Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked Manifold Intake

Post Cracked Manifold Intake

Hey guys,I have a 1999 Crown Vic with a very recent cracked manifold intake.It is leaking rad fluid at a very low amount apparently at this point in time.
    It's over a grand to fix and the car has over 100,000 miles on it.If I fix it hopefully nothing else goes on the car,like the tranny for example.

Anyhow,is this a big deal,apparently this isn't very common.Can I keep on driving and see what happens.

thanks guys,

DD
    "Pumpin' out da Vic's"

Check around for a better deal to fix it. Check Ebay or other places that sell the intake. I did the same job on a '98 CVPI and the only difficult part was the removing the bracket that protected the fuel rail on the left side. Other than that, everything else was a piece of cake.
    (#6178 in black per FPIC)
    Call 1-800-FORD-788 and press "1". Have the last 6 of your VIN handy. You will get the numbers for FREE. You'll pay $$$ for the certificate.

MM traded in 8/9/13 @ 128909 miles. It was fun for almost 8 years. I met airmercpun on 1/17/14. He was the new owner of my former ride. -Now gone.

Update: back in the game with a late build 03 GMGS with some MM add ons like Escape audiophile radio w/Sirius sat radio, rear sway bar, catback exhaust, and header panel.

Rest In Peace:
    Alex "Marauderboi" Vachon 3/2/92-8/13/10
    Paula Babineau 1/9/67-8/2/11
    Rex Weinbender
    Peter

See my garage file for part numbers and whatnot.

IMHO, this site- the members that I chat with- and the ones that I now Hang with- are like my 2nd family. There is such an ongoing welcome feeling here that even members who don't or no longer own the MM can feel.

Quote Originally Posted by STAPrap View Post
    Hey guys,I have a 1999 Crown Vic with a very recent cracked manifold intake.It is leaking rad fluid at a very low amount apparently at this point in time.
    It's over a grand to fix and the car has over 100,000 miles on it.If I fix it hopefully nothing else goes on the car,like the tranny for example.

Anyhow,is this a big deal,apparently this isn't very common.Can I keep on driving and see what happens.

thanks guys,

DD
    I don't think it is feasable to fix spend 1K to fix a 100K mile vehicle.
    I would drive it till it drops .
    Just my 2 cents.
    2003 Marauder 300B,
    6468 out of 7839 - Thanks Brian
    Heated Seats
    35% Tint
    Mercury All Weather Mats
    Trunk Organizer - Thanks MartyO
    Sold 4/3/2009 Now resides in AL.
    1961 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible
    1973 Oldsmobile Toronado
    2012 Kia Sedona Van
    2008 Corvette Convertible
    2003 Marauder 300 A Thanks Larry O 6/14/17
    2021 Prius Prime Limited
    2023 Chevrolet Silverado High Country
    Member # 440
    ----- John

Lightbulb

.....right,but was thinking of getting rid of it maybe while it is still a pretty good car.Trade it in within two weeks or so type thing.
    I wonder how long I can drive it like this for?I really like this car...hmm

DD

ps-trade it in for a MARUADER
    "Pumpin' out da Vic's"

What is a Maruader??? hummmm? go around back and read Marauder.

The cracked intake manifold is a recall for years with the 4.6 I think it went to 100000 miles.. I certainly would just run some radiator sealant and a lower pressure cap.

....ah so my fingers are too fat to type right,hahaahaa

Believe me,I do know how to spell Marauder correctly!!!!

cheers guys,-sorry

DD
    "Pumpin' out da Vic's"

JB Weld????

Then sell???

KillJoy

I wouldn't recommend driving it until you determine that it's leaking only externally and not internally. Getting any amount of coolant in the oil will contaminate it and ruin your bearings. You can check by taking off the oil cap or dipstick and looking for any milky colored residue to foamy deposits.

I also wouldn't use radiator sealer, it'll just gunk up the cooling system and most likely will not seal the crack.

