Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What air springs interchange directly w/ the MM

What air springs interchange directly w/ the MM

Hi guys, I know there were at least 2 different air springs in the Panthers, depending on year (isn't one made by Firestone?)

Anyhow, if I were to buy one new airbag for my car, what other applications would use the exact same spring? Lincoln town car only, or also CV and Grand Marquis w/ load leveling rear suspension?

Are the springs interchangeable side to side, or are they left and right specific?

Is there a special tool required to change airsprings, or can I do the job w/ regular hand tools? I have a 2003 panther shop manual but haven't looked closely at changing the air springs. I did see a CTC tool on ebay for changing air springs, I think it mounted off the rear suspension somewhere, it said something about a torsion spring in the air bag?

When I bought this car and realized it had the infamous Ford leaky air bags, I knew then that I was in for it. I have a 3/4" ride height differential in the rear, which is above the 0.5" max that the service manual allows for this car. It's got to be the air bags.

The funny thing is, when you shut the car off and the air bags deflate a little, the side that is normally too high with the car running, deflates more than the other side, and ends up maybe 1/2" off the bump stop when it's parked.

These air bags make me want to get one of the rear coil conversion kits to be rid of them, but with such a huge trunk I don't want to lose the load leveling capability.
    Last edited by Stranger in the Black Sedan; 08-07-2007 at 06:37 PM.
    Steve H., Charles County, MD www.carfap.com
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2004 F250, v10 6 speed manual. ex-US Forest Service truck
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

I have a used pair from the parts car I once had. PM me with an offer.
    Thanks to Darrin @ BC Automotive:
    $1800 and it was worse than when he started!

Brian (FordNut) FPG # 1458 of 7838
    03 MM 300A (Lotsa mods, 130k mi) was 303rwhp/318rwtq N/A
    then 476/410 D1SC ProCharged on stock block
    then 660/555 D1SC PC on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    then 365/369 N/A on 5.3 wet sleeved Teksid alum big bore stroker
    Now 751/617 3.4L Whipple on 5.3 Boss5.0 iron big bore stroker

03 MM 300B Silver (Mostly stock, originally wife's car, 370k mi) FPG # 7053 of 7838 or 49 of 417 SB
    03 MM 300B Silver, Stock, wife's next one, 136k mi FPG # 7134 of 7838 or 89 of 417 SB
    04 MM Silver, Stock, on standby 85k mi, FPG # 1212 of 3214 or 432 of 997 SB
    01 F150 longbed
    01 F150 shortbed
    00 F150 4x4 stepside
    01 F150 4x4 7700
    68 Stang FB (70 351C 4V, 4 wheel discs, project car)

Mods listed here (some items not current): FordNut's Mods

Quote Originally Posted by VicsEvilBrother View Post
    Hi guys, I know there were at least 2 different air springs in the Panthers, depending on year (isn't one made by Firestone?)

Anyhow, if I were to buy one new airbag for my car, what other applications would use the exact same spring? Lincoln town car only, or also CV and Grand Marquis w/ load leveling rear suspension?

Are the springs interchangeable side to side, or are they left and right specific?

Is there a special tool required to change airsprings, or can I do the job w/ regular hand tools? I have a 2003 panther shop manual but haven't looked closely at changing the air springs. I did see a CTC tool on ebay for changing air springs, I think it mounted off the rear suspension somewhere, it said something about a torsion spring in the air bag?

When I bought this car and realized it had the infamous Ford leaky air bags, I knew then that I was in for it. I have a 3/4" ride height differential in the rear, which is above the 0.5" max that the service manual allows for this car. It's got to be the air bags.

The funny thing is, when you shut the car off and the air bags deflate a little, the side that is normally too high with the car running, deflates more than the other side, and ends up maybe 1/2" off the bump stop when it's parked.

These air bags make me want to get one of the rear coil conversion kits to be rid of them, but with such a huge trunk I don't want to lose the load leveling capability.
    There should only be one part number for the rear air springs, and they are pretty easy to replace.
    The CTC tool you saw is probably for the '94 and older Lincoln Continentals as they use rear air spring/strut combination that uses a torsion spring from the assembly to the lower control arms.

I don't know the prices of the air springs, but I do know that the have come down alot from years ago.

