Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Never buy used cars in FL, long story

rurumon Guest

Never buy used cars in FL, long story

Its pretty long, and the guy copied and pasted a bit of extra text in the middle, but this is a real good read. Possibly the best buyer beware story of the year.

Here tis

Top_Fuel Guest
    Unbelievable!!! What a nightmare! I feel exhausted after reading that. Definitely some good lessons to be learned in there.

-Greg

Wow. All I could think of afterward was a line from "The Princess Bride".
    "My name in Inigo Montoya. You (sold me a stolen car). Prepare to die."
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Accufab Racing Guest
    There are no victims, just volunteers. I would never buy a used car from anybody that I didn't know personally. Preferably, I would buy the used car from a dealer and only from a dealer selling the same brand car (in this case a BMW dealer). The assumption would be that it was a trade-in on a new BMW. Yes, it would cost a lot more but in the end, a new car dealer would not be involved in any illegal scams. Too much to lose. And finally, anybody who thinks that BMW's are that good deserves anything that happens to them. The most over rated, over priced, and unreliable yupee cars I have ever seen.

Originally posted by Accufab Racing
    The most over rated, over priced, and unreliable yupee cars I have ever seen.

But tell us how you REALLY feel. Don't hold it in.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

I need a nap now...long story what a freaking nightmare...I didnt follow all the links did he get his money back?
    '03 Marauder
    Ford Wheel Locks
    OEM CD Changer
    Trunk Org
    Big ass scratch in driver front rim(gives it character)
    Another Big Ass Scratch On Rear Bumper (Even More Character)
    35% all around

No, I don't think the guy has his money back.

The last thing I read, he said he was waiting for some response from the FL attorney general.

TTYL
    David

rurumon Guest
    I think we all can be clouded by instant gratification. Its an amazing thing that happens to polish away any imperfections until we actually buy what it is we are actually looking at.

Marauder57 Guest
    As soon as the guy offered him dinner rather than see the car after he flew all that way....I could tell he was in trouble.....Could not make it through the rest of the story....too long....

Maybe this is my lawyer's brain kicking in here, but this guy got suckered and he allowed it to happen. The guy fancies himself a wiz with cars and sure talks a good game (i.e. bragging about his expensive tool collection, etc.), then why didn't he see what was coming? C'mon bud, open your eyes!!

Before you flame me, for the record, I do think that the guy that did this too him should be drawn and quartered......

Originally posted by martyo
    Maybe this is my lawyer's brain kicking in here, but this guy got suckered and he allowed it to happen. The guy fancies himself a wiz with cars and sure talks a good game (i.e. bragging about his expensive tool collection, etc.), then why didn't he see what was coming? C'mon bud, open your eyes!
    I read as much of this chopped up story I could find and I have to agree with Marty. There are several places where the "common" sense is stretched beyond the "common" imagination. While reading it, I wanted to shout paraphrases of Forest Gump at my monitor..."Stupid is as stupid does."

Yet...I must admit that there are events like this event, in my own life. I too have been "stupid does," and I believe that if everyone here could be honest about this for just one moment, all of us would have to admit to doing something this stuipd ourselves, somewhere in our lives.

It's called lust. And once lust is in charge and running your head, you're stupid. Be it lust for a car, a women, a "summer cottage on a lake" that's really a 12X60 within driving distance of any water, being the silent half partner in a no brainer hustle like a video store/hot dog stand/Amway, whatever...

Stupid is as stuipd does, when you're in lust.

Can I get an amen...
    Last edited by SergntMac; 06-25-2003 at 06:03 PM.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Personally, I think he should have seen it coming as soon as, right after flying in and meeting with the seller, the seller brushed him off, and said he had no time for him because it was Mother's day. That's when he should have just left.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

WolfeBros Guest
    AMEN Brother Mac. I agree with you and Marty on this one.
    This guy fell for all the traps that he knew enough not to fall for.

To not drop $14 for a carfax before he even got on the plane was dumb dumb dumb. I know carfax doesnt pick up all the history but it would have saved this guy big time.

I bought a used Jag XK8 for my wife that was located several hundred miles away. I did a carfax first then hired a local mechanic and paid him $120 for a first hand inspection and a 14 page report. I then flew down to pick it up knowing that I would fly back if anything out of the ordinary came up. Mac is right......what saves you from being stupid is lust and emotion. I walked in looking for a snake in the bushes and never found one. Happy to say a year later wife (and I) still love the car. The secret to most impulse buying is to try and do it without any emotion. The car sellers and crooks are betting their livelyhood that you come in lusting.

This poor guy never had a chance but much to his credit he wrote about it so others would not fall prey to the mistakes he made. For that my hat is off to him. I hope he gets some type of restitution but I doubt that he will ever see a dime of his money.

Originally posted by martyo
    Maybe this is my lawyer's brain kicking in here, but this guy got suckered and he allowed it to happen. The guy fancies himself a wiz with cars and sure talks a good game (i.e. bragging about his expensive tool collection, etc.), then why didn't he see what was coming? C'mon bud, open your eyes!!

Before you flame me, for the record, I do think that the guy that did this too him should be drawn and quartered......
    Marty It appears that the guy knowingly sold a stolen car. I think he should be arrested and indited by the Grand Jury. Then let a jury of his peers decide his fate. The best case scenario is that the victim get his money returned which is highly unlikely. Sure the buyer made mistakes but he was blinded by the fact he was getting a super deal. There is a sucker born every day. IMHO.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

My big question about this is, did he really bring his wife chicken wings [unrefrigerated] from half-way across the country and did she really eat them? IMHO that speaks volumes......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information