Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2004 Marauder

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)

2004 Marauder

from ford media site

OVERVIEW

New for 2004

Heavy-duty 4R75W transmission with improved shift response
    New exterior colors: Dark Toreador Red and Silver Birch
    New interior color: Light Flint/Dark Charcoal two-tone
    Needle bearings and Teflon seals on torque converter
    Dual knock sensors for improved response at low engine speeds

Standard traction control
    Standard Audiophile entertainment system
    Overview
    Mercury Marauder delivers a 1960s American muscle car experience with a refined powertrain, new colors and upgraded entertainment system for 2004.
    The 2004 Marauder is powered by an all-aluminum 4.6-liter, 302-horsepower V-8 engine. Its chassis highlights include rack-and-pinion steering, hydroformed front frame rails, monotube dampers and 18-inch wheels and tires. The Marauder seats five passengers with generous front and rear seat room.

Marauder is built in St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada.

Design and Equipment
    Marauder is now available in three exterior monochrome color schemes: Dark Toreador Red and Silver Birch join the original deep-gloss Black. Distinctive yet subtle performance cues include the “Marauder” name embossed on the rear bumper, 3.5-inch polished stainless steel exhaust tips and high-output Cibie fog lamps.

Large 18-inch wheels and tires reinforce Marauder’s aggressive, muscle-car stance, while the image of the Roman god Mercury on the wheel caps reflects its heritage and personality.

Marauder’s interior features a Dark Charcoal and Light Flint two-tone color scheme. Satin-aluminum gauges include a 140-mph speedometer and a 7,000-rpm tachometer, plus voltmeter and oil pressure gauges at the base of the center stack.

Dual eight-way power-reclining, heated bucket seats in rich Dark Charcoal or Light Flint leather are amply padded for better thigh, lumbar and shoulder support. The leather has classic French seam stitching and the front seat backs are embossed with the Mercury god’s-head logo.

Powertrain and Driving Dynamics
    The heart and soul of the Marauder is its naturally aspirated all-aluminum, 4.6-liter DOHC engine, with 302 horsepower at 5,750 rpm and 318 foot-pounds of torque at 4,300 rpm.

Powertrain refinements for 2004 include a new heavy-duty transmission and torque converter, plus dual knock sensors. The dual sensors provide for a more precise spark advance and a corresponding improvement to the engine’s overall performance and low-end acceleration.

The 2004 Marauder also gets a new 4R75W heavy-duty, four-speed automatic transmission for greater efficiency and low-end torque. Other refinements include the addition of needle bearings and Teflon seals to a new 11.25-inch high-stall-speed torque converter with a one-inch one-way clutch. The new transmission provides quicker upshifts and downshifts, and lets the driver “kick down” into first gear at a higher speed.

The Marauder chassis provides a combination of ride, handling, braking and safety performance unattainable in the muscle car era. The full-perimeter frame of strong, lightweight hydroformed steel resists bending and twisting.

The number two crossmember is aluminum, allowing more precisely aligned engine mounts, steering and suspension parts. A strong steel crossmember behind the A-pillar improves the frame’s stiffness and dissipates energy in a side-impact collision.

The independent front suspension uses a short- and long-arm design, Tokico monotube dampers and a heavy-duty stabilizer bar. The live-axle rear suspension has a stabilizer bar and lateral Watt’s linkage, plus monotube dampers and load-leveling, performance-tuned air springs.

The Marauder power steering is a variable-ratio rack-and-pinion design with speed-sensitive variable assist, further enhanced by the ultra high-performance all-season BF Goodrich g-Force T/A tires.

The Marauder runs P235/50WR18s on the front wheels and P245/55WR18s on the rear, for maximum traction and a muscle car rake.

Marauder features twin-piston calipers and a 12-inch ventilated rotor on the front, with a single-piston caliper and vented 11.5-inch rotors on the rear.

Safety
    Along with anti-lock brakes, Marauder safety features include side-impact air bags, the Personal Safety System™, BeltMinder™ and the LATCH system, along with the SecuriLock™ anti-theft system.

Major Equipment and Options
    Standard features include: Cibie fog lamps, tinted glass, 18-inch forged aluminum five-spoke aluminum wheels, center and overhead consoles, illuminated visor mirrors, dual heated fold-away mirrors, leather-wrapped console shifter, leather-wrapped steering wheel with climate and audio controls, floor mats, power steering/brakes/windows/locks, adjustable pedals, rear reading lamps, map/courtesy/glove box/trunk lights, electronic clock, automatic climate control, Audiophile AM/FM/cassette/CD stereo with equalizer and sub-woofer, speed control, traction control, tilt steering column, remote keyless entry and rear load-leveling performance air springs and suspension.

Options include a six-disc trunk-mounted CD changer, heated seats, engine block heater and trunk organizer.
    Last edited by RCSignals; 06-21-2003 at 01:13 AM.

Mark McQuaide Guest
    Well I'll be damned....

Kansas City..... the home of Hallmark Cards
    2 wishes:
    --I wish the Marauder could get some air time like the black 1968 Parklane in Hawaii 5-0, or the black Trans-Am in Smokey and the Bandit.
    --I wish they would come out with the convertible.

(it's nice to have a dream)
    2003 Marauder (mine)
    -300A
    Kansas vanity plate "MARAUDR"
    -MARAUDER plate on the front cuz I don't like the new Kansas personalized plate.
    -Chrome Mercury plate frame
    -Highest legal Kansas tint
    -Fisher Price car seat in back.
    -Keyfast thing on windshield to get into my work parking garage

1999 Suburban (her urban assault vehicle) Navy Blue.

"Life is short......drive it like a rental car."

