Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car recommendation

Car recommendation

Here's the deal. This fall the Marauder will be retired from everyday use. Before then I will be looking for a transportation module to use for everyday commutes, shopping, and other boring stuff. The basic requirements are as follows:

No more than 30K miles on the clock. No older than say, 2004.

$14K Max.

Decent gas mileage, high 20's + on regular. If I'm driving a transportation module it should save money.

Reliability is the primary goal. It will get 30K miles per year and I don't want to spend any money on it that could be better spent on guitars or the Marauder.

Must have leather upholstery. This is a deal breaker, I have to wear a suit every day and I hate the way most car upholstery collects dog hair.

Must meet minimum comfort and space requirements. Mazda 6 yes, Mazda 3 no.

Must have an automatic trans, I hate driving a stick in stop and go.

What should I buy and why? Make your best case.
    Last edited by dwasson; 06-18-2007 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Defined "decent gas mileage" and corrected the price
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

?

Define "decent" gas mileage...? low - mid 20's?

For 30k miles per year - premium fuel is likely out of the question?
    '04 ME MA!
    "Thrillogy" Supercharger Kit #56
    (Self Installed)
    "The Only 'Bolt-On' package you need"

However, you may, like me, add more - like...
    4.10's
    K&N kit

Quote Originally Posted by 04MEMA View Post
    Define "decent" gas mileage...? low - mid 20's?

For 30k miles per year - premium fuel is likely out of the question?
    High 20's + on regular.
    Dan

Rest area, rest home -- what difference does it make? I'm sure Grandma enjoyed seeing all those big trucks pulling in and out.

Why not a Taurus? Our old 02 was good on gas, and if you forget to put the air filter in and run it at WOT, sounds just like a V8

2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Lund nGauge, BMR vertical links, MGW Shifter, BMR CB005

2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10s, Stainless Works LTs, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, Ridetech Coilovers + Adj rear shocks, FX-R projectors, Wilwood 13" BNSL6 + FNSL4 BBKs, S55 Gauge Cluster
    440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
    2063/3214

(Sold) 2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
    5377/7838

2000 BMW M5 - Evolve Intake, Evolve Alpha-N tune, Stoptech ST-40 BBK, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB, Dinan RSB

1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors

One thought---

There's a free publication "Auto Focus" that I pick up at the market or Blockbuster... Now, it's all dealer ads - but I regularly have seen Buick Lesabre's and Park Avenue's - low mileage and maybe 5-6 years old for good prices. I personally know two people who have had good luck with Park Avenues. They're big and comfortable and I believe will get upper 20's on the highway. The 3800 V6 has a good reputation for durability. Maybe a Bonneville - a non s/c SSE has lots of toys - and some of them have million way adjustable seats - helpful for a bad back - perhaps...

Jeff

Added more info:
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...g=1&cardist=23

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymod...k_Avenue.shtml
    Last edited by 04MEMA; 06-18-2007 at 07:19 PM.
    '04 ME MA!
    "Thrillogy" Supercharger Kit #56
    (Self Installed)
    "The Only 'Bolt-On' package you need"

However, you may, like me, add more - like...
    4.10's
    K&N kit

Quote Originally Posted by dwasson View Post
    Here's the deal. This fall the Marauder will be retired from everyday use. Before then I will be looking for a transportation module to use for everyday commutes, shopping, and other boring stuff. The basic requirements are as follows:

No more than 30K miles on the clock. No older than say, 2004.

$14K Max.

Decent gas mileage, high 20's + on regular. If I'm driving a transportation module it should save money.

Reliability is the primary goal. It will get 30K miles per year and I don't want to spend any money on it that could be better spent on guitars or the Marauder.

Must have leather upholstery. This is a deal breaker, I have to wear a suit every day and I hate the way most car upholstery collects dog hair.

Must meet minimum comfort and space requirements. Mazda 6 yes, Mazda 3 no.

