Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ignition coil problems

Ignition coil problems

Can anyone explain to me on how to change the ignition coils on my 2003 marauder I took it to the ford dealership in California the land of high prices and the dude told me 804.15 which I know he had done lost his mind so i got pissed so i figured i can do it myself with the help from so of you more experience minor mechs on the site can anyone send me some advice and also does anyone out there know how i can get some of that excess oil out of the ignition coil chamber

Ignition coils are $40 each on rockauto.com and are easy to change out. The real question is why you have engine oil in the cam cover wells. Do something with your PCV system?
    Currently Marauderless but looking

How many miles do you have ?

How often have you changed your motor oil and what are you using?

PCV Valve should be changed every 60,000 miles.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

If you have oil in the spark plug holes then you need valve cover gaskets. This is what most likely took out a coil if that is your problem. You really did'nt say why you were changing them. The coils are very easy to get to. Remove the two ten mm bolts on the coil covers and they are right there. Once the cover is removed you can simply pull the coils out, but do not get to horsey and pull the harness apart.

Accel "Super Coils" are $25 each from Summit:

http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...813+115+400020
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

The more I learn, the more I find out I don't know.

Confusion will be my epitaph...

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Quote Originally Posted by testme View Post
    Can anyone explain to me on how to change the ignition coils on my 2003 marauder I took it to the ford dealership in California the land of high prices and the dude told me 804.15 which I know he had done lost his mind so i got pissed so i figured i can do it myself with the help from so of you more experience minor mechs on the site can anyone send me some advice and also does anyone out there know how i can get some of that excess oil out of the ignition coil chamber
    Quote Originally Posted by finster101 View Post
    If you have oil in the spark plug holes then you need valve cover gaskets. This is what most likely took out a coil if that is your problem. You really did'nt say why you were changing them. The coils are very easy to get to. Remove the two ten mm bolts on the coil covers and they are right there. Once the cover is removed you can simply pull the coils out, but do not get to horsey and pull the harness apart.
    I agree with ^^^^
    to answer your question on the oil in "coil chamber" starting with a cool engine I would use brake clean and compressed air, of course before removing spark plugs. You should slap in a set of plugs while you are there.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

You may also want to install a set of the Granatelli Coil-on-plug wires too.
    Once you get in there and wreck the Bic Pen spings that FORD uses
    for ignition wires, you'll see why you need the Granatelli wires.
    Pete...

2k04 BLACK Mercury Marauder 300A #810 of 3223
    DOB 10/31/2003
    DOP 1/2/2004
    2k19 AGATE FORD Edge ST with Performance Brakes
    DOB 12/11/2018
    DOP 6/19/2019

Water Wetter, K&N AirCharger/Drycharger, SS Inserts,
    SilverStar 9007SU, WeatherTech WeatherFlectors, Steering Wheel Badge,
    AutoMeter Gauges (Oil Press, Voltmeter, and Trans Oil Temp),
    ASC 840 VSS Sunroof, Kenwood KFC-C6879ie x4, COBRA Fender Badges,
    Z&M Rear Control Arms, FORD GT Coil Covers,
    Gorilla Lock Lugs all around, Decklid Designs Trunk Lid Liner,
    SCT Xcalibrator2 (Innovative Interceptors) w/Lidio's (Alternative Automotive) Marauder 3.55 tuning,
    4R75W by Fred Brown's Performance Transmission, tuned to match Lidio's tune,
    DG Motorsports Carbon Fiber Radiator Cover, Zack's Badgeless Grille,
    Accel 140034-8 Coil Packs, Granatelli Motorsports Coil-On-Plug wires
    Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of rice,
    I will fear no turbo for displacement is with me.

Quote Originally Posted by MENINBLK View Post
    You may also want to install a set of the Granatelli Coil-on-plug wires too.
    Once you get in there and wreck the Bic Pen spings that FORD uses
    for ignition wires, you'll see why you need the Granatelli wires.
    You could feel a difference with those coils ? I was wondering about them.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Agree with others that you need to replace the valve covers gaskets first

Then go with the Accel coils and new plugs. For plugs I used the NGK TR55IX. Noticable difference in smoothness & a bit more seat of the pants go.