"When you care enough to send the very best."

Originally posted by Mark McQuaide
    Well I'll be damned....
    Me, too...
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Menace Guest
    They are no longer offering the blue color? This could make the blue Marauders the rarest.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Well slap me and call me Shirley...
    Will wonders ever cease? Mercury (Ford) pouring money into a car that wasn't supposed to live past 2003?

I gotta admit that those items all sound like they'll make the MM a much better machine when it comes to low end response (or TORQUE, in memory of one of our recent most eloquent albeit short-lived member ). A lot of these factory improvements mirror results that can be had with the current crop of chips and gears, though.

I'm wondering if the 4R75W has a steeper 1st gear, to help with the off-the-line grunt. If that's the case, those of us with 4.10s will have the same effect, except across the whole range of gears. But then again... you can always slap on the 4.10s on the '04s and get a real whallop of a 1st gear launch AND get improved 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear performance. However, the 'kicking down into first gear at higher speeds' line has me worried... unless they're referring to the shift programming, I'd think that meant a 'higher' (lower numerically) 1st gear, which wouldn't be good for anything but fuel mileage numbers.

The improved shift response... well, I understand the chip can deliver the same thing.

The needle bearings, teflon seals and the 'greater efficiency' items all lead me to believe this is an attempt to reduce the MM's driveline losses. Great idea, in my opinion. Cheap horsepower... more of the engine's power getting to the rear wheels means better performance AND better mileage all around. A little more expensive but a MUCH smarter idea than just upping the engine performance blindly (usually at the cost of MPG).

HOWEVER.... the mention of dual knock sensors for improved spark curves. YES YES YES YES!!!! That means they'll be juicing up the low RPM spark curve to something a little more aggressive, but risking knock on fuel that might not be up to snuff. Sure we can get more aggressive spark curves from a chip'ed '03, but the level of 'control' over spark retard won't be as accurate. So, I'm expecting the '04s to make even better use of an aftermarket chip's more aggressive spark curves, not to mention the possibility of the chip being even more aggressive in its changes!

One thing that worries me is the 'one way clutch' in the torque converter. If I'm reading correctly, this means that it will freewheel in one direction while locking in the other. That would mean that when the TCC locks up, lifting off the gas would result in immediate engine deceleration no matter what the state of the TCC was in (locked or unlocked). This means the popular 'locked until brake depressed' converter mod would be defeated. I hope that's not the case.

Anyway, it's EXCITING to see Ford/Mercury sinking some development cash into this car. I'll be eagerly seeking out some road test articles on the new '04.

It also means I won't be bothering with any Ford magazines anytime soon... looks like their info isn't exactly reliable, and I won't waste my money on nothing more than printed rumors.

Also states it has upgraded the Audio System -

" Mercury Marauder delivers a 1960s American muscle car experience with a refined powertrain, new colors and upgraded entertainment system for 2004."

And a new 'two-tone' interior.
    Last edited by Directedby; 06-21-2003 at 09:19 AM.

2004 BLACK MERCURY MARAUDER
    SCT
    JLT Cold Air Induction
    PHP Intake Spacer
    Cobra Ported Manifolds
    Flowmaster 50's
    Magnaflow X-Pipe
    Stallion TC
    4:10's
    Steeda Underdrive Pulleys
    Rear sway bar

1969 GREEN MACH I MUSTANG GT
    351 Windsor
    Shelby Cam
    Shelby Tri-Y headers
    Ported and polished heads
    10.5:1 Domed pistons/rods
    Balanced and blue-printed
    Offenhauser Intake
    NOS plummed under intake (8 fuel injectors, 8 NOS injectors)
    Art Carr TC
    Tranny shift kit
    Dual ignition with MSD
    3:90 Posi rear end
    Bought car when I was 16 and still have it

Marauder57 Guest
    Well this to me is a good news bad news kind of thing.....Good news for the brand....bad news is I will probable have to buy the 2004 version at some point in the future.......

Maybe that is good news, good news...

Question

Originally posted by RF Overlord
    Me, too...

Me, three
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

#3,646 of 7,839 black '03

1995 Ford F-150. Mark III 2wd, reg. cab

2011 F-150 Lariat crew cab 4X4 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost

Fate rarely call upon us at a monent of our choosing.

http://www.usdebtclock.org/index.html

RC - Thanks for the info. Now all we have to do is wait for the production of the 2004 MM to begin.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Red ? Looking good??
    Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

I noticed Ford used the words "Equalizer" and "subwoofer" to describe the sound system. Is the word "Equalizer" Ford's rendition of what otherwise is an "amp"?

It's going to be hard to imagine the Panther line-up after 2004 with no performance model; makes you wonder what Ford has up their long sleeves!

GEO

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    "It's going to be hard to imagine the Panther line-up after 2004 with no performance model; makes you wonder what Ford has up their long sleeves!"

Yes it does. But then according to some people on BON, there is no performance model in the Panther line up :\
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Guys I think the whole problem is Ford does not know what they have thier own sleeves.

Member # 383.

2003 Marauder Black.

Build 8/13/02

Launched 9/28/02

Sold May 16, 2018

You're right BigDog. Too often it seems their right hand doesn't even know their left hand
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information