Thread: How bad did I screw up? (Kinda long, sorry)

Red face How bad did I screw up? (Kinda long, sorry)

After Rescurauder's paint job a year ago, I noticed some defects that became troubling. Some cracking paint on the front bumper, a small crack in some of the light bodywork that was done on the left rear qtr, some dirt in the paint at the bottom of each door and maybe one or two other small defects that you wouldn't normally find until its washed and waxed. I took the car back to the paint shop and they agreed it needed to be fixed and redone. Other than the bumper and the rear quarter, I would leave the car alone. I just hope it doesn't come out worse. Except for some orange peel I was just going to wet sand out on the upper doors and rear quarters, I love how the paint laid out on this car.

Anyways, I was removing the headlights etc and decided to remove the grill too. Everything was fine until the only bottom clip snapped at the last second leaving me a grill with no bottom clips (the other one or two were already broken). How bad did I screw up? I mocked the grill back up with out its bottom clips and it seemed a tight enough fit. Or do I need a new grill? FYI, it's going in for the repaint tomorrow morning.

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

1968 Ford (Galaxie) XL fastback, 390, factory buckets & auto on floor
    2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

See if anything can be fabbed to secure the bottom of grille. If not, or if yes - paint as planned - buy a new grille and get it painted. It can be done out of the car, using a small amount of left over paint. Install new painted grille.
    My badgeless silver grille was done this way, and I can't even tell.
    sent from my rotary phone using Technicolor

2004 SILVER BIRCH/BLACK PAINT
    DARK CHARCOAL NUDO LEATHER
    #400 of 997 (SOLD)

2004 CV LX SPORT
    ALL BLACK, 6 DISC, TUNED MZT (SOLD)

2004 300A MM BLACK
    1 OWNER CAR, NO OPTIONS
    DAILY DRIVER

2013 DAYTONA R/T
    SUPER TRACK PACK
    DAYTONA BLUE PEARL
    #1763 off ~2100
    NOW WITH A 392 & 3.73 posi!

If you were closer i could get it fixed for ya. You can "weld" the plastic back together.

Quote Originally Posted by 2mercs View Post
    If you were closer i could get it fixed for ya. You can "weld" the plastic back together.
    The piece that broke is still in the tab on the car while the grill is in the trunk at the body shop. How does that piece come out, exactly? Maybe I could salvage it.

"RescuRauder", Born on 09/02/2003 & rescued on 04/05/2013. #236 of 3214 and #62 of 1237 in Black. CAI, Some kind of tune, Kooks Headers, X-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats, Magnaflow mufflers, Resonators removed, 4.10's, Metco U&L CA and Watts link, Drilled & slotted rotors, now BOOSTED!! Eaton Swapped 12/29/19!!
    Sold! 1986 Mustang GT Vert, Black, 5spd, new short block, Powerheads, Crower 15511, gears, exhaust etc.

2011 Shelby GT500, Kona Blue with SVT Performance Pkg & Navigation, VMP tuned ~550rwhp/550rwtq. Finally Blown!

It's the same kind of clip that's on the gauge pod, just a little bigger.

Good luck trying to re-attach it...as you saw, they're pretty tight and I don't think any glue will hold. It may hold enough to re-install the grille, but the next time you need to remove the grille it will likely break again.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

So, it comes out by gently pulling on it? Or are you supposed to depress something to get it out?

Well, it's not "gently"...you do have to use a little bit of force, but it does just "unplug". Nothing to depress. I'm always afraid I'm going to break one when I have to remove a grille, but I've been lucky so far.

Remove the nuts from the top first, and then use a 1/4" ratchet extension (or something similar) to push on the clips from behind...make it less unnerving.
    The Blackbird
    Trilogy #61
    Driveway Queen

The Spruce Goose
    2004 Grand Marquis LS Limited Edition
    Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    Well, it's not "gently"...you do have to use a little bit of force, but it does just "unplug". Nothing to depress. I'm always afraid I'm going to break one when I have to remove a grille, but I've been lucky so far.

Remove the nuts from the top first, and then use a 1/4" ratchet extension (or something similar) to push on the clips from behind...make it less unnerving.
    Ok, thanks. That's what I thought. I almost tried to push it from the back, but didn't. It didn't take a lot of force to break, that's for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by RF Overlord View Post
    It's the same kind of clip that's on the gauge pod, just a little bigger.

Good luck trying to re-attach it...as you saw, they're pretty tight and I don't think any glue will hold. It may hold enough to re-install the grille, but the next time you need to remove the grille it will likely break again.
    Duramix 4040 will do the job........
    I LOVE Jerry's bar, it's my kinda place...........

When you are dead, you don’t know you are dead. It is difficult only for others. It is the same way when you are stupid.

"Chuck Norris built my stock longblock. It runs on the tears of small children and makes 10,000 hp. He said it's his 'street version' "

Trilogy # 192 / T.S. 0012

BOOST GETS YOU FELONY STOPPED!!!

if you can't repair it you can sell it here for use to make a badgeless grille or you can buy another and use the two to make a badgeless grille. I realize you need this done yesterday as your car is going in for paint . Just turning poo into lemonade
    Last edited by CrownVictorious; 02-03-2015 at 03:55 PM. Reason: spelling error

jb weld that ****!!!!!!!!

Thread Information