Thread: Tranny Rebuild + PI 3K = More fun but lower mileage?

Tranny Rebuild + PI 3K = More fun but lower mileage?

A few weeks ago finally had the PI 3000 and full tranny rebuild from Dennis installed. My mechanic also upgraded a couple of additional parts as well while he was in there. Also did his rear engine cooling mod at the same time.

Had to get used to the new shift patterns, but the car is a lot more fun to drive. Very firm shifts. You know how the stock MM loads up a little and the RPM jumps when you take OD off? Well, now it kind of feels like that all the time, like the car is pulling harder. No more of that "coasting" feeling I used to get, but still the car is quicker.

I think my RPM at most speeds is up a bit as well, as I seem to recall the car running at about 2150 ROM at 70 mph, and now it is about 2400. (?)

Anyway, does it make sense that after beefing up the tranny and installing the TC that my mileage would drop 1.5 mpg?

Not complaining as the trade off in performance is well worth it, just trying to figure out the mechanics of why it's happening.

Thanks as always for any info.

Norm

That milage drop sounds normal.

Your foot is in the Pedal more

KillJoy

My gas milage improved with just a 3k TC, lighter weight, smaller diameter= more efficient. If I drive it like a geratric anyway. But launching is too fun and Im always on the pedal as stated above.

A higher stall converter is going to be slipping below its stall speed (when the TC is not locked of course) so a loss of gas mileage is normal
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

yep

been 10,000 miles since dr did mine and i had the 4.10's installed at the same time so i can't say mpg was/ is lower just because of the tc or the tranny but i lost about 2 mpgs at hiway cruise control no foot in it drivin, course i don't care as the instant downshift hammered butt in seat feelin at wot is so worth it, and in town is not much different still go about 310-330 miles on a tank of gas and just drive like always, don't beat it a bunch, but never can seem to resist the opportunity to roast em occasionally JBIC!!!
    goin fast is fun
    goin faster is funner
    goin fastest is funnest

Quote Originally Posted by Svashtar View Post
    A few weeks ago finally had the PI 3000 and full tranny rebuild from Dennis installed. My mechanic also upgraded a couple of additional parts as well while he was in there. Also did his rear engine cooling mod at the same time.

Had to get used to the new shift patterns, but the car is a lot more fun to drive. Very firm shifts. You know how the stock MM loads up a little and the RPM jumps when you take OD off? Well, now it kind of feels like that all the time, like the car is pulling harder. No more of that "coasting" feeling I used to get, but still the car is quicker.

I think my RPM at most speeds is up a bit as well, as I seem to recall the car running at about 2150 ROM at 70 mph, and now it is about 2400. (?)

Anyway, does it make sense that after beefing up the tranny and installing the TC that my mileage would drop 1.5 mpg?

Not complaining as the trade off in performance is well worth it, just trying to figure out the mechanics of why it's happening.

Thanks as always for any info.

Norm
    Yes, it's normal. The engine is allowed to spin up more and is pumping more tranny fluid before a given speed. Plus, usually the tune leaves the TC unlocked longer. And you're right, the performance and feel is worth it!
    Magindat: (majin-dat) Imagine That.
    2013 Ford Taurus SHO

Lemonade - living with Fruit Punch - in Blackmobile's Garage...
    FIT Procharger Kit #31 - 3.7 pulley - 9 PSI
    World's first BLOW THRU ProCharged Marauder - Reinhart Tuned

boi

Thanks very much guys. My MPG dropped a couple after the 4:10's and SCT tune, the first round of mods, but then rose a bit and stabilized. I used to refill at 300 miles, but now it's about 280 or so.

Couldn't figure out if it was anything mechanical, or just me hammering it more! Sounds like a combination of both. The whole tranny is just so much tighter now it's unbelievable.

Thanks again.

Norm

Thread Information