Must have an automatic trans, I hate driving a stick in stop and go.

What should I buy and why? Make your best case.
    Dan,

I ran your "specs" through Kelly Blue Book and didn't come up with very many options. Price, newer model, and MPG are drivers in the decision/

Not sure that this meets ALL your requirements but how about a 2004 Ford Focus ZTS. Current estimated retail is $11,195 in excellent condition. MPG in the mid to upper 20's. Comes with optional leather seats. I have had one a couple times as a rental and it is surprisingly roomy inside. Reliability is good to very good. and it is nearly $3,000 under your target. So get the 2005.

The only other reasonable "hit" that I got was a Honda Civic and that had a manual trans. Don't think that they sell them in Detroit .... didn't see many when I was there.
    Last edited by Bluerauder; 06-19-2007 at 07:08 AM.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I'm thinking that the first Fusion/Milans will be coming out of lease in the fall. They may be in my price range.
    Dan

I'm thinking that the first Fusion/Milans will be coming out of lease in the fall. They may be in my price range.
    You may have trouble meeting your $14K target cost.

2006 Mercury Milan Premier with 2.3L $18,505. Might be down to $16,000 next year.

2006 Ford Fusion with 2.3L and optional leather is also $18,505. Go with the Mercury.

Maybe you'll be able to find a real deal ... but its gonna take some looking to get down in the $14K range.

My son (you met him at MV III) just picked up a Milan Premier for his "bride to be" and he likes the car alot. He did lots of research before jumping on the Milan.
    Bluerauder
    '03 MM 300B
    #67 of 328
    Dark Blue Pearl with Light Flint interior(1 of 215)

Black Pearl "Aarrrrr Type"
    '12 Taurus SHO 3.5 L Ecoboost V6 24V DOHC DI Twin Turbo
    (365 HP, 350 TQ)
    #318 of 478
    Tuxedo Black Metallic with Charcoal Black Leather interior (1 of 415)

Member Capital Area Marauders (CAM)
    since April '04

Bluerauder's Garage -- Pics and Other Info

Sixteen (16) years of CAM Meets, Regional, and Marauderville MM Event History & Upcoming (in RED) Events is Here

I have the same plan as you. (Store MM, pick up a daily driver.)

I just picked up a new 2007 Grand Marquis for $17K+ Tax.

Nice car.
    2003 Marauder (300A, Flowmaster Super 40's, Spoiler)
    2007 Merc Grand Marquis (With Mustang 2007 "Bullitt" Rims)
    2008 Chevy Impala (Wifes car - icky FWD!)
    1994 K1500 Suburban
    1985 Monte Carlo with 19K miles

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Mazda6 with leather interior?
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Ford 500 has more room. How about a GM, or CV sport? Big guys need big cars. You don't want to step down into, or up out of, one of those damned things you have to put on.

CV's and GM's are a little more thirsty than I want for this purpose.

AutoTrader has a few 500's and Montegos that look reasonable. I need to stop by by local L/M dealer and see how they fit. I'll probably look at some '05 Impalas too. The last time I checked VLADD was still available as a vanity plate.
    Dan

CV's and GM's are a little more thirsty than I want for this purpose.

AutoTrader has a few 500's and Montegos that look reasonable. I need to stop by by local L/M dealer and see how they fit. I'll probably look at some '05 Impalas too. The last time I checked VLADD was still available as a vanity plate.
    High 20 mpg? that sounds very unlikely in a midsize. Especially stop and go. I would say try the newer Hyundai xg 350s and elantras. Or a Kia Optima.

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    I think the new V6 gets better gas mileage than the one it replaced, and is even close to the 4cyl fuel consumption.
    If you are looking at a Fusion/Milan you might want to look at one of the new ones.
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

I get 25 city /30 hwy in my 95 town car.

dirt cheap used with goodies. my next used car will be another town car. for small car prices, you get a lot of car.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information