Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fog light operation

Question Fog light operation

Ok guys, lets here your input:

On the "HID Headlight Install" thread, several posts were made in reference to the fog light operation. In my case (300B), I must first turn my headlight knob to the 'marker lights' position. The knob will ONLY pull out to the 'fog light' position if the marker lights or headlights are on.

Some posts were made that would lead a logical man to believe that the are some MM's out there that can turn the foglights on without ANY other lights being on (300A's possibly??). I'd appreciate any input from owners of both models. If it is in fact another 300A / 300B difference, then I want to learn how to "hot rod" my fogs so that they can be turned on alone. Thanks for any replies ----- Ryan.
    '03 300b - all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '93 Mustang Notch - restored w/ all the bolt-ons (SOLD)
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)
    '95 Lightning - bolt-ons and susp (Totalled)
    '93 Stang Notch - full resto with autocross susp (SOLD)
    '01 Lightning - 3"/4" drop and full bolt-ons... FAST.

"Marker Lights"?

Maybe this is a geographic thing. When you say "marker lights" are you referring to what we would call "parking lights" down here? I don't think I have ever heard that term before. Of course, I've heard a lot on this board that I have never heard before!
    2003 MM 300A
    Born June 18, 2002
    Adopted Christmas Eve, 2002
    First Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 81,000 miles
    Second Factory Rebuilt Ford P.O.S. Engine at 101,000 miles
    Ford Racing 4.10's
    Reinhart/XCal2 Custom Tune
    Reinhart Underdrive Pulleys
    K&N Conical Air Filter
    Reinhart Exhaust with 18" Magnaflows
    Silencer Removed
    Bosch Micro Edge Excel Wiper Blades
    Bob White Red Bumper Inserts
    Lone Star Beer in cup holder
    Fellowship of Christian Cowboys
    license plate bracket

God and the soldier we adore, In times of danger, not before.
    The danger gone, the trouble righted, God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.

Cynicism is the smoke rising from the ashes of burned out dreams.

Very early production 300A here X2. Both require the headlights or parking lights to be switched on.

Correct, I am referring to "parking lights". The terms are interchangeable. I worked for a trucking business for years and I just got used to calling everything "Marker Lights".
    '97 F350 Powerstroke 5 spd, 4" straight pipe, 5" stacks, Rockford system, 35" tires...(SOLD)

Thanks Mac... 'preciate it.

300Ac - 4 operational modes. Clockwise...
    1) Do nothing, daytime running lights are on when the car is running [1]
    2) Turn on marker/parking lights. Pull switch out. Fog lights +daytime running lights + marker lights.
    3) Turn lights on. Lights are on. Annoying *bing*bing*bing* when you remove keys from the car. Pull switch out: fog lights + main headlights.
    4) Turn switch counter clockwise from "off". Lights come on/turn off automatically. Pull switch -> Fog lights come on automagically too.

[1] Daytime running lights have been manditory in Canada since the late 80's. New cars must come with them standard. Your headlights are on at 75% brightness whenever the engine is running. These are reffered to as "Daytime running Lights". When your headlights are running at 100%, such as at night, there are the "mains". Some vehicles, mostly standard transmission models, have the lights turn off when the parking brake is engaged. Some automatics can be started with the parking brake engaged, and the running lights will remain off until the brake disengages. There is no way to turn this off in the Marauder.

Refering back to the other thread, I like to drive around town with just my fog lights on, as a courtesy to other drivers if I have changed my main lights to brighter than standard. So then, I prefer to let my fog lamps take over this role, but I have found that the Marauders fog lamps are not well suited to this purpose. I like to get better mains as I live outside of town, and the better lights are useful for lighting up the ditches so I don't hit deer, moose, cows, alpacas etc. at night.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

Thanks Doc... my MM doesn't have daytime running lights, though. Steer clear of those alpacas... can't trust them.

It's the etc. that has me worried.... some of the critters up there would EAT the Marauder.
    Gone, but not forgotten

"I don't drink beer, I drink Guinness."

Originally posted by Dr Caleb
    so I don't hit deer, moose, cows, alpacas etc. at night.
    ALPACAS?! I thought Canada was our neighbour to the NORTH? ...or has Canada changed its national anthem to "I Come From a Land Down Under"?

The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Alpacas??????

In Canada?

I think the only way to light the fogs without any other lights on is.......separate wiring and switch to the fogs exclusively.............
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

Also...Dr.............ask Steve(tripletransam) about reworking the

DRL/park brake issue....I know he was working on it...............
    "From the forest itself comes the handle for the axe"

He's here! Carson James Mo--our 1st
    Born 6/02/2005

Member Windy City Marauders

1988 Mustang LX notch
    5.0 5 speed
    Engine by Total Performance
    GONE rear ended by a douchbag on his phone

1990 Mustang LX Notch bought from the original owner

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T (hers)

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny
    (")_(")* into your signature to help her gain world domination.

