Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trans loses 3rd and 4th gear (Need built trans provider info)

Trans loses 3rd and 4th gear (Need built trans provider info)

Coming home a couple nights ago I turn a corner and get a thunk and then revving engine. Turns out I lost 3rd and 4th gear at that point. I'm 1 1/2 months out of warranty (just turned 30K miles). Long story short my local dealer has had the car for 3 days now and told me today that Ford apparently will do nothing to help cover the costs of a repair.

They still haven't opened up the trans to figure out what was wrong but they supposedly don't see metal fragments and the fluid looks good. I suppose it is possible that nothing hard broke but I find that difficult to believe under the circumstances. I'm thinking if I need to repair the thing just go with a built trans but I'm not sure what recommendations folks would have and what sort of timeframe to get one. Thinking about Gearstar or Art Carr obviously but any other info welcome. I'm *NOT* paying $3K for a rebuilt stock trans!

Suggestions/Comments/Help welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Johnson View Post
    Coming home a couple nights ago I turn a corner and get a thunk and then revving engine. Turns out I lost 3rd and 4th gear at that point. I'm 1 1/2 months out of warranty (just turned 30K miles). Long story short my local dealer has had the car for 3 days now and told me today that Ford apparently will do nothing to help cover the costs of a repair.

They still haven't opened up the trans to figure out what was wrong but they supposedly don't see metal fragments and the fluid looks good. I suppose it is possible that nothing hard broke but I find that difficult to believe under the circumstances. I'm thinking if I need to repair the thing just go with a built trans but I'm not sure what recommendations folks would have and what sort of timeframe to get one. Thinking about Gearstar or Art Carr obviously but any other info welcome. I'm *NOT* paying $3K for a rebuilt stock trans!

Suggestions/Comments/Help welcome.

Call me tomorrow, I will try and help

Mach1 Guest
    I think you should try to contact Ford directly. Especially if you are only 1.5 months out of warrenty. My ex had a Ford Contour with the V6. She had the extended warrenty to 75,000 miles and the trans failed at a bit over 80,000 miles. The dealer took it apart and found one of the planetary gears split, and they said that because that was a mfg. defect, they replaced the entire transmission under warrenty. Your dealer may not be trying very hard for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach1 View Post
    I think you should try to contact Ford directly.
    I hope to have a conversation with the Zone Rep who denied any help tomorrow. Let's see what he has to say. But, sad to say, I have a feeling that I'll be calling trans vendors in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Reinhart View Post
    Yepperz Dennis is da man

Most "Reputable Dealers" have something they call "PWA" (Post Warranty Assistance....I think??) where you pay a percentage (10% to 20% or so) and Ford picks up the rest!! My dealer has this program and I actually get 2 or 3 "Claims" after warranty expiration and was advised not to use it for small things such as trim or low price items.....Save it for "Disasters" like drive train problems?? Of course the drive train thing is void now since I have the blower!!

I think it is very "Dealer Specific" but worth a try if you are a GOOD customer or perhaps a GOOD potential customer??

Otherwise get an upgraded trans from Dennis or another vendor near you (Lidio??)!!

Good Luck!!

Marauderjack
    No Marauder

I can give you one of my Vin #'s with the extended warranty if your dealer will accept it.

Man that sucks. Reminds me I am overdue for oil change and check to see if it's time for trans service again yet.
    White Lightning Kiarauder:
    2011 Kia Forte EX Minisculus Pimpmobilius Extremus
    Built-in Nav, Bluetooth, USB port, aux/ipod jack, ]2 power ports and Sunroof! six speed auto trans w/ Sportmatic, dead pedal, rear-view camera. Voice cmd for radio, sat, nav, cell phone and MP3.
    Four very muscular, steroid-enhanced, genetically mutated, Mountain Dew injected, wild racing hamsters cavorting under the hood.
    ............................... ...................
    Black Thunder:
    2004 Marauder - Black w/black interior
    Sequence number is 39 of 3213
    Traded in 12/12/10
    --------------------------------------
    2003 Marauder - Dark Blue Pearl
    XCalibrator2/Reinhart tune
    Sequence number is 37 of 327
    10/10/2009 ---- Blue Thunder has gone on to a much better place -----
    Martyo's Garage!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Reinhart View Post
    You want that. Trust me. That's exactly what you want.

I took the Art Carr Level II pill. Now I'm a junkie.
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

Got to talk to the zone rep late today. He's saying inclined to not help but a final decision on Tuesday when he has a chance to get some more info from another dealer I had service at.