All these things are very easy for a do-it-yourselfer. Be carefull when installing the plugs. Install with engine cold, a bit of anti-seize on the plugs and torque to 14 ft-lbs. (I think 14 is the right number, you should confirm it.) The heads are aluminum and over torquing the plugs is bad.

Good Luck
    Last edited by grzellmer; 06-28-2007 at 07:55 PM.
    2003 Marauder (300A, Flowmaster Super 40's, Spoiler)
    2007 Merc Grand Marquis (With Mustang 2007 "Bullitt" Rims)
    2008 Chevy Impala (Wifes car - icky FWD!)
    1994 K1500 Suburban
    1985 Monte Carlo with 19K miles

The Granatelli wires might be ok, but the coils are not recommended. Their coil hp claims seem very bogus, and two respected tuners I talked to do not recommend them. MSD now has COP's, but they are rather pricey. The Accels are an outstanding value.
    1957 Custom 2 dr Sedan, 1979 F-series 14' U-Haul 330 XD, 1979 F150 4X4 428 PI/CJ heads/NP 435/4:11 axles-rear Det. Lkr., 1993 Grand Marquis, Y2K CVPI supercharged 5.4, 2003 MM

Home of the Berserker Marauder, one of the ancient Norse warriors legendary for working themselves into a frenzy before a battle and fighting with reckless savagery and insane fury, held to be invulnerable...shirtless regardless of wounds...(possibly due to ingestion of psychotropic and hallucinatory drugs such as Fly Agaric Mushrooms)...

ΓρεεκΓοδ

To answer to other question someone posted was after my car was ran on the diag eec system to plug were missing blown completly out of the chamber which had me running on 6cyclinders how the oil got in there im not sure but i got wire damage and coil damage on the number 6 and 7 coils with large amount of oil in coil cover and im curretly at 66,000 miles

Seeing that your question was answered, I thought I'd pose this question while we are on this subject... I just saw those Accel coils offered by SUMMIT; So you guys believe they are a good choice? Also where do you get those Granatelli wires?

'03 A Build Date 8/02
    F.I.T. #6 ***RESURRECTED***
    *444 RWHP / 401 RWTQ
    *10 lbs. Boost
    *P1SC1 ProCharger
    *SCT Tuned *SCT Big Air 2400 MAF *BAP *GT 40 Fuel Pump *Modified FPDM *SSW Headers *MMX Drive Shaft *Metco Drive Shaft Loop *Metco Control Arms *T/A Stud Girdle w/ Diff Cover *Addco Sway Bars 3,500 Stall B/C Auto. Torque Converter *J-Mod *Wilwood 13" Big Brake Kit *Brembo Drilled/Slotted Rotors (Rear) *Widened Rims w/ 295 Nitto 555 *Autometer Wide Band A/F

When I turn on my car...It returns the favor

I have the same question summit offer the wires but what size would be better for power and a good fit

Quote Originally Posted by testme View Post
    To answer to other question someone posted was after my car was ran on the diag eec system to plug were missing blown completly out of the chamber which had me running on 6cyclinders how the oil got in there im not sure but i got wire damage and coil damage on the number 6 and 7 coils with large amount of oil in coil cover and im curretly at 66,000 miles
    The spoark plugs were blown out????

How was it fixed?
    “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.”
    Ronald Regan

"The only way to deal with the Islamic State - these blood thirsty, blood-drunken, terrorists -
    is to kill them, keep on killing them, until you kill the last one, then you kill his pet goat."

Lt. Colonel Ralph Peters

“Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    "I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, with tears in my eyes, if you **** with me, I'll kill you all"
    General James Mattis

Quote Originally Posted by Local Boy View Post
    ...where do you get those Granatelli wires?
    Summit has the Granatelli insulator and wire connector kit:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They show a (wrong) MSD wire set for Marauders also, but our cars don't use the typical 'plug wires. We have "COP" ignition coils, which means "coil-on-plug". When you remove the R&L covers, you will find that the 8 sparkplugs have 8 individual coils that are connected directly on top of the 'plugs. There is a rubber boot that surrounds a short, so-called "Bic" ink-pen like spring that connects the coil to the 'plug.

The Granatelli wire kit is nothing more than 8 short wire connectors and 8 boots. They have an imaginary horsepower boost, necessated by their $140 + price-tag.
    Last edited by GreekGod; 06-26-2007 at 10:54 AM.

ΓρεεκΓοδ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information