004 Mercury Marauder
    Born March 2004, adopted October 2005. Sold January 2012, adopted AGAIN January 2016
    2,187 of 3,214
    997 in Silver Birch
    448 with light flint interior
    304 with heated seats
    336 with sunroof

Mine did the same thing under minimal load and alot when turning, and sometimes when I was just rolling. I have under drives so they might have been the cause. I simply had my idle bumped to about a grand and no more stalling.

Welcome to the DARKSIDE...

2003 Black Mercury Marauder

Black and Chrome RPM 505 wheels staggered 18x8 and 18x9, Custom tune by ELD Performance, JLT cold air intake, FRPP 4:10 gears, PI 3000 Stall Torque converter, PHP intake spacer, Stainless Works Complete Exhaust, Eibach Pro Springs, Steeda underdrive pulleys, Custom Painted Black factory spoiler, 15% Tint front and rear , Kenwood Excelon 6x8 Front and 6x9 rear Speakers, Pioneer 600w 4 channel amp, Zack and Mack Control arms, Addco Front and Rear Sway bars

Best run: 13.75 @ 99.6 sec on 4 May 07

I also vote for the IAC Valve.

Be aware that there are differences between IAC's that even look exactly the same as each other. When you buy one, they get one for you specific vehicle. The computer has a special map in it just for this thing, like the MAF sensor. It also has an adaptive learning. However, there are limits its learning.

My second suspect would be a dirty or bad MAF. The readings from the MAF are used to adjust the IAC.

This is best to troubleshoot with datalogging. A good SCT dealer or ProRacer should be able to help you out.

*Edit* After looking at your sig, DR Tune & JLT:
    1) With the engine off, remove the Air filter and spray a quick shot of "Electronics Parts Cleaner" on the MAF hot wire.
    2) Ask DR to double check your tune that for the Idle strategy stuff.

John
    Last edited by JohnE; 01-01-2007 at 07:04 AM.
    2003 Silver Marauder - Forged Iron Engine, Supercharged, SW Exhaust
    2002 White F250 7.3 - Turbo

Matt,

I have an IAC valve that I'd be glad to send you to try......It is used but OK. I put a new one on while trying the IAC "Restrictor" mod and never put the old one back on!!?? It would be a quick way to see without spending $70.00 or so??

BTW.....If you buy a new one be sure to get only the Motorcraft one.....Aftermarket ones are not the best!!

PM me your address if you want to try it.

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information