RoyLPita is correct, if you're mechanically inclined the manifolds are only about $200 or so and the job shouldn't be that bad. If you aren't, see if you have any mechanic friends, a $200 manifold and pizza and beer might get the job done. They sell a revised version that will not crack.

Even if it's an external leak it may get worse. You want to avoid coolant in the oil or the expense will grow.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

Ok thanks Breadfan.Yah just got it from mechanic a few hours ago and he did fresh oil change and didn't notice anything in the oil or didn't metion it anyway.

I don't have the time to get into that project right now actually.I will keep driving the car to work n back and think about stuff overnight here.

I did find a 2003 MM with 43,000 kilometers for $20G Canadian.It's been on the lot for like 6 months already.Is this a good deal?

DD
    "Pumpin' out da Vic's"

If my Canadian $ converter in my head is functioning, doesn't sound too bad if it's in good shape. Sitting inventory is not good for dealers, keep that in mind, more room to wheel and deal for you.
    Trilogy #112 (self installed)

- Trilogy S/C (Stock pulley/tune) - 4.10's - JLT - SS Inserts - 4" Megs -

12.99@106.2mph (for now)

My Can - Am calculator says it's $20K in either place.... Best be a cherry ride, 43 Klicks ain't bad...

Yea dude, leave it as is, start searching for a new ride. However I thought Ford was replacing these under a TSB of somesort?
    '03 A #1801 - Tuned By Outlaw Dyno
    445rwhp/408rwtq - 12.6/110mph
    DR Vortech NOIC #5
    Sold
    '88 Mustang LX - Built 306ci, built AOD, built 8.8"
    '11 F250 Powerstroke - 476hp/1208tq

It is only a matter of time, and I bet not much time either. As others have said it is not a hard job.

'98 MGM LS...sold..................... .............................. ..'03 300A...sold 6/17

It's only a freakin' intake manifold, you don't need to sell the car over it. Nor would I 'drive it 'till it drops' because it has 100k miles. 100k miles on a -02 panther is NOTHING.

Anyways, it's extremely common and effects all '96-'01 4.6s. You can get a new manifold and install it yourself in a few hours for about $200. Like Royl said, the hardest part is just removing the crash bracket on 98+ cars.
    Here is a detailed how-to:
    http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

You can try JB weld, but it probably won't work. Most who have attempted this were unsuccessful in repairing it, though there were a few who got it to seal fine.
    Once it starts to crack, it's only a matter of time before it completely blows apart on you with heavy throttle. So try not to drive it until repaired.

The manifold WAS recalled, but you may be out of the recall period.
    Last edited by Drock96Marquis; 09-13-2007 at 08:43 PM.
    -My Homepage and Panther tech-

My Mint 96' Mercury Grand Marquis Supercharged LSE -
    Modifications
    Click My Merc for more Pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Drock96Marquis View Post
    It's only a freakin' intake manifold, you don't need to sell the car over it. Nor would I 'drive it 'till it drops' because it has 100k miles. 100k miles on a -02 panther is NOTHING.

Anyways, it's extremely common and effects all '96-'01 4.6s. You can get a new manifold and install it yourself in a few hours for about $200. Like Royl said, the hardest part is just removing the crash bracket on 98+ cars.
    Here is a detailed how-to:
    http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

You can try JB weld, but it probably won't work. Most who have attempted this were unsuccessful in repairing it, though there were a few who got it to seal fine.
    Once it starts to crack, it's only a matter of time before it completely blows apart on you with heavy throttle. So try not to drive it until repaired.

The manifold WAS recalled, but you may be out of the recall period.
    exactly what he said!!!!!!don't drive it....you'll be able to find lots in the auto wreckers...cheap...if you're thinking of scraping the car,why don;t you try the repair...it's easy!what do you have to loose?...it'll be cracked behind the alternator..the updated one has a aluminum coolant crossover unlike the plastic one you have now...there is probaly lots of retired cabs out there with good manifolds??
    4;10's,JLT RAI,and Lidio's sct live wire,new air freshner,.......and now #153 Trilogy..377 hp and 400 lbs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information