Originally posted by Mad3R
    It's the etc. that has me worried.... some of the critters up there would EAT the Marauder.

Originally posted by jefferson-mo
    [B]Alpacas??????

In Canada?

Originally posted by RF-Overlord

ALPACAS?! I thought Canada was our neighbour to the NORTH? ...or has Canada changed its national anthem to "I Come From a Land Down Under"?

I have several neighbours. One raises Alpacas and llamas, one raises Elk, one raises Cows that think they are squirrels (a little mad) and another raises Buffalo.

Now you know why I check the ditches more than the road. I have to say though, Alpacas and Llamas are wonderful animals. Very friendly, almost dog like. Good thing he only raises them for wool. But buffalo! Take the biggest, meanest bull you've ever seen, and that is a small, gentle buffalo.
    2003 Marauder 300eh - Stock

Born: 12/03/2002
    Adopted 02/17/2003

Trilogy #243

AVIC D3
    SS Inserts.
    Metco Control arms and Watts link.
    QA1 8 way adjustable shocks and struts.
    Addco front and rear anti-roll bars.
    Wilwood front brakes.

I can't drive 55. I'm looking forward to not being able to drive 75 ether.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by jefferson-mo
    Also...Dr.............ask Steve(tripletransam) about reworking the

DRL/park brake issue....I know he was working on it...............

My initial idea was to run wiring from the DRL module to the interior, in order to selectively turn off the DRLs (I have a nice plug where the fuel door release button should have gone, just begging for this DRL kill switch or at the very least a Nitrous Oxide arming trigger ). This requires knowledge of a certain 'termination' plug on the harness for US cars without DRLs, as mentioned by someone on this board. I'd need a part # to study the best way to hack into this dummy connector.

Then I began wondering how I could integrate the wiring as found on the Grand Marquis/Crown Vics previous to 2003 (my understanding from the dealer being that 2003 was the first year for this DRL-always-on attrocity). I'm not sure I'm ready to put down the cash for a 2002 wiring diagram manual only to find out it suffered from the same setup.

Of course, one kind member of this board PM'ed me with a simple and very effective alternative: just yank the damned DRL fuse. I haven't tried that yet, as I'm not familiar with how sensitive the light module would be to a missing fuse (ie. would the wiring for DRLs being present combined with a missing fuse cause the light module to store an error code?).

So that's where I stand now, and I haven't been to any drive-in theaters lately so this DRL thing hasn't bothered me much. I have vacation coming up at the end of July and intend to complete the project at that point, using whichever approach from the above-listed I decide to follow.

Side note: the wiring diagram manual is really useful to have, since none of the circuit info is found in the service manual. It's not nearly as detailed as what I have available from the GM service manuals, but it's indispensable nonetheless.

TripleTransAm Guest
    Originally posted by Dr Caleb

4) Turn switch counter clockwise from "off". Lights come on/turn off automatically. Pull switch -> Fog lights come on automagically too.

I ran down to the garage to check out my foglamp operation and was just about to post the complete rundown, but saw you did a great job doing so. However, while typing up my now-deleted post, I did have one question: What happens when you're in AUTO mode with the fogs on, and there's enough light out such that your main lights are off? Does your 'automagically' term mean that they only come on once the main lights are triggered, under low light?

I figured I'd ask this on the board, since it would be hard to detect what mode I'm in, seeing as how I'm saddled with always-on DRLs in Canada. (although, thinking about it, I guess the parking lamps are off when only the DRLs are on and the switch is OFF, so I guess that would be my indicator of whether the main lights were on or off, it's hard to distinguish between 100% and 75% intensity in broad daylight!)

Since the switch doesn't permit pulling the foglamps to ON mode unless you're in parking-only, headlights or auto, maybe the AUTO mode can be adapted to control fog lamp operation with the headlights off? I'll have a look at the circuitry tonight and post from home (the ONE time I decide to leave the service manuals at home and not in the trunk... sheesh!!).

Side note: while we're speaking of foglamps, another mod I'd like to do is to allow for fog lamp operation during high beam usage, for those instances where I need more light in totally unlit rural areas. From what I've seen in the wiring manual, it should involve a simple bypass of one relay. More to come in the coming weeks...

TTA, I do not have the details with me today but I did a mod to my 2003 F-350 (with Foglights) that allows them to be on with the High Beams. In the Trucks, the Fog's operate off a ground circuit on the wiring harness, I had to unplug and direct ground the Fog Lights. Once completed they work like a charm. Just a thought as you head back out to the Garage.
    2003 MM 300A-Stage 2, Spoiler, Zaino, V-1, Future S/C
    2004 GMC Sierra Denali
    1999 Lumina - Commuter
    1990 Corvette
    1980 Z-28 - Being re-born in 05

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information