It was a very friendly conversation but I don't have high hopes. I hate waiting until Tuesday because it means a full week of the snow tired daily driver MIA with snow predicted. But I'm not ready to just go pull it out yet either.

I'll keep you informed.

Zack: Thanks for the offer but I'm too "by the book" for that (for better or in this case worse).

Quote Originally Posted by magindat View Post
    You want that. Trust me. That's exactly what you want.

I took the Art Carr Level II pill. Now I'm a junkie.
    Even better - I took the Art Carr "Extreme Street" pill to manage 460HP on the ground and I'm an addict! Dennis and I will tell you Ronnie and Alan Hartmann are GREAT people. They don't get much better'n my book. Neither does Dennis.

One more thing: Take your car to Sessler Ford in Libertyville. As for Joe Anderson (Service Director). Mention my name. Joe has had my transmission in and out of my car on more than one occasion as I've done various upgrades (including installing the latest version, the Extreme Street). If there's any way he can get you at least some part of the warranty to cover it, he will - he really knows the Ford insides and outsides. He also knows all about the snap ring that holds on the overdrive band and 3d gear, having suffered through it with me. I only wish I was still in Chicago to avail myself of Joe's abilities. Jeremy and Dave (the technicians) know my car backwards, so the shop time you'll spend is substantially reduced.

There are minor upgrades you can do to get your car back on the road again and covered by Ford's warranty (the spiral, instead of the snap, ring for the OD band). There's also the Art Carr solution, which'll result in a bulletproof transmission as long as you stay under the power limits (I didn't do that - I went to 460HP without upgrading the tranny and snapped that ole input shaft right off). As I know from experience, Alan Hartmann (Ronnie's son and the VP of the whole shebang) built me the Extreme Street his-own-self and shipped it to me the next day for Joe to install. It doesn't get much better than that.

Dennis has got a great deal as well; he takes your tranny, ships in at the start of the week to Art Carr, and gets it back at the end of the week completely rebuilt at their factory to your standards. Beautiful!

Let me know how it works out.

Mark
    Last edited by N40GL; 01-12-2007 at 05:00 PM.

"That's what." - She

Kenny Brown Mercury Marauder 'S' - Kenny Brown Signature Edition #10 of 10
    Silver Birch #126 of 4,453
    Mercury Division, Ford Motor Company, Panther/Marauders #7,221 of 7,839

MercuryMarauder.Net Member #111 (!)

Mark,

Thanks much for great info. I'll let you know if I end up going that route.

Good.. Now that *that* is out of the way. Let's just say that it has been a long, long road to getting the Marauder back on the road. Not much of the traveled road was fun but here is the culprit:

After finding out that Ford originally wouldn't do anything to help with the repair they came back and offered $500. I said thanks but I didn't think so. I'll go with a new trans.

Then to cut a long story short let's just say I went through thinking I'd be getting an Art Carr trans, then putting the Reinhart stage II in mine, and finally a Finish Line Trans in but all to naught because of timeframes (this is my daily driver and the only one with snow tires) and various miscommunication none of those panned out. In the end, luckily?!?, I decided to just take it apart and see what was wrong. Since I didn't burn any bridges with FoMoCo they "helped" with $500 on a repair of the trans.

When they opened it up the direct clutch drum was in the condition you see. Of course I'm still convinced that this should *not* happen with a stock car at 30K but here I am with a trans in the essentially the same condition as before but me very, very much unhappy with FoMoCo.

To all those that offered advice and help

When the timing is right this thing will get some major upgrades but for now the daily driver is back on the road.

Thanks again.
    Last edited by Mr Johnson; 06-27-2007 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Update image URL

Wow that is really bad with only 30k miles. I hope mine holds up a lot longer than that. I sold a 2003 Acura Tl type S because it had 4 transmissions installed by the dealer by the time it had 46k miles. I hope this car is not as bad!! Crossed fingers!! Who rebuilt the trans, the dealer, or did you farm it out? Hopefully it holds up for you!
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Quote Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother View Post
    Who rebuilt the trans, the dealer, or did you farm it out? Hopefully it holds up for you!
    I had the dealer do it. The only folks I would trust to upgrade the trans were way too far out on timeframes to get the daily driver back up and running. FWIW: It's a $68 part with > $1200 in labor.

I'm pretty sure the trans will hold up until I get around to upgrading everything or getting rid of the car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information