As far as the conversion to coil springs, you can use MOOG cargo coils. They come with instructions on how to effectively keep the air suspension switch off, and not have a warning light on dash. I have used them in both my last two MGMs', and it keeps the rear up alittle higher than the front. I have loaded car up with 5 people (not small by any means) and trunk full of luggage and crap and it stays level, no rear hanging down. Handles well on the road as well loaded or unloaded. There are sellers on ebay pushing rear conversion springs without name brands and brag about including instructions for turning off light, and charge alot. I've bought mine wholesale thru the dealer I worked in for about $80 a pair.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Thanks for the info. There are real deal new Firestone 'bags on ebay for $145 a pair, new. They are a lot cheaper than I expected. I might go w/ the coils, I think they will ride better than the air bags, which basically are rigid w/ the jacked up rear ride height on the Marauder, since they were originally designed for cars that did not have as high a rear ride height. I'll give the air bags one shot before I go that route though.

Do you have the part # for the Moog conversion kit?

I thought someone said there were two different manufacturers for the airbags, firestone and someone else? Are the Firestone bags the good ones?
    Last edited by Stranger in the Black Sedan; 08-07-2007 at 07:38 PM.
    1994 Lincoln Town Car. 98-02 front brakes, P71 steering and sway bars, Eaton swap build underway using TorkTech 4.6 2v intake kit.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

I don't have the part number for the Moogs, but I would think most autoparts stores could look it up for you.

As far as the airbags go, when I worked for Lincoln/Mercury the bags I'm pretty sure were made by Goodyear , and then later it could have been Firestone.
    Either ones were good. As long as you would use two maching bags, they should inflate the same as each other.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    these are part numbers for CVPI rear springs

Left PI rear spring - F8AC-5560-HA
    Right PI rear spring - F8AC-5569-HA

i don't know what other odds and sodds you'd need to go with them
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Arrow This is confusing......

Quote Originally Posted by RCSignals View Post
    these are part numbers for CVPI rear springs

Left PI rear spring - F8AC-5560-HA
    Right PI rear spring - F8AC-5569-HA

i don't know what other odds and sodds you'd need to go with them
    Those are engineering numbers. I believe the part number for the CVPI rears are F8AZ-5560-HA. They seem to be the same since 1998 and I have bought 2 pairs for both of my former 92 GMLSHPPs.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Thanks guys, Fordnut sold me a low mileage pair of MM bags. I'll see if out of 4 air bags, I can get two that inflate the same height, because my stock ones don't seem to.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Four Corners,Oregon (take exit at the prison, go past the refuse transfer station, and head toward Shangri-la)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyLPita View Post
    Those are engineering numbers. I believe the part number for the CVPI rears are F8AZ-5560-HA. They seem to be the same since 1998 and I have bought 2 pairs for both of my former 92 GMLSHPPs.
    Thanks. Those numbers are off the parts list for my '03 CVPI. I'll make note of the 'Z' s
    Member Number 32

Originally posted by TripleTransAm
    An interesting side note: this isn't the same forum I used to post on for years, and I've been doing a lot of reading over the past 48 hours on both sites. Looks like there's been a serious splintering. I never thought it'd be possible for this to happen to a group of owners of a car model that sold no more than 14000 copies over 2 model years. Kind of scary, when thinking of the scale. Makes one think that maybe it'd be a good idea to do some introspection and think about what each of us needs to do to build a solid community, analyze what it is we're all honestly looking for by belonging to this community.

Did you check the control for the rear ride height? Someone may have changed the settings?

It's a side to side problem, not front to rear. The controller does not compensate independently side to side L/R, it assumes that each air bag, when given the same pressure, will be the same height. I am going to assume this is not the case on my car, and replace the bags and see what happens.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

could be a sticking solenoid on one side

whd, I also thought of that. I bought a new solenoid yesterday, which should arrive around the same time the air bags do.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

springs can be gotten for $125 installed at my shop. Realitivly simple task.

However, stay with OEM air ride. The MM has them set at a certain postion/spring rate for a reason.

And, +1 on the solenoid! Its a common problem
    Last edited by OneBADLsE; 08-11-2007 at 09:13 AM.
    2004 Marauder - #354 of 1237 made in black
    10,800 Original miles
    Acquired 8-3-12

If it truly was faulty parts at 26 k miles, I would not see a reason to use OEM parts on the air ride again. LOL. There is a company making a premium replacement air bag that has a metal piston to replace the stock plastic one. They are pricey (more expensive than OEM) but probably worth it. They are lifetime warrantied too.
    2011 Infiniti M37x
    2000 BMW M5
    1976 Jeep DJ5 (